Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Wink Which fully synthetic oil for the Intech?

G'day all,

Following the eagerly awaited arrival of my Odyssey PC680MJT battery, it seems the only thing I have not organised is new oil. The oil in the engine has been there for years and I am not going to run the engine before draining it for obvious reasons. Relative to all the expenses, the cost of fully synthetic oil is no big deal... the question is which kind, and what thickness. It will probably be changed again well before the 5,000 km mark just to help flush the old oil out.

The engine for those who don't know is an AU III Intech with about 55,000 kms. I plan to look after it. The 710 cap indicates 10-30w oil is recommended, but I'm not sure if that applies when it's done this many kms?

Anywho, if anyone has any info or recommendations, I'm all ears.

ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
Sundeep
Banned

Cool. Got no idea about the oil, but what needs to be done now before it can be started?

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Damo
Banned

I reckon for what it's worth just run something cheap for a about a thousand k's cause there is no way you will get all the old cruddy oil out. Then uhmmm I don't know. :P
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah just go the specified oil grade and change again in a few thousand K's. Some mid priced stuff will be fine.

In stockers I feel Oil is Oil despite what they say :P
Old 08-04-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Cheers for the replies guys, it is definitely tempting to run a semi-synthetic for 1000 kms or so, but I am still leaning towards paying the extra and running fully synth for 3,000 kms or 3 months (more likely to be the latter knowing me). I am unclear if there are quality differences between the different brands, but I have heard of high-grade dinosaur oil being legally marketed as fully synthetic... which is a trap I'd rather avoid.

Sunny, most of the stuffing around has been to do with A/C compressors and the use of the ED manifold. The EA and AU ones are both no good, so I've bought an XH one off Ebay. If that doesn't work I am going to start jumping up and down and throwing tools. The only mechanical parts missing now are bolts and clips, and a trip to JRs with Dellboy is scheduled for tomorrow! Hopefully we'll start it over the next few days.

On another topic if anyone has access to a welder please let me know!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a welder. What do you need. Im borrowing it off a mate though so I dont know if I can leave it at your place or not.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

If he would accept a carton, I'd love a chance to borrow it. There's already a mask here and I am waiting on some G clamps which should arrive during the week. It's for the front K frame bar.

Not to get off topic, I'm still interested in any oil recommendations too. ;)
Old 08-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think he drinks beer. You might have to get him a slab of cougars or something. Ill have to ask him first and let you know. I should be seeing him tonight.

Good to see the car is finally gonna be moving. Are the turbo plans still in the pipeline?

I would go with the recommended viscosity in a good name synthetic. Im using Motul in my torana once it starts moving.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

I use Penrite Sin 35w in my EF xr6.

Love it.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #10
Sundeep
Banned

With the front K-Frame bar, while you're down their chuck some bolts through it as well. Doug's car went in for a engineer's certificate when he sold it to someone in NSW and that's all it needed to pass.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #11
NZ
~~~

Is the motor in the car?

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #12
TUFED6
Banned

Still running XHP in my motor, but about to change to a 5 or 10w synthetic. Probably Motul or Royal Purple.

I'd just run it on XHP for a few hundred km's, then change to something better if you feel like it. Because its been sitting for so long (i assume) perhaps squirt some oil down the bores and turn it over by hand for a bit.

- John

P.S. Where/How much for the battery?
TUFED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I run Penrite HPR10 in my AU2 I6 with 120,000 km on the clock. It stays golder for longer (ie still gold at each change - approx 10-12000km).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Cheers guys, Penrite seems to have the most votes so far.

I like the idea of flushing a bit more of the old oil out. Basically the engine has been sitting since '04 (from memory!) and is out of an '01 or '02 AU. The internals are absolutely spotless, but I just don't like the thought of the crap in the sump. It was installed in the car last year and awaits finishing touches.

Thanks, will keep you posted!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #15
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

Pics Jack, pics ! Help refresh my memory a bit.

BTW, I use Castrol Magnatec. No worries.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post