Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

Default Shocking Suicide

Got some shocking news today, a local teenager, 15, fataly shot himself this morning. Apparently had a lot of stresses in and out of school, just last year he left a suicide note and took of with a gun, but he was found before he could finish what he planned to do..lucky.... also last year had several anxiety attacks at school...very very mis-fortunate that the warning signs were not seen... another young life gone to waste.
Our small little town(pop.600prox) has been left in a state of shock, one thing that go's with little towns is that you know everyone, and everyone knows you. Heart felt sympathys to the Smith familys of Dartmoor. A very dark day indeed.

rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
Rob
Living the dream

One of my mates killed himself... never really been able to let go of it. Terrible thing to have happen. My condolences.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is really sad.. such a young life!!

dont mean to be rude or unkind, but you said the warning signs weren't seen..
Did he have therapy or something after his last attempt? Cos thats a pretty big warning sign...

At least in a small town the family will have so many people that truly care and will help them through everything if they need them to...

Sympathy to the entire family, friends and towns people
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
Yummy Mummy

Just too young. Such a tragedy.

Condolences to everyone. Too many people are dying too young.
Yummy Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 10:51 PM   #5
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery

Did he have therapy or something after his last attempt? Cos thats a pretty big warning sign..
I am fairly confident that he did have some counselling/therapy of some description, but is that enough?
And yes it is to bloody young for such a tradegious event. Mixed emotions of anger, sadness and confusion.
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #6
Paxton
Cobblers!

One of my Mates fell off the face of the earth about 10 years ago. We had just gone away together, and then it came up to NYE. I was at the time, the owner of the biggest car, so I did the lifts and grog runs. I arrived at the party house, expecting to pick him up, but the call never came.

We couldn't get a straight answer from his mother, but it turned out that he had suicided just before Christmas, but after the trip up north. He was one of my best Mates, and he would have had a promising career in Hospitality. He has threatened suicide twice before, and we all talked him off it once. The second time, we couldn't do anything. It was the worst feeling having to do a 'funeral', with all my mates a year after the event, because we missed out. It still makes me upset when I think of what we could have done to prevent the shocking loss. Hell, I still miss him. Every NYE, we all get together, and charge our glasses to Chris.

Forgot to add, he was 19 years old. He had just received an apprenticeship at Aqua Luna restaurant in the Rocks.

RIP.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #7
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidxr6
I am fairly confident that he did have some counselling/therapy of some description, but is that enough?
And yes it is to bloody young for such a tradegious event. Mixed emotions of anger, sadness and confusion.

I guess that is the hard part of any suicide eh... knowing whats enough and what isnt..
It is so sad and as someone else has said there have been far too many young deaths especially in the last few years.
The one I have learnt from a teen suicide (son had 2 friends last year take their own lives) is that its really ok to have feel all those emotions in one hit, and there is no point in trying to deny any of them (if that makes sense)..

Truly heartfelt sympathy to all ...
Old 22-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery

Did he have therapy or something after his last attempt? Cos thats a pretty big warning sign...

At least in a small town the family will have so many people that truly care and will help them through everything if they need them to...

Sympathy to the entire family, friends and towns people
Often the people who unfortunately succeed in killing themselves do so without much warning. Generally speaking they just do it, they don't tell anyone.

The husband of a woman my mother works with killed himself a couple of weeks back - turns out not long before he had called a mental health helpline and was told a counsellor would call him back. The counsellor either didn't get around to or didn't bother calling back and well, the guy ended his life and nobody had any indication at that time that he would.

Apparently he took care of all his finances etc and got everything into order prior to ending it all. Quite sad really.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Never good to hear. Hope all goes well

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #10
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hunter that is really sad to read..... I could almost feel the pain the wife would have felt, (bit more than almost).

