Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Gabbins
Starter Motor

Default My first drink driving related incident

Saturday night, i held a party at my house, me and a mate had a few drinks
And for some stupid reason, we decided to go for a drive.
So far the cruise while drunk was ok, navigated the corners ok around the suburbs, a bird flew across the road,i was on the brake within a reasonable time to avoid the bird, so i thought i was ok.

I thought i had the same amount of drinks as my mate, so i let him drive (it's an AUII fairmont btw).

He grows over confident, understeers into the left gutter coming out of a roundabout around 70 km fishtails down the road, the rear end of the car mounts the gutter and tags the light post and consequently pops the tire.
then rams the gutter and screws the steering over.
Then somehow, a cop manages to follow us home, and my mate gets done.

Now, i'd like to point out that I was extreme anti drink driver before this, and due the amazing way the mind works, u decide to drive drunk.
I was not driving at the time but i consider myself a drink driver anyway.

I understand that we were risking the lives of ourselves and others on the road, and we have been flamed enough for this. Posting insults in this thread isnt going to fix anything now.

Now for some thoughts on the minds of young ppl these days
First of all, for some of us (the idiots), violent commercials aren't really helping, and throwing statistics in our faces isn't going to help either.

The only way to learn for young ppl (not all young ppl), is to learn from living proof.

Defensive driving courses are a good idea, but i think its idea to have a few laps on a race track sober, record an accurate average lap time, then slowly go out for some laps after a drink or 2 and see the results for urself.

i've read many threads on DUI, and i don't recall reading about this idea, so i would like your thoughts and some constructive critism on this idea.

If u feel the urge to tell us that we are stupid, please do so in another thread and send me the link later

Old 19-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Default Your a bloody idiot

Dont even try to justify it, and to think of using more grog on a driving circuit.... bah!!!!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Dont even try to justify it, you are a bloody idiot.
absolutley agree, grow a brain..
do you or your mate realise you could have killed an innocent person???
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess a lot of people see things like drink drive incidents & also commercials on TV regarding the ramifications of drink driving. Some assume it always happens to someone else & forget about these warnings when they've had a few then drive home.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

i dont think he posted to get flamed.
But hey thats what u get for bein a d*ckh*ad

XLS Falcon Ute
Full Sick 2.5 Inch -> To Double 3 Inch Tips Exhaust Sports System
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims
Altezza Tail Bling Bling Lights
Kenwood Head Deck + Amps + Bling Bling Sub
Bright Orange BLING BLING Fordforums.com Sticker

OOoooohh Yeah! Bling Bling

Last edited by XLS99 Ute man; 19-09-2005 at 08:40 PM.
XLS99 Ute man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbins
Saturday night, i held a party at my house, me and a mate had a few drinks
And for some stupid reason, we decided to go for a drive.
So far the cruise while drunk was ok, navigated the corners ok around the suburbs, a bird flew across the road,i was on the brake within a reasonable time to avoid the bird, so i thought i was ok.

I thought i had the same amount of drinks as my mate, so i let him drive (it's an AUII fairmont btw).

He grows over confident, understeers into the left gutter coming out of a roundabout around 70 km fishtails down the road, the rear end of the car mounts the gutter and tags the light post and consequently pops the tire.
then rams the gutter and screws the steering over.
Then somehow, a cop manages to follow us home, and my mate gets done.

Now, i'd like to point out that I was extreme anti drink driver before this, and due the amazing way the mind works, u decide to drive drunk.
I was not driving at the time but i consider myself a drink driver anyway.

I understand that we were risking the lives of ourselves and others on the road, and we have been flamed enough for this. Posting insults in this thread isnt going to fix anything now.

Now for some thoughts on the minds of young ppl these days
First of all, for some of us (the idiots), violent commercials aren't really helping, and throwing statistics in our faces isn't going to help either.

The only way to learn for young ppl (not all young ppl), is to learn from living proof.

