Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-01-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 
Default Great book about AU / Tickford / VCT / IRS

Hi everyone,

I came across a cool book at the library called:

Tickford: The Joy of Driving
By Gavin Farmer

It covers the development of all the Tickford cars (XR and T-series, Sprint, Fairlane by Tickford, etc) and has quite a bit of info about the IRS suspension development and how they came to select and engineer the VCT. I won't spoil anything but it's a good read, although I wish it had rejected concept drawings and the like, and that it covered the TL50 a bit more.

Anyway, it covers the E-series to AU. I highly recommend it. I'll returning it to the Footscray (Victoria) library in a few weeks.

Regards,

Andrew.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Hi everyone,

I came across a cool book at the library called:

Tickford: The Joy of Driving
By Gavin Farmer

It covers the development of all the Tickford cars (XR and T-series, Sprint, Fairlane by Tickford, etc) and has quite a bit of info about the IRS suspension development and how they came to select and engineer the VCT. I won't spoil anything but it's a good read, although I wish it had rejected concept drawings and the like, and that it covered the TL50 a bit more.

Anyway, it covers the E-series to AU. I highly recommend it. I'll returning it to the Footscray (Victoria) library in a few weeks.

Regards,

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew, I'll be hunting down that one for sure.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
bdennis
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Andrew,
Is there much info on the ED sprint?
bdennis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
TCK-098

just did a search you are looking at between $35-$50 for the book and most online automotive places stock it.
Old 17-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
geza
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Thanks Andrew, I'll be hunting down that one for sure.
Hi Casper, found the book for $45 from Angus & Robertson online.
http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/pro...76953039&db=au

Cheers
Gerry
Old 17-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hmmmm .... Interesting.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #7
Steve_T

Thanks Dauphin, I'll have to grab one too.

Just FYI, on the Pitstop site they describe it as an excellent book but point out... "apart from a minor glitch when the pre-EA six-cylinder Ford engine is reduced from 4.1 to 3.9 litres on page 14" incase anyone doesn't pick it up.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdennis
Andrew,
Is there much info on the ED sprint?
I haven't read pre-AU parts yet. A quick scan hasn't revealed much. There's maybe one or two black and white photos (they're all black and white).

138 pages, softcover, "large" print text, no index. Has strange "selected models" specs at the end, doesn't cover all of them.

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 19-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
bdennis
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dauphin,
OK thanks mate. Will keep an eye out for it
bdennis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #10
Dauphin
Irregular member

Hi everyone,

I've finished the book. It has quite a lot of text about the E series, which I guess is where it all began for Tickford here. The Sprint got a few paragraphs and the realisation of a "hot six" market in Australia was interesting, and how all the XRs sold out pretty quickly.

Doesn't mention the EL much but it says the EF XR6 was quicker than an EF XR8. Is that right?

I've seen the book on eBay as well.

Regards,

Andrew.

Old 31-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #11
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Hi everyone,
Doesn't mention the EL much but it says the EF XR6 was quicker than an EF XR8. Is that right?

I've seen the book on eBay as well.

Regards,

Andrew.

The EFXR6 Manual was the quickest accelerating Australian production car realesed in 1994 including the Genrals performance cars but I read the HSV cars had better top end.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post