Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Default FORD to Cut 25000 JOBS

Guess its not just GM HUH

Ford to Cut 25000 Jobs Here

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
parawolf
beep beep

25000 is a large number, but over 5 years i'd figure that 60 - 75% of this could be done though natural attrition. The problem there, is the best people are usually those that can find another job easily. Which means that they can move out of Ford without too much problem and Ford loses the best and brightest.

You can see this locally. Ford Australia are not getting the top graduates any more as university graduate placement officers are telling students not to accept student/grad positions at Ford because the company has headcount restrictions in place.

Unfortunately this has flow on effects in not attracting the best talent, to losing your best talent and a reduced rate of innovation.

In these sort of times, your best employees need to be identified, cuddled, told that they are loved, show some 'good faith' on behalf of the company for staying (eg bonus, pay rise, discounted stock options, etc).
Old 08-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
paul7v7
bring it on

well everyone has known Ford was in trouble years ago, hence the sacking of Jaq Nasser and Bill ford taking over.

Well hopefully they will start producing some decent cars over there. But also those spiralling healthcare and pension payments have to got to be killing the companies. If they can cut those payments down then they would be in a better position, the unions i am sure are not helping.

they still need to look at the cars they're building. Not only are they crap quality but they're also not building cars people want.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

I could see this happen, with so many car maker rivals, who have there own share in the market, such car makers such as ford and GM, who make so many neiche models, that try and cater for everyone, simply isnt going to work anymore. They both keep trying and trying to grab market segments buy releasing all these new, multi-billion dollar models, to try and compete everyone. ditch some models ford and GM! keep only the ones that are required, have one sports car, one small, one medium, one large etc. ford keep making all heaps of different kinds SUV models, GM keep coming out with all these different of sports cars, how can that be profitable?

the japanese have adapted very well the the shifting in the market, have a look at nissan, about 5-10years ago, they had heaps of different models , each having their own specialized motor and platform, these days their cars share flatforms, and motors, they only have 1 6cyl motor, 1 small 4cyl, 1 large 4cyl, and their cars share platforms, like 250z, skyline, upcoming GTR all are based on the same platform just like ford and holden does! maby Aust has a winning formula.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

you need competition to stay afloat thats for sure
Old 08-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
RATT

It's what too much discounting does.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
EfiJy
Banned

i thought i read here ford were going better than gm?
EfiJy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 11:23 PM   #8
Nugget_TX5
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiJy
i thought i read here ford were going better than gm?
Thats because its a ford forum and there tends to be a tad little bit of bias
Old 09-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
fast66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget_TX5
Thats because its a ford forum and there tends to be a tad little bit of bias
Oh my! you cant say that here! _
fast66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post