Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
animal_ef
Starter Motor

Default dev 6 cam and auto

hey guys im thinking of gettin th emassive dev6 cam in my falcon with a reconditiond head, ph4480, ss induction kit and re conditioned motor.... my car also will have a ef auto police ecu - which is very similar to the xr6 one.....

will i be able to run the dev 6 cam? i want a lumpy idle, brendan mock told me that i could run it if i wanted but i wanted some more opinions and please dont start saying that jmm is no good or too expensive because i know for a fact that they WILL work.

btw ported heads, lsd diff and stallie are coming later as well

thanks guys.

animal_ef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

are you planning on driving this car daily?

secondly why go a 'dev 6'? plus if you do go a dev 6 your computer is gunna run your car like . you'll have to get a new one to get the cam to work to it's full potential.

your better off getting your head worked when you get the cam cause the head won't flow enogh to match the cam.

just my 2 cents
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
Holbrookau
OPT 20

Quote:
my car also will have a ef auto police ecu - which is very similar to the xr6 one.....
Are you sure about this? AFAIK the Police Pack cars (unless it was an XR) are only GLI with a mid series BEM - an XR ECU is programmed for the higher compression, bigger cam head. The only benefit of the PP ECU is no speed limiter.
Obviously I would be pleased to be proved wrong (that PPs actually have an XR head) given that I have one. ;)
Polished Wheel Nuts
Holbrookau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
animal_ef
Starter Motor

why go a dev 6? because i can!!!! : the reason i wont get the head worked at the same time is because im a first year apprentice and i cant afford it

Holbrookau, the police ecu also has different shift point and i think different air to fuel ratios as they were meant for high speed persuits

other options for me are the dev5 and dev5hl but the dev 6 is the biggest and most aggresive so thats why i want it, i dont mind if its slower around the street, i dont speed in residential areas, if i want to go fast ill take it to a track.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal_ef
why go a dev 6? because i can!!!! : the reason i wont get the head worked at the same time is because im a first year apprentice and i cant afford it

Holbrookau, the police ecu also has different shift point and i think different air to fuel ratios as they were meant for high speed persuits

other options for me are the dev5 and dev5hl but the dev 6 is the biggest and most aggresive so thats why i want it, i dont mind if its slower around the street, i dont speed in residential areas, if i want to go fast ill take it to a track.
only thing is if you want it to go 'fast' you will need the head flowed to at least 400hp and if it aint a xr6 head you will need the bigger exhast valves. whats the stats on that cam? what sorta duration and lift? and that computer has no chance running the cam economically around the 'street'. i have a crow stage 4 and i need a new computer for it so that cam will.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
Holbrookau
OPT 20

Higher shift point is a possibility - goes to redline at WOT in normal mode (economy seems just like a standard Falcon), but I'm not sure about differing air/fuel mixture. Either way it wont help you with that cam - probably be undrivable with any factory ecu and the stock auto. Not getting the head done for a cam like that is just a waste of time and money. Go a smaller (streetable) cam to start, save your money and do it properly.
Polished Wheel Nuts
Holbrookau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #7
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

get the cam, headwork, and a FPR, you should be alright

As said though, i wouldnt go near it without headwork. I wouldnt be surprised if you went backwards in power
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

I agree with BoostedEF. The reason is that I made 197hp at the wheels on a standard cam (don't ask me how, it's just a freak). I went to a middle of the road type cam on the std ecu and dropped 9hp at the wheels.

Dude a cam on it's own will send you backwards if you don't modify stuff around it to suit.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it was me (this is what i done) leave it for the moment. let ya mates take the out of ya, then get it done don't tell em, and smash the out of em. thats what i'm doing anyway. look out 5.0l holdens here i come.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:19 AM   #10
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

ummmm wtf is a dev 6 cam????
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #11
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbrookau
Higher shift point is a possibility - goes to redline at WOT in normal mode (economy seems just like a standard Falcon), but I'm not sure about differing air/fuel mixture. Either way it wont help you with that cam - probably be undrivable with any factory ecu and the stock auto. Not getting the head done for a cam like that is just a waste of time and money. Go a smaller (streetable) cam to start, save your money and do it properly.
My xr6 will redline at WOT in normal if you don't back off and let it change earlier...

Just my 2 cents.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
animal_ef
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVWEPN
ummmm wtf is a dev 6 cam????
the biggest cam avalable at jim mock motorsport - and im starting to realise that bigger may not always be better.... maybe a dev 5 would suit me better...
Old 11-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I was thinking about the dev 6 or the monster 195 rwkw crow cam.The problem is how will it go on the street? I suppose you wont know until you try..What the heck..if you can take a risk ,why not try it?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #14
animal_ef
Starter Motor

i was talking to brendan mock about his dev6 cam and he said he just installed it into a falcon speedway car and made 209rwkw!!! he said that it wouldnt be fun to drive on the street and would be llllllllllllllllllllllumpy! which isnt always a bad thing, the only thing that would worry me would be fuel consumption, do you think if you uped the base idle to say 900 or 950rpm it would help a big cam like that? imagine the doughy bottom end power! how could we help create more power down low....up the base idle? dial the power in earlier?? broadband manifold? good extractors?

useless..... the biggest problem i see on the street would be reliability, not of the cam but of the rest of the motor