Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

Default Engineers/Computer Gururs

hey guys,

I personally dont even know if this is possible however someone may be able to help..

is there a program that i can use to design a 3d object and have all the measurements for it there for it to be built ? sort of like a CAD program im guessing..

what im tryign to do is actually design my exhaust manifold or play around with ideas for exhaust manifolds/intake designs before spending money on fabricating them and having them not work properly...

any advise on what program would be suitable for this type of application would be tops, or any advise via pm would also be great

thanks guys

borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

A friend of mine uses IronCAD to design his robots. Maybe you can try that.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, I'm a Mech Engineer (trade level, but did diploma a few years back), been one for 30 years. Did a CAD course a while ago, and unless you've got 500 hours spare to learn the very basics, forget it.

CAD design for 3D, especially curvatures, apexes and arcs, is a uni degree in its own.

Don't want to sound too negative, as some brianiacs might fly through it, but honestly mate, I'm still having trouble drawing straight lines, with years of draft and drawing experience.

Better to find an easier alternative.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
parawolf
beep beep

I second Wokkas' comments. CAD is something you don't just play with like photoshop - it is not easy, and certainly not trivial to produce a result that you could use to generate a prototype on.

A4/A3 cartridge paper, and a set of pencils and an eraser...
Old 01-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are heaps of designs out there just pick one.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #6
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

it was more a hobby thing then anything else, and yeah it wasnt a be all end all situation. i was just wondering if there was a similar product available to the recreational user like myself rather then a degree type program to know it all...
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

I heard etch-a-sketch is a good piece of kit. Used it for all my circuit board layouts for elec engineering.
Too bad it's not compatible with any printers, so you need to take the whole unit in. Remeber to avoid bumpy roads otherwise you'll lose all your work.
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack 6
I heard etch-a-sketch is a good piece of kit. Used it for all my circuit board layouts for elec engineering.
Too bad it's not compatible with any printers, so you need to take the whole unit in. Remeber to avoid bumpy roads otherwise you'll lose all your work.

hahahaha!

isnt etch a sketch one of those red things with knobs at the bottom that u use to draw real basic stuff on???

if so, thats classic

if its not, i thank u anyway for making the mental image. best laugh i have had all day

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Yes, that's what it is. Here's the computerised version
Old 02-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
old_mate
Smash the Boost

hahahaha

u got barbie'd hardcore. Awesome stuff lol

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #11
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Yeah.
Barbie comes round. gives me a Rub and Tug, and leaves. No talking, No cuddles, No hassles.