Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-02-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
OXR60W
Waz

Default Huntsmans

2 huge huntmans in 2 weeks running over my car. My wife killed them both. I I just read that they have up to 200 eggs. What do i do ? We have near had an accident both times these ugly big things come out.

OXR60W is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 03:24 AM   #2
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

I had one living inside the vents at the base of the windscreen on my crapbox magna when I had it.. big mofo too! Scared the crap out of me when it crawled up onto the screen while I was driving once :P

A full can of mortein later shoulda delt with it, but I sold the car not long after anyway and haven't seen anything in the paper about a person being killed by a spider that lived in their white 94 magna so should be cool
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 03:29 AM   #3
OXR60W
Waz

If the bloody things barked or something it wouldn't bother me so much. The 200 eggs they lay could be a problem.

I emailed a spider expert 2nite asking what i should do. I'll start with some of those insect bombs 2moro.
Old 20-02-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

I remember stepping on a large wolf spider a few years ago. Hundreds of little baby spiders ran out from under my foot.
Freaky.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 03:39 AM   #5
OXR60W
Waz

Your a great help,a real comfort.
Old 20-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #6
Rob
Living the dream

Wouldnt wanna set off those insect bombs inside the car...
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

i remember once i saw a huntsman crawl up on the windscreen when i was driving, gave me a fright, then i noticed i was looking at his back, and nothis belly, which meant he was on the inside, Then i got more than a fright !! I am not a spider person !!
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I'd probably run off the road if I saw a spider inside the car. I am terrified of them.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
stiddy
Banned

Its the worst when you dont notice them, and you look down and they are just there next to ya.. big ugly bloody things..
and from what Ive been told flyspray dosnet affect them, just makes them a little drowsy?
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Two days ago I went to put fual in the suzuki and one was hiding behind the flap. I jumped, then filled the car. I leave them alone.
My brother found a mother Huntsman in his bathroom, next day the ceiling was covered in babies. Nothing a can of flyspay and a vacuum can't fix! :
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #11
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Do they actually bite??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #12
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Do they actually bite??????
Yeah they do, but its not a fatal bite, no poison... but I wouldnt want to experience it..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, it hurts but it's not fatal. I just catch them in a tupperware container and let them go outside.
have a look here: http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheet...an_spiders.htm
Regards,
Tote

Last edited by Tote; 20-02-2006 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added a link
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #14
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I hate small bitey things like spiders and snakes. If they didn't control the food chain I would pass a motion to have them made extinct. You get the point I don't like them.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deodourant can and a lighter. Problem solved. Who can be bothered waiting for the spray to kick in.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
Yes, it hurts but it's not fatal. I just catch them in a tupperware container and let them go outside.
Regards,
Tote
Why? Oh Why did I click on that link? LOL

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 05:54 PM   #17
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id chuck a insect bomb in there overnight. Then leave the windows down for a few hours the next day.

I know I have the bastard in my car, ive never seen them and dont want to. I think ill get a bomb soon to avoid it.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
Regards,
Tote

What are you rates to fly to Melbourne?

NB Bring your own Tupperware
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #19
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OH spiders? I thought it sounded like a new yank SUV model, with gunrack as standard.
Old 20-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #20
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by OXR60W
2 huge huntmans in 2 weeks running over my car. My wife killed them both. I I just read that they have up to 200 eggs. What do i do ? We have near had an accident both times these ugly big things come out.
Shouldn't be a problem with any luck. Where I used to park at home I'd accidentally wipe one or two out when I washed the car. Another crawled all over the outside when I was driving home, yet another went in the open driver's side window, across the dash and out the passenger window whilst I was trying to keep the XR off the gutters and also not hit the car in the lane next to me with the driver looking my way in stunned disbelief.

I don't think the females liked the idea of laying eggs in the car, and if one did - you will know about it! More often than not they'll lay the egg sac under a rock or bark and hold guard.
Old 20-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #21
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I found one in our bathroom one night right before getting into the shower. I leant over to get the shower gel out of the cupboard, stood up again, and it was right on the vanity, just centimetres from where my face had been a few seconds earlier.