I had this really long bit I was writing and changed my mind.. instead ..
condolences to all
Old 24-02-2006, 01:14 AM   #11
nb_351
building the xe...

its pretty sad that people can plan their death isnt it... like the elderly couple in the city that went into a pact together... the husband had cancer apoparently...
and hunter, that is not good is it... its bad enough when a friend doesnt return your call... keeping it short, wishing condolences to all who suffer and endure things like this... everyone thinks it wont happen to them, but when it does.. its oh i should have noticed etc... or should have done something about it, but didnt...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 01:24 AM   #12
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Often the people who unfortunately succeed in killing themselves do so without much warning. Generally speaking they just do it, they don't tell anyone.
Sadly, spot on.

A mate of mine from work killed himself about a year ago now, and no one (especially me) saw it coming. We both went out on a friday night after work to a pub and drank and carried on, he seemed just like any other 'normal' early 20s bloke.

I couldn't believe it on Monday when my boss called me into his office and told me "Simmo isn't working with us anymore." I just thought the silly bastard had called in sick again, but then the reality sunk in. I just couldn't believe it to be honest, no one could, most of all his parents.

The counciller that came to work said that there are two types of suicide. The "real deal" (people who don't threaten/talk about it and just do it) and the "attention seeking" type person who says to people they will do it or tell people they have thought about it. She also said that there is no point worrying about 'what you could have done' to prevent it. Some people are just determined to end thier lives for whatever reason.

Definately not something I would like to experience again, but it really wakes you up to the world in a strange way and makes you realise it's not just all about how you feel..
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 01:48 AM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

It really is the silent killer & SO tragic! It is never published in the papers or on the news.. Now, whether that's a good thing or not, I don't know??
I used to scuba dive with a couple of guys from Police Search & Rescue who told me.. One a week on average goes off the Westgate Bridge! And they'd know, as they have the horrible task of retrieving the bodies. (sometimes stuck in the mud!)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #14
gtfpv
GT

suicide shocking . and so rude and cruel . especially when it is over something stupid like . school marks etc . what a waste .
if school kids only knew that they wont even remember thier hsc results a few years after leaving and woint give ratts about it anyway. its equivelant to killing yourself because the bus came late.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #15
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

My heart felt sympathy to the Family and Friends, I just cant understand why a person would not want to wake up tomorrow, every day can be bad...but there SHOULD always be tomorrow... May they Rest in Peace.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #16
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
suicide shocking . and so rude and cruel . especially when it is over something stupid like . school marks etc . what a waste .
if school kids only knew that they wont even remember thier hsc results a few years after leaving and woint give ratts about it anyway. its equivelant to killing yourself because the bus came late.
Thats the problem with society at the moment. Schools, teachers and the biggest offender, parents, are so pushy towards their kid doing really well in school.

A great deal of the right encouragement is needed, true, but using their performance in the HSC as an ultimatum, and the stress placed on you when you are told that you "need" to go to uni, being pushed on you all the time, you can see why there is so much teenage depression, which then leads onto suicide, self mutilation etc.

My condolences to the family, friends and others affected by this tradgedy.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #17
vanessa0305

We had a young friend of ours committed suicide a little while back. He was young in his late 20's maybe early 30's and a teacher at a private school in Charters Towers. We had dinner with him a few weeks before (we lived an hour and a half away) and he seemed happy and positive for things that were happening in his future. There was no signs at all...nothing...we were all left shocked and questioning each other as to why we couldn't see there was a problem.
vanessa0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #18
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

It's dangerous to assume it was all about school. Life's a messed up place and there could be all sorts of things he'd rather not have dealt with. No point bogging down in the details, the ifs and the buts... a sad loss is a sad loss.

Sad to hear, rapid. In small communities it really does knock everyone for 6.
Old 24-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #19
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Their are a fair few shocking suicides that have happened back in croatia. Two of the most shocking that come to mid is a guy that walked out the front of his house holding a granade. Basically there were bits of him that had to be cleaned out of a tree. The other is were a guy tide one side of a rope to a tree, the other side to his neck, got into a car and floored it :/

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #20
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
Their are a fair few shocking suicides that have happened back in croatia. Two of the most shocking that come to mid is a guy that walked out the front of his house holding a granade. Basically there were bits of him that had to be cleaned out of a tree. The other is were a guy tide one side of a rope to a tree, the other side to his neck, got into a car and floored it :/

Ahhhhh!.. Maybe THAT'S why suicides aren't put in the press?
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 24-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #21
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Theres probably a really good reason why suicides arent in the press, but at the moment I can't think of it. I'm lucky enough that I've never known anyone that has killed themselves. But as you can see above, its all around us.

