Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
G&D PERFORMANCE
G&D Performance Australia

Default G&D Airbox

In clarification with regard to our recent AU I6 Airbox test:

1. The air box & intake pipe used for the base test was not the standard factory unit. This test was only about a comparison of Caspers car in its prior state for before & after purposes.

2. The dyno graph published starts at 3600rpm due to the fact that the car has a 3000rpm stall converter & needs to be run past the converter at the beginning of the run for accurate results.

3. The 4 kw gain seen at 3600 rpm was a comparison against Caspers intake which had a 3 inch steel intake pipe running into an internal pod filter inside the factory box. There is no internal bell mouth on either filter or pipe.We believe that this may hurt intake air speed hence our results found in the paragraph below.

4. We tested this 3 inch steel inlet pipe in conjunction with our air box system & found a 2-3 kw loss across the entire rev range. Had the factory inlet pipe been used in the initial dyno run then the difference @ 3600rpm may have only been 1-2 kw’s.This test was not about that though, it was only to compare against what the car came here with. All work was performed on the dyno & on the same day. As we all know too well different days & different atmostpheric conditions can see varying results.

5. We posted this dyno graph showing air fuel ratio’s just to dispel any major ECU relearn concerns.

6. We have seen on average 10rwkw’s gain on each & every AU V8 we’ve fitted our box to & to be honest I would have been happy to see 5kw’s from the I6. I’m not saying that we’ll see the gains we’ve seen on Caspers VCT on every other AU I6.As for that we’ll just have to wait & see as our R&D progresses.We’ll keep you all posted.

Regards

Glenn

Attached Images
File Type: gif DYNO.gif (53.0 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by G&D PERFORMANCE; 20-03-2006 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Adding Dyno Graph
G&D PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

:
Well said Glenn, looking forward to it on my ute. As soon as Caspers is done . :evilking:

Mick.

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Can't argue with that.

Small question, how much the airbox supply only Glenn?
Old 20-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Any pics of what it looks like in the car?

How much is the expected cost
Old 20-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
G&D PERFORMANCE
G&D Performance Australia

Pics are available in the G&D forum & on here in the G&D AU 6 flash tune thread.

Cost is $645 plus $66 fitting
G&D PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I think you guys have unecessarily explained yourselves enough in regards to the box results. It works. End of story!

Now, on another note, why is my car still sitting in MY driveway when it should be in YOURS!
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&D PERFORMANCE
Pics are available in the G&D forum & on here in the G&D AU 6 flash tune thread.

Cost is $645 plus $66 fitting
The box was quoted as being $595 + $66 fitting
here, just curious which price is correct?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
The box was quoted as being $595 + $66 fitting
here, just curious which price is correct?
*Edit - Only went to Kev's post and not G & D's*
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&D PERFORMANCE

6. We have seen on average 10rwkw’s gain on each & every AU V8 we’ve fitted our box to & to be honest I would have been happy to see 5kw’s from the I6. I’m not saying that we’ll see the gains we’ve seen on Caspers VCT on every other AU I6.As for that we’ll just have to wait & see as our R&D progresses.We’ll keep you all posted.

Regards

Glenn
Mine should give a good indication then of the potential gains on a 6, eh?

For those who are curious as to airbox results, mine should give a reasonable example; stock I6 going in for extractors, exhaust, cat and airbox mods. Hopefully all done wednesday :sm_headba
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Glenn I am NOT a believer at all but...... you guys are thorough and you post up some good detailed explanations that I am running out of arguments against.

So i throw away my home built effort put back the stupid looking 55m concentrator part of the AU plastic inlet and run the G7D airbox and I will get up to 10rwkw.

I would be happy with 5 for $700 if it works.

maybe i will try
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL_AU6
Now, on another note, why is my car still sitting in MY driveway when it should be in YOURS!
Cause theres a black AU already hogging all the space :P

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #12
XRQTR
TBA Customs

So this was a 10kw gain at the wheels with nothing but the box?? no edit??

If thats the case then shouldn't you guys be backing up these numbers with at least a couple more cars, I don't mean to be sceptical but unfortunately I am, I don't see how just a box can give this much gain. If you guys can back these numbers then that would go a long way to convincing critics like me.

My ute is available if you like its an AU II XR6 VCT, I don't want any freebies don't get me wrong, just would like to see for myself.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #13
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Here we go again : : :

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR

If thats the case then shouldn't you guys be backing up these numbers with at least a couple more cars, I don't mean to be sceptical but unfortunately I am, I don't see how just a box can give this much gain. If you guys can back these numbers then that would go a long way to convincing critics like me.

My ute is available if you like its an AU II XR6 VCT, I don't want any freebies don't get me wrong, just would like to see for myself.
There will be 2 more AU I6's getting the box within the next 2 weeks (one is there right now) so there will be comparisons soon.
I expect my airbox was actually crap and that the 10rwkw was more that possible on my particular car.

