Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-02-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Nik

Default running rich ?

i have noticed after sitting at the lights for a while my idle starts to stutter a bit and little puffs of black fuel smoke comes out .today i retarded the cam as fare back as i could with the vernier gear .now when it just sits there idling you can see little puffs coming out all the time.when i give it a flogging after sitting there idling for a bit ,it belches out a big black cloud then its fine no smoke until i sit there idling again and it dose it all over .
i just recently replaced the o2 sensor,so it can't be that .is this just normal for running a decent cam ,it has a fairly lumpy idle .or could it be some other related prob ,like a stuffed map sensor or some thing.buy the way i am also running a unichip.
thanks ,jake

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has the unichip been tuned to the cam and the adjustments properly?
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
Nik

yes it has,when i fitted the cam it was set on 0 degrese and tuned the tuner said that it wouldn't affect the tune that much playing around with the cam timing,since then i have advanced it 4 degrese ,seemed to idle better and didn't smoke at all .now i have retarded it 4 degrese from 0 setting .

Last edited by Nik; 08-02-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
xr8ute
Back on the road

is the black smoke only at idle? any miss or hesitation under load..?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Nik my mate up North!!! The only way to fix this problem is with chiptorque or edit. The edited ecu will hopefully aim for its happy spot without needing a retune.So far its handling the changes in cam timing well .

The reduced vacuum at idle makes the car run richer at idle but you probably have a few more rwkws..
Also the tuner shouldnt talk unless he has tried different settings with the cam.I say go for it. I did and could not be happier..and to think I was looking at a dev 5 when a twist of the existing cam has finally made me not even want to clean the air filter because its running so well.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
is the black smoke only at idle? any miss or hesitation under load..?
yeah it's only at idle ,no miss or hesitation when i'm up it.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
Nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Nik my mate up North!!! The only way to fix this problem is with chiptorque or edit. The edited ecu will hopefully aim for its happy spot without needing a retune.So far its handling the changes in cam timing well .

The reduced vacuum at idle makes the car run richer at idle but you probably have a few more rwkws..
Also the tuner shouldnt talk unless he has tried different settings with the cam.I say go for it. I did and could not be happier..and to think I was looking at a dev 5 when a twist of the existing cam has finally made me not even want to clean the air filter because its running so well.
how ya going mate.i'd love to get a chiptorque chip would solve all my probs ,just can't afford one at the moment .
it definately hammers heaps harder with the cam retarted ,but it's a pig to drive in stop/start traffic.
i've noticed it uses a lot more petrol with this cam ,with the old one iwas gettin around 460 per tank ,now i struggle to get 400 .
Old 09-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I know your car is going harder . Trust me its your lack of vacuum at idle which sends the maps sensor crazy.The au ecu needs help...Is it still good down low? If not advance it a little. Just remember that just because it may not feel faster it actually may be faster...Also have you reset the ecu?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
Nik

yeah i have reset the ecu,it has lost a bit down low .it used to kick in about 2400 now it kicks in at 3000 and keeps building power all the way to rev limit .am goin to advance it a bit and try and get it to peak around 5600 and see how that goes .
as for it running rich i guess i'l just have to live with it untill i can afford a chiptorque chip.