Defensive driving courses are a good idea, but i think its idea to have a few laps on a race track sober, record an accurate average lap time, then slowly go out for some laps after a drink or 2 and see the results for urself.

i've read many threads on DUI, and i don't recall reading about this idea, so i would like your thoughts and some constructive critism on this idea.

If u feel the urge to tell us that we are stupid, please do so in another thread and send me the link later
You seem to be still under the influence now....

Old 19-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #7
Gabbins
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Dont even try to justify it, you are a bloody idiot, and to think of using more grog on a driving circuit.... bah!!!!
I'm not trying to justify myself at all, im just trying to prevent this from happening to other ppl
i think the majority of us r smart enough not to do it, but if the idea saves lives i reckon its worth it.

And about the grog on the ciruit, if a v8 supercar driver can slam into a wall at 150km an hr and walk away scot free, then a slighly tipsy person, into a wall at 70km an hr or so wouldn't hurt,(with a roll cage of course) would make them learn not to do it on the road, thus saving lives
Old 19-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

No hesitation in calling you a ing deadset idiotic moron. The filter will edit half of this reply out too.
Old 19-09-2005, 08:37 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
I'm not trying to justify myself at all, im just trying to prevent this from happening to other ppl
i think the majority of us r smart enough not to do it, but if the idea saves lives i reckon its worth it.

And about the grog on the ciruit, if a v8 supercar driver can slam into a wall at 150km an hr and walk away scot free, then a slighly tipsy person, into a wall at 70km an hr or so wouldn't hurt,(with a roll cage of course) would make them learn not to do it on the road, thus saving lives
:

V8SC have huge rollcages and are built to survive crashes like that - regular cars arent.
Old 19-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #10
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Life brings its mysteries... this thread is just another!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #11
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

meh.....
trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #12
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a stupid idea.. getting behind the wheel of a car while under the influence, controled situation or otherwise!!!!!!!!!! I had a very close friend of mine killed by a drunk driver 5 days before my 18th, i don't need to be reminded of what drink driving can do. I spend every birthday mourning for my lost friend... i don't even touch a drop if im going to drive within 24 hours!!!!!! Don't stand there and justify it was someone else driving... getting in the car with a drunk person is justifying their stupidity nothing else!!!
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

So does this mean everyone should go try something to learn the lesson?

Anyone who drinks and drives is a complete Tossa and should be locked up...

Too bad you didn't write the AUII off, might have taught you a lesson, coz it doesnt seem like its sunk in.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Maybe some of you morons need to spend a saturday night in an Ambulance attending fatal accidents or a weekend at the morgue helping out scrape mangled body parts into bags to shock some sence into you all...
:lookedat:

Last edited by 4Vman; 19-09-2005 at 08:46 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #15
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

My brother was at a party, and was feeling hungry so he drove to maccas on the way home he just blanked out and crashed straight into a telegraph pole. The car was a complete write off, it was a camry and he hit it smack bang in the middle, how he didnt manage to kill himself i still cant answer that question..
and yes he got a good punishment.
and you truly have to think before u drive after drinking

XLS Falcon Ute
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims

Old 19-09-2005, 08:42 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Whats the go with the fools in the back of that ute XLS99?

Looks safe.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #17
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Why post this topic unless you want a online asskicking ? ......Bloody idiot.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #18
LUXO_8
windsor user

edit, wouldnt wanna know what i really think........... :
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #19
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Whats the go with the fools in the back of that ute XLS99?

Looks safe.
thats on private property, and only going slowish

and its totally different to drink driving, you react much slower

XLS Falcon Ute
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims

Old 19-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #20
MrQuan
Social Disaster

What's the saying again?... "Drink drive, ...?"

Mate, it sounds like you've learnt a hard lesson and it's a bummer that you've now got a wreck of a car to deal with... but it was a bit stupid to post it here - you know what the majority of responses would be!!