I yelped, grabbed a towel to wrap myself in, and ran out of the bathroom, until Dad had killed it, and removed it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #22
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

OHhh the poor little 8 legged sweety's.. Just pick them up , or let them walk onto your hand and then put them outside.. There's always hunty's in my house..!!.. But never had one in the car, just those pesky little black ones.
I must admit i did get a few giggles reading about everyones aracniphobia.
:
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #23
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Vacuum cleaner if it's inside, home made flame thrower if it's outside. Chase the guy who's scared of spiders around with it on my hand if it's at work.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #24
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Oh, i know where your coming from man!
I am the BIGGEST pu$$y that has ever walked the earth when it comes to spiders, i dont understand, when i was young ( 5-10) i used to collect spiders and put them in my bed and things like that.....

I had a real bad one once, well not really, but this is the story.
One night i went for a drive with my younger brother to inspect a fire that started in some paddocks near our house, anyway we were on our way home, doing 80 on a main road when i saw something run from my side of the window to the middle and stop, i thouht it was a leaf, but i soon discovered this thing was a huntsman, lucky for me it was on the OUTSIDE, if it were on the inside i would have opened my door and jumped out doing 80. :hihi:

anyway, i spent the next 45 minutes at home, frozen in my car ( 30 degree night ) with my windows up doors closed, waiting for it to go away, i had to call my miss's to come out and kill the damn thing.

i think i have a phobia... do you think?

now i am really paranoid that i have one on my head... :
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #25
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Poor Huntman Spiders have such a bad rep, maybe they need a PR company to market them. Huntsmans in my experience, are none aggressive as long as you don't have a go at them first. I think you'll find that they are more interested in eating insects then humans. I use a glass and some cardboard to catch them and put them outside.

Even though, I am not that scared of them now, I don't think I would be picking them up. Had one walk across the windscreen once and freaked me out, I don't think I would be glad if it happened again but I wouldn't freak like I did before.

White-tail Spiders are a different story, fistier than a wounded Chuck Norris, I kill them on sight (or any that have the mis-fortune to look like them). They give VERY nasty bites.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #26
sfr rob

hahaha, just remembered a very funny thing that happend at my 21st.
We were all outside sitting down having some drinks and on eof my mates complimented my girlfriends new broach (necklace thingo), we both looked each other and said what broach, she looked down and there was this great big hairy dirty huntsman in her cleavage!!!!! Me being the big pussy that I am , jumped up and ran around yelling and spilling my beer everywhere, she just picks it up and puts it in the bush..... ME comes along with aerogard and lighter and sends Mr spider off to the after life. thought i would share that one with you.

Do those Insect bombs actually work?
Old 20-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #27
lisa76
BEU77Y and the BEE55T

I heard the same story about fly spray not harming them, just stunning them. I kind of believe it too. I found one in my daughter's bedroom and I have a real problem with trying to squash them, I just can't do it. So I absolutely doused it in flyspray until it was glowing white with the stuff. I thought I'd definitely killed it - nothing could survive that. How wrong I was. I went to get the dustpan and get rid of it and when I came back it was gone, never to be seen again. I hate the hairy things, but love the stories about peoples' encounters with them! I don't feel like such a sook when I know there are others just like me!

His: BEE55T 80 Series Landcruiser
Double diff locks, Rancho in cab adjustable shocks, 2" lift, GPS, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (offroad) and coming soon Mickey Thompson ATZ Radials
lisa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #28
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I was told once that if you kill one hunstman, expect to see another within the next few days looking for the other one. It sounds silly, but its really consistent. In almost every case, where ive killed a hunstman...within the next two days I usually find another one again.

Chances are you may have seen the last of them
Old 20-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #29
sfr rob

i have heard of people putting them in there mouths and letting them crawl up over there face...
oh, i feel faint...
Old 20-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #30
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

There's a guy at work (the biggest guy at work, actually) who's terrified of spiders. I caught a huntsman in an empty Big M container and waited for someone to leave themselves in the right position. Josh, the big guy, went into the toilets to have a crap. I waited until he'd been in there a couple of minutes so I knew he'd be at a point where he couldn't just up and leave, then walked in and flicked it under the cubicle door.

I thought it was funny. Josh did not.

My old mans sucks them up with the vaccum. Then takes it out onto the gravel driveway. :thebirds:

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project

Last edited by Woz; 20-02-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post