For that reason, I hold a lot of respect for different Emergency services and even different public transport services. I've heard terrible stories of Train drivers who were involved in suicides without their consent!

One story comes to mind of a person who was a taxi driver. They took a fare to a bridge one night and the person paid for the fare and jumped off the bridge.

The taxi driver quit the next day.

I wonder what the rate of suicide actually is? Would people care about the road toll as much if they knew how many people, annually, were killing themselves?
Old 24-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #22
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
I wonder what the rate of suicide actually is? Would people care about the road toll as much if they knew how many people, annually, were killing themselves?
It's not particularly the nicest stuff to read about... but it's around 2200 people a year in Australia, hence the term 'silent killer'...

I hope its not deemed to be inappropriate to post this information in this thread:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....256DEF00724CDE

But awareness is important.
Old 24-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #23
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
It's not particularly the nicest stuff to read about... but it's around 2200 people a year in Australia, hence the term 'silent killer'...

I hope its not deemed to be inappropriate to post this information in this thread:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....256DEF00724CDE

But awareness is important.
I agree.

I found data from 1999 that says in 1998, Suicide is the leading cause of external death at 2683 people. Of that, 2150 are Men. A ratio of 4:1!

Second in the list is motor vechile accidents at 1,731.

While I think its important to lower the road toll, the fact that I can see repeated references to that throughout the day, but cannot recall the last time I heard about suicide prevention is increadible.

You'd think that the nations number one killer would be more important?

http://www.wesleymission.org.au/publ...&d/suicide.htm

Whats really sad is that, based of those statistics, an average of 7 people a day take their own life. Of every completed suicide, their are around 30 attempts.

That means that every day, over 210 people are attempting suicide.

Such sad news...
Old 24-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #24
aimzes
...fairly odd

suicides a horrible thing, had an uncle kill himself. he was pretty depressed thanks to an insurance company, although i dont blame them completly i beleive they played a big role.

then walking into a mates shed with him to find a mate of his swinging wasnt too nice either. he had problems with the law, very nice kid though. also working in a unit block in wooloomooloo they had a jumper every day i was there. that was a bit sad.
Old 24-02-2006, 07:53 PM   #25
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

suicides are not published as every time they used to run the stories there would be a rash of copycats,
very sad ,
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #26
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah last year a old Primary school mate of mine hung himself.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 12:28 AM   #27
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

There are heaps of people that jump off the Westgate bridge and are never reported in the papers,it's always keeped quite for obvious reason's to avoid more copycats.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #28
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
There are heaps of people that jump off the Westgate bridge and are never reported in the papers,it's always keeped quite for obvious reason's to avoid more copycats.
Cheers John
could it be that the government havent found a way to raise revenue out of it yet.???? maybe they could fine people for suicide attempts or something . this is not meant to be a joke or in bad taste . but it is only things that make a quick buck that makes the news these days.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 11:14 AM   #29
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
could it be that the government havent found a way to raise revenue out of it yet.???? maybe they could fine people for suicide attempts or something . this is not meant to be a joke or in bad taste . but it is only things that make a quick buck that makes the news these days.
The story goes that barriers COULD be installed to prevent jumpers off the Westgate, however this would only send them elsewhere! For instance, In front of trains, which affects lots more innocent people AND incurs stress & trauma claims by traindrivers etc!
Old 25-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #30
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

In suicide the PAIN is what you want to stop. It is with you all the time. The only answer to that kind of pain is to end the reason for it.

There is no sign, there is no sad face, it just gets done. The ones left behind suffer. You would never get over this and would forever feel that you had missed something?
Condolences to the Family and friends of this young person. :(
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post