Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Default image Copyright questions..

If i find a falcon pic on a website, can i crop it, use it for how i want to for say, a logo on a website im making? what are the laws? what if you CANNOT contact the actual person to ask?

Old 16-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have a look here:
http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/ip/copyright.shtml
Regards,
Tote
Old 16-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

I may be wrong, and I don't wish to incite an arguament if I am, but how I think it goes is that if there's a sign of the image itself being copyrighted (eg: copyright text on the picture, in the picture properties or on the site that directly refers to the picture in question as being copyrighted), it might be best not to use it without the approval of the image owner (not quite the right word?). Otherwise, images on the internet are pretty much free range.

I'm not sure of legalities, but I think if you do use an image you find on a site somewhere, there probably would have been someone, somewhere, who's done it before you. Contact whoever put the image up on the site if you're really that worried.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #4
BJ
Banned

Yep what Woz said. The person who took the photo has the copyright you will need there OK to use it. Copyright is a bugger of a thing to get around as well.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Copyright law is extremely simple yet SOOOO many people have their own different interpretations (most likely because they haven't taken the time out to learn)
In short - with regards to images they are instantly protected by copyright law from reproduction (regardless of whether the image contains copyright info on the image or not)
The owner of the copyright is the person that took the image itself, unless the copyright has been transferred to another by agreement with the original owner. This agreement may carry limitations, such as allowance to have one print of the image in your possesion.(means you cannot make unauthorized copies of the image electronic, printed or whatever) As you can see - this also covers pictures taken on the internet.
There are a couple of minor exceptions in the rules regarding reproduction without the (c) owners express consent, such as use for editorial discussion etc.

In short - if you intend to use a picture taken, prepared by another person, you need their consent. (usually discuss the precise planned time of use, how it will be used, etc)
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
In short - if you intend to use a picture taken, prepared by another person, you need their consent. (usually discuss the precise planned time of use, how it will be used, etc)
And what did i say in my post.You are the one who has made it harder. I deal with copyright all day every day. I have to with the line of work i do.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post