Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
mattsAU1

Default Confused

Had my AU1 serviced today and got told that the Extention Housing seal at the rear of my auto has busted, he told me to take it to one place and it would cost around $200 to fix. So naturally i did a bit of research on prices and have been quoted anything from $40 - $300, anyone else had this problem and if so, how much and where did you have it fixed?
Im located in Geelong if someone knows anyone in the local area they can recomend.
CHEERS GUYS

mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When mine went it was replaced as part of the next service, only cost bout 25 bucks i think
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
mattsAU1

My mechanic said something bout there is a bush inside there that needs to be removed but the tool used to get it out costs bout $2500, he cant justify spending that much money on something he very rarely would use, other way to get it out is to tap it out from the inside and it would end up costing me bout the same amount after labour and u run the risk of cracking something more major doing it this way.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Umm Id take it to a Ford Dealer if you havent already... $2500 for a tool to do it?? sounds a bit dodgy to me...
Old 07-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayner22
Umm Id take it to a Ford Dealer if you havent already... $2500 for a tool to do it?? sounds a bit dodgy to me...
he is a family friend so i dont think he would stooge me but i have heard of worse i guess so i think thta might be my next option, unless something else comes up on here, cheers rayner
Old 07-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

its a $15 bit of kit

the seal is around $20 buck iirc

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
its a $15 bit of kit

the seal is around $20 buck iirc
Hmmm maybe the $2500 one is gold plated or sumfen tho...
Old 07-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

extension houseing seal must be replaced very quickly as it would be leaking ATF badly.
take it to an auto trans place and i am sure they will do it for under $200!

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
mattsAU1

got the job done this arvo, cost me $280 for seal, bush, full system flush and service, in doing so have found another minor problem, i have a mandrel bent 2 1/2 inch exhaust and it passes the right side of the gear box as u ford 6 owners would know and they r only bout 1/2 inch away from eachother so the guy reckons that the exhaust would be heating the tranny fluid up a great deal more therefore not being a good thing, as my car isn't fitted with a trans cooler how much roughly would it cost to fit one, can it be done as a home job to save cash and is there another option such as maybe some heat shield b/w the trans and the pipes? Cheers all
Old 08-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #10
stiddy
Banned

maybe wrap your exhaust in that heat wrap stuff down along side the trans?

You can get fairly decent oil coolers for a $300ish - more if you want a fan with them..
not sure on the oil lines/fittings, maybe speak to EnZed or Pirtek or something along those lines..
As for fitting it yourself, I wouldnt have a clue lol sorry..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 08:08 PM   #11
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
maybe wrap your exhaust in that heat wrap stuff down along side the trans?

You can get fairly decent oil coolers for a $300ish - more if you want a fan with them..
not sure on the oil lines/fittings, maybe speak to EnZed or Pirtek or something along those lines..
As for fitting it yourself, I wouldnt have a clue lol sorry..
Cheers stiddy, thanks 4 the help
Old 08-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #12
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

there is a brace that bolts onto the trans that is atleast 2 inches long so I am guessing your exhaust hasn't got that anymore.. Heat tape might be OK but it doesn't like getting wet, I'd look at a price of moving the exhaust over.. Might cost you $100 but a reco trans is $1800'ish

A trans cooler should cost you around $100=$150 bucks for an A4(min) sized cooler kit.. Comes with hoses and fittings and if you have a non XR and can pop the grille out it is about a 15 minute job to fit.. ** you will need a drill or a decent screwgun to mount the stays that fix it to the radiator support panel

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #13
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
there is a brace that bolts onto the trans that is atleast 2 inches long so I am guessing your exhaust hasn't got that anymore.. Heat tape might be OK but it doesn't like getting wet, I'd look at a price of moving the exhaust over.. Might cost you $100 but a reco trans is $1800'ish

A trans cooler should cost you around $100=$150 bucks for an A4(min) sized cooler kit.. Comes with hoses and fittings and if you have a non XR and can pop the grille out it is about a 15 minute job to fit.. ** you will need a drill or a decent screwgun to mount the stays that fix it to the radiator support panel
again thanks heaps 4 the help, i might try the heat shield and see how it goes first then if that fails ill be up for a trans cooler i guess
Cheers
Old 08-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

$300 for a trans cooler? Must be made of unobtainium Stiddy. Try $120-$150 for a BBQ Plate size one!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
stiddy
Banned

haha sorry, must of been a kit that i saw them which included all hoses and stuff??
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 PM   #16
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got mine for $150 and its a genuine ford one!! came with everything, brackets and hoses and all

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post