Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
gozza

Default Anyone have a pocket racer?

My mate just got one of ebay
49cc
got it working yesterday and man is it small...almost comical....the thing is suprisingly easy to ride...
ive a got a big walking track near my house so we took it there....its got some big sweeping corners.....it apparently gos up to 60km/h but ive never ridden a bike before so i was only going half throttle...but when u give it a rev it picks up pretty good....seeing as tho your so low to the ground it feels pretty fast

only cost $325

gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I can not stand those things!

Are they the mini motor bikes that were recently banned? Id love to knock a bogan off one...lol
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
gozza

lol why don't you like them..

when were they banned? why would you wanna knock someone off...thats not very nice :(
Old 04-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just imported 6 from China - 2 for myself and mate - the others will sell over ebay for a motza.

2 stroke water cooled 39cc - top speed 80km/h - they is massive aftermarket part support now, any type of mod you can imagine. The racing leagues are also building up. Going out to Butterfly Farm meets soon to give racing a go on em!
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hehe hasnt Ghostrider allready tapped into modifying the pocket bikes? I like watching crazy stuff like Ghostrider but be damned if I ever ride one.
Just too scary after seeing my mate come off at about only 40km/h and seeing the pain he was in at such a low speed.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I just imported 6 from China - 2 for myself and mate - the others will sell over ebay for a motza.

2 stroke water cooled 39cc - top speed 80km/h - they is massive aftermarket part support now, any type of mod you can imagine. The racing leagues are also building up. Going out to Butterfly Farm meets soon to give racing a go on em!

sounds mad
what aftermarket mods can you do
ive heard of nos canisters
Old 04-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ah because sh_theads drive them through public streets, they sound worse than bogan utes, and thats saying something.

And most of the dero's I see riding them look like they were dropped at birth.

Im sure on a track, or a private property they would be fun, but stay the hell away from the roads please!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #8
gozza

yeah its very loud and annoying in that sense
no offense man but how can you tell someones dropped at birth just by looking at them...unless they have a dented forehead...
i understand your issue but i have no wehere stated anything bout roads...your making it souynd like youve just seen my on the road and your anoyyed or somthing
Old 04-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you have any pics of it in action Gozza?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
gozza

nope but thats a good idea man
im going to borrow one of mates viedo camera
my mate with the pocket bike is gonna get a helmet and some shin pads and take a certain sweeping corner on the bike track as fast as possible lol....so we'll see...maybe on the weekend i could get a vid of it in action
Old 04-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #11
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gozza I think you are taking what Polyal is saying a bit to much to heart..:

he is simply pointing out the morons that usually and I do say usually ride them on the roads because they think they can... They are an irritating sound, so make sure you dont annoy any neighbours.

My brother bought one a while back and brings it to my property to ride it and goes out bush (where allowed to)

Have fun on it. But remember to be careful (I have also heard of the painful injuries of those that have come off)

Cheers
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah settle grettle..lol

Wasn't having a direct attack on you, just in general.

But if I see you and I am in my car, it will be a broom stick in the guts for you!..jk
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-11-2005, 02:11 PM   #13
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
yeah settle grettle..lol

Wasn't having a direct attack on you, just in general.

But if I see you and I am in my car, it will be a broom stick in the guts for you!..jk

maybe im just a paranoid skitzoid or somthing lol
i didn't think you were attacking me...i just sensed some sort of sarcasm....wateva...its it all good..

if you see me on the road i openly invite you to hit me...
you don't know what i look like haha
seriously tho i wouldn't ride one on the road so you won't have to worry about me
Old 04-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #14
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
sounds mad
what aftermarket mods can you do
ive heard of nos canisters
Mods - you can buy NOS cannisters for about $20 bucks a pop, racing exhausts, steering dampers, racing clutches (for 20,000rpm launches), brake upgrades, aftermarket heads and pistons....the list goes on and on...

As for riding them on the road - lol - "yeah i never ride mine on the road" *cough* *cough*...does the footpath count as the road lol. Seriosuly though usually abandoned carparks on the weekend and would also like to get into the legitamate racing scene.

PS - Rossi started his career as a pocket bike champion.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #15
max^power
Formerly au^ute

are these suitable for kids? i have a 6yo son that would love one of these for xmas!

I'd have to get one that works on the grass, do they make pocket dirt bikes?
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #16
gozza

mad....i just wish i had one when i was 5 yrs old
definately gonna get my kid one(when i have a kid lol) get him trained up at the age of 5 and he can earn me millions as a moto sport champion

well i don't considor the footpath the road...and it wasn't a footpath...its a bike track...doesn't speficy wat sort of bike heheh....ini regards to people walking on the bike path you can just hop onto the grass till you pass them
Old 04-11-2005, 02:55 PM   #17
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^ute
are these suitable for kids? i have a 6yo son that would love one of these for xmas!

well i dunno....its depends on how safe you want your kid to be lol
id be the happiest kid on earth if i had one when i was 6

perfect size for a 6 yr old too...id suspect it would give him excellent bike skills for future years

i have no idea bout dirt pocket bikes...im sure there would be...they got pretty good grip on grass(had to get off the bike path for a pedestrian)
Old 04-11-2005, 02:57 PM   #18
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Be really careful getting a kid one, these things hook along... maybe if you can somehow limit the speed then cool..
They work on grass fine (unless you get a little crazy and dig up the grass) :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #19
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah they make pocket dirt bikes (they are a wee bit more expensive than the road versions but worth it i think for their versatility.)

Safety wise - Well if they are offroad they should be OK (no cages to hit em), and soft grass to fall on, just make sure there are no trees to crash into! Just remember to give the kids a go!

Old 04-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #20
max^power
Formerly au^ute

yeah speed limited would be nice Could probably just limit the throttle movement or something.

I know he'd love it, merlin if you have some left, please PM me before putting on ebay. In fact, that goes for anyone else selling them - sorry thats off topic, back to the topic!

the main reason for getting one would be for fun, but another reason would be for the skills, i'd be giving him skills that i never had at that age.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #21
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the main reason for getting one would be for fun, but another reason would be for the skills, i'd be giving him skills that i never had at that age.
Wish I had started riding at a young age - didnt start till I was 23 - starting him at 6 would certainly build his skills and would also give him a shot at various racing leagues.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #22
aimzes
...fairly odd

mate got done for riding on a footpath, no helmet and a few other things. cost him around $1500 in fines already.

i really wanted to get one but ive got too much other stuff to save for.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #24
gozza

im pretty sure its a 2 stroke
blows a fair bit of smoke
Old 04-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #25
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are all mostly 2 strokes. The difference between the normal ones and the superquick ones are wether they are air cooled or water cooled. Water-cooled models generally have a top speed approaching 100km/h :

Old 04-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #26
gozza

man man man that would be fun