I've you never drink drive again, I say this experience you had was a rewarding one. Some lessons need to be learnt the hard way. You're just lucky no one was hurt. Imagine having an injury or death on your conscience :(

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:49 PM   #21
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

aside from the fact that your going to get flamed for this, your rationale on getting behind the wheel of a race car, after drinking defies logic, given that you are now, supposedly sober.

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND IS GOING TO LET YOU CRASH THEIR RACE CAR INTO A WALL!?

The ONLY good that can come out of this, is that it looks like you've learnt your lesson.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #22
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

My personal thoughts are drink driving laws are way too easy on people.
In QLD a Truck licence or taxi authority requires a 0.00 limit. I have a MEdium Ridgid licence and am expected to be at 0.00 ANY time I am driving a truck, Why is this different to a car? I think 0.05 is stupid, ZERO TOLERANCE is the way to go for EVERYONE. I am quite particular if I have a heavy night on the turps I refuse to drive anywhere before at least midday to make sure its all out of my system. If you know your going to drink plan not to drive.
Old 19-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #23
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

(completely distancing myself from flaming regarding your joyride)

Regarding the "let's do some laps on a track after having a few" idea, I simply don't see how that could work. Think of the insurance, damage, and ultimate waste of time it would be. Sure, there might be genuine people who want to see what the difference is between 0.00 and >0.05, but then there'd be idiots who would want to have a fang while ****ed.

A track owner (business, person, or otherwise) who would use their track for this purpose would be ****ing their money away. They would constantly be clearning up broken glass, fluids, and gouge marks (in the walls and off the track where a car has under/oversteered and lost it). Think of all the carnage that could happen!

Drinking & driving is only cool when you're ****ed with your mates and playing V8 Supercars on X-box (or Super Mariokart! :thebirds: ). In real life, if you want to be in a car and drunk, make sure you're the passenger.

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:53 PM   #24
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
My personal thoughts are drink driving laws are way too easy on people.
In QLD a Truck licence or taxi authority requires a 0.00 limit. I have a MEdium Ridgid licence and am expected to be at 0.00 ANY time I am driving a truck, Why is this different to a car? I think 0.05 is stupid, ZERO TOLERANCE is the way to go for EVERYONE. I am quite particular if I have a heavy night on the turps I refuse to drive anywhere before at least midday to make sure its all out of my system. If you know your going to drink plan not to drive.
Zero limit only punishes the innocent or law abiding, it won't stop drink driving or episodes like these morons because they're over the limit anyway when they do it.

Old 19-09-2005, 08:55 PM   #25
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

well us p' platers (nsw) already have 0.00 limit
i think its good, cause you HAVE to have a designated driver (GAAWD it sucks being it)

XLS Falcon Ute
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims

Old 19-09-2005, 08:55 PM   #26
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Just do everyone here a favour and hand your licence in.
Old 19-09-2005, 08:55 PM   #27
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Quote:
brilliant idea. have a few drinks, get in a car and drive much faster (no such thing as a slow lap on a race track, and after a few drinks, you become even braver) than you would on a road. dont even think that there is an instructor alive that will get in the car with someone drunk, so you will be out there on your own. you are so bright, the labor party will probably elect you as their next leader.

one positive though...you would most likely write off your car completely and the insurance company wont pay a cent. then you wont be able to drive on the roads for quite some time.

truly, you are an excellent arguement for involuntary euthanasia. :
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:58 PM   #28
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
I don't even touch a drop if im going to drive within 24 hours!!!!!!
Same here.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 09:01 PM   #29
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

Do you reckon the guy who posted this, thought he would be cool? for posting the story

XLS Falcon Ute
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims

Old 19-09-2005, 09:04 PM   #30
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yup, you're an idiot.
no, don't learn from smashing race cars.
yup, you'd learn if you hit me while p!ssed, well, you'd have time to think about it in traction anyway.

zero tolerance is the only way.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post