Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2005, 11:52 PM   #1
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Default stupid q

hey guys just a stupid q...lookin at buying a new little 3 door hatch for the misses brand new. Not sure what yet, but can you wheel and deal on new cars? I have always bought 2nd hand cars and if the price of a new car is say, for example, 14999 drive away, can you talk them down or is the price on brand new cars set? Sorry for the stupid q, like i said, i have always bought 2nd hand and haggle.

SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can haggle whether it be for a lower outright price, higher trade in, or extras. My mum did all them when we got the our Commy. Just depends on what dealer you go to. That is for a larger car I think smaller cars you can't as much as they go pretty cheap as it is. Maybe go for extras.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can haggle as much as possible,some wont,most will,there was a good example here when someone was after a new typhoon with a few extras they were quoted retail which was around 70-75k,went to another dealer and basically got the options at no extra cost.
you gotta be the one dictating the terms or you will get owned.

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 AM   #4
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

cool cheers...just didnt want to look like a unit trying to haggle on new car prices
Old 08-12-2005, 12:50 AM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also what you might think is a good deal now might also turn into a nightmare later. For example you could get a steal of a price but then you could have trouble with the service department if there are any problems.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 01:04 AM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Fiesta 3 door is your best bet.... im sure youll enjoy it too! Yes, the prices are negotiable. Usually you can get extras though, such as tint and mats thrown in for free? Really depends on the dealer, the car, and the availability of the car. I know with the Fiesta, the new model is out in January, so you should be able to get a good discount on current stock!

I know you want a Ford in the family.... you post quite often on here! And, im sure you dont want a Korean Holden *cough* Daewoo Barina. And please guys, dont start the Holden Korean argument again. Just saying that Fiesta would be a great buy at the moment with dealers getting rid of current stock. I know the place i bought mine from has a Fiesta at $16990 for manual, with lowered suspension, 17 inch rims and ST front-to-rear stripes.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 01:11 AM   #7
R0bb0
AUII XR8 220

On A Current Affair tonight (I think), they tested the small cars and the Fiesta got 5/5, Hyundai Getz 4/5, Toyata Whatevertheycallit 4/5, and Holden Barina 3/5.
R0bb0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 01:15 AM   #8
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

just remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

hate to look biased but the fiesta is a nice bit of gear for what it is, check one out.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 01:39 AM   #9
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
cool cheers...just didnt want to look like a unit trying to haggle on new car prices

Well , you already look like a unit when you drive what you drive ! :

but seriously , yeah haggle and get as much as you can out of em ! and tell them there are many other dealers out there that will do deals if you look hard enough ! Good luck with the buying !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 12:06 PM   #10
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

cheers all. Yeah i saw the current affair thing on last night and the fiesta did drive the best according to that guy. But whats up with no air con? Yaris is real trippy looking. Getz is practical. Barina was a bit rough around the edges but the cheapest.
If the price is right i would get the fiesta. Will wait and see, i may have some blue blood in these veins after all.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:36 PM   #11
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

the fiesta doesn't have much of a margin on it, so you will struggle to negotiate very much on the price of it. Also there is a new model coming in the new year with minor updates, including air con across the range.

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post