Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-01-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
sam-efxr6

Default Climate Control

I have a 96 ef xr6 and wanted to know if it has the wiring etc. for the climate control, because my mate has one he wants to get rid of cheap.

sam-efxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
John_LS1

the engine bay *might* have the wiring. i know the ED's do as i converted a XR6 wagon and only needed the dash loom and heater box plus various sensors and climate module. if you have the engine loom already then its pretty easy to do.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
the engine bay *might* have the wiring. i know the ED's do as i converted a XR6 wagon and only needed the dash loom and heater box plus various sensors and climate module. if you have the engine loom already then its pretty easy to do.
EF and EL didnt get the wiring like we discovered on EB2/ED's. Ford started making different engine looms. Discovered this with the NF wreck and when i looked at EFFALCONS car after suggesting the same thing. ;)

So sorry dude it wont work unless you change your engine / dash and maybe body loom. Isnt worth it really IMO unless your really wanting it like I did

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
EDXR6T

buy a ghia:P
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
JouMa

like i did
JouMa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 12:45 AM   #6
spope
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
So sorry dude it wont work unless you change your engine / dash and maybe body loom. Isnt worth it really IMO unless your really wanting it like I did
You did it the hard way, really :p
You have to add the wires for the ambient temp sensor and that should be it on an EF, in terms of the engine bay.
ECT it gets from the ecu, you will need to install the sun load sensor and the cabin sniffer motor, and it would probably be easiest to hack apart a Fairmont dash loom to get all the wires and connectors.
That's how i installed it in the EA, really not that difficult, hardest part is getting the heater box in + out.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
InitialD
Low and Loud

And your "attempt" to convert to climate control worked? i seem to remember it not working right lol :P

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
Old 02-01-2006, 01:25 AM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not that hard, ive done it to my ED. Mostly time consuming.

If you can get the complete heater box and dash from a Fairmont youve got everything you need apart from the ambient sensor.

A few people have done it to EF/ELs on Fordmods.com and I dont remember anyone needing to change the engine bay wiring. Certainly didnt need to do it to my ED.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
sam-efxr6

thanks for the info, don't know if i should put it i or not now
sam-efxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
spope
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
And your "attempt" to convert to climate control worked? i seem to remember it not working right lol
Considering I figured out all the wiring connections myself, I think my "attempt" was bloody good.
Only thing that didn't work was the air flow to the face, and that was cos I forgot to connect one of the vacuum lines. :P

It's a worthwile mod, IMO, especially at the moment - I just start the car and the a/c does it's thing - fan slows down as soon as the temp is comfortable. Big plus is in winter - your heater doesn't come on until the car has started to warm up - is much nicer than having cold air blow on you.
There is a doco on fordmods.com that can guide you through it if you are still unsure.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by spope
Considering I figured out all the wiring connections myself, I think my "attempt" was bloody good.
Only thing that didn't work was the air flow to the face, and that was cos I forgot to connect one of the vacuum lines. :P

It's a worthwile mod, IMO, especially at the moment - I just start the car and the a/c does it's thing - fan slows down as soon as the temp is comfortable. Big plus is in winter - your heater doesn't come on until the car has started to warm up - is much nicer than having cold air blow on you.
There is a doco on fordmods.com that can guide you through it if you are still unsure.
ahh k, I thought it had power issues or something. Go the ED wiring ;)

Old 02-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #12
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I just finished this mod on my EL XR6...took 2 days to do it right...I bought all the stuff in a "kit" from Ferntree Gully AutoSalvage...they have a forum in the site sponsors section here I think.

Basically I put in a new airbox taken from a CC car, replaced the dash loom with a high series one, added the sunload sensor and ambient temp sensor that sits up front behind the flront bumper. The wiring for that is already there, just a case of plugging it in.
Only thing is I need a high series BEM as the LCD dimming doesnt work now and all dash lights are dim, but thats an easy fix...If you are replacing the heater box you need to drain the coolant and refrigerant too.