Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
phildee

Default Which transmission fluid is best?

After fitting an auto cooler today and finding my oil pretty much black ill probably do a full change in the next few weeks.

Are any brands of auto fluid better than others or should i just get whatever is cheaper?

Cheers, Phil

phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildee
After fitting an auto cooler today and finding my oil pretty much black ill probably do a full change in the next few weeks.

Are any brands of auto fluid better than others or should i just get whatever is cheaper?

Cheers, Phil
I'm sure there will many opinions on this, as heaps of guys do their transmission services themselves.

I don't myself, but if I did, I would just ensure that the fluid meets the factory specs.

All the best with it.

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

95LE Ford 4-speed auto fluid is the only "type" of fluid that should be used.
Brand ... well ... everytime I get mine done at Crescent Motorsport ... they always use Gulf Western in the plastic drums ... that's the only brand I have ever used.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

I did a full service on mine when put in stall and cooler and used the castrol TQ95 and mines a BTR97 but their all the same, or you can use the full sythetic one which i think from mem is called transmax z its in a silver bottle but costs heaps, just service more offen i say.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

One thing i did notice is that with my shift kit now even on the lowest shift its still smooth but quick whereas before it was a bit rough and my oil was still red but must have broken down, oh and first gear whine is almost impossible to hear but i did a complete dryfill. hope it helps.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
I did a full service on mine when put in stall and cooler and used the castrol TQ95 and mines a BTR97 but their all the same, or you can use the full sythetic one which i think from mem is called transmax z its in a silver bottle but costs heaps, just service more offen i say.
TQ95 is fine ... just don't use Dextron III ATF ... otherwise you'll be needing a new gearbox ... for some reason it turns to treacle in Ford gearboxes and kills them.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post