Old 21-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #15
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I expect my airbox was actually crap and that the 10rwkw was more that possible on my particular car.
You are talking about the old one right??? lol
Old 21-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
You are talking about the old one right??? lol
correct

Old 21-03-2006, 12:21 AM   #17
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Might be good to see the comparisons done between the factory boxes and this one, seeing as how their would be spares you should see what the diffesrence would be on yours as well, for parity and also equalising all variables. At least this way you could get a good average between the three cars.

Good Luck
Old 21-03-2006, 02:05 AM   #18
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:

From what i have read there have been more than a few results on AU 6 and V8's that have gotten 10+rwkw
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 03:04 AM   #19
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Angry Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Glenn I am NOT a believer at all but...... you guys are thorough and you post up some good detailed explanations that I am running out of arguments against.

So i throw away my home built effort put back the stupid looking 55m concentrator part of the AU plastic inlet and run the G7D airbox and I will get up to 10rwkw.

I would be happy with 5 for $700 if it works.

maybe i will try
By now I though It was common knowlwdge about the restriction with the pipe to the airbox? Such people as Jim Mock Motor Sport & tests in the workshop section of aufalcon.com have proved that.Just looking at it you don't have to be a brain surgeon to realise it is restrictive! You quoted it is basically worse than stock??? from the experience with Caspers's car. C'mon, lets be realistic I can see your point of view with the airbox but that comment will ensure you will loose credibility! There maybe some more Non Believers!! I hope you prove me wrong!
Old 21-03-2006, 07:04 AM   #20
AU-Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
By now I though It was common knowlwdge about the restriction with the pipe to the airbox? Such people as Jim Mock Motor Sport & tests in the workshop section of aufalcon.com have proved that.Just looking at it you don't have to be a brain surgeon to realise it is restrictive! You quoted it is basically worse than stock??? from the experience with Caspers's car. C'mon, lets be realistic I can see your point of view with the airbox but that comment will ensure you will loose credibility! There maybe some more Non Believers!! I hope you prove me wrong!
Thinking about this, there are a couple of plausible factors that might come into play:
1. The larger filter will have lower air velocity through the media and this may promote less turbulence, or even laminar flow within the intake piping. This would be a good thing, as the pressure drop would be surprisingly low.
Somebody with more knowledge of Reynolds numbers for air may be able to advise here.
2. The standard AU tapered intake pipe may be reflecting the intake pulses back toward the intake valves causing a scavenging effect on air from the filter. I've read somewhere that the AU standard intake has an efficiency of greater than 100%, and this pulsing might explain that. Because the taper is long, the effect is probably reduced, but will occur over a greater RPM range.
Possibly a shorter tapered section could be trialled, to match the RPM range of the cam being used and the BBM runners in effect at that range.

Just my 2c worth....feel free to correct me please
AU-Hog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #21
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

2 things i wanna ask
why are the air fuel mixtures the same
and why is there a increase in power but no major change in air-fuel ratio

im not dusputing the power gain
just wondering thats all
Old 21-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #22
XDSLIDER
BIG LUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddys
2 things i wanna ask

just wondering thats all
Actually Freddy,
It has leaned out the mixtures a bit over the top of the run which would obviously tell us that there is more air available to the engine in this RPM range. This would also prove that there was a restriction in the air intake that has been partially rectified.

Well I can see the difference, can't anyone else?????
Its all there on the dyno sheet. And how rich do these cars run with a factory tune???? WOW

LUKE

XR6BBQ.......... Just when you thought I had given up!!!
XDSLIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #23
AU-Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddys
2 things i wanna ask

just wondering thats all
The increase in power would be due to a greater mass of air entering the cylinders at a given engine speed. Air-fuel ratio would only need to change to change fuel burning characteristics, ie flame-front velocity, exhaust gas mix, etc.

In fact, the air-fuel ratio on the dyno chart is more constant over the RPM range tested with the G&D CAI than with the previous intake design which richens out past the peak power RPM, so the burning efficiency at high RPM may be better, and certainly will be more tunable with an edit. This also shows that the engine may be given a more radical cam without CAI restriction limiting the engines breathing capacity.
Old 21-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #24
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

ok

i just found it strange that such an increase in power didnt really change the air fuel ratio much thats all
Old 21-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #25
1TUFFUTE
Banned

now i get it, thats much easy to under stand now

one question... whats a bellmouth and how does it work for improvments?
Also with the air intake u use, is it possible 4 too much air to get in the box or is it the more the merrier?
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #26
AU-Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev5 ute
now i get it, thats much easy to under stand now

one question... whats a bellmouth and how does it work for improvments?
Also with the air intake u use, is it possible 4 too much air to get in the box or is it the more the merrier?
Think of a trumpet or air-horn shape...that's a bellmouth. It allows the air to flow into the intake without any sudden direction changes and so promotes smooth straight air flow with little turbulance, and therefore low airflow resistance.