Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 
Default Wanting to buy property

Hi all

After all the searching on realestate.com.au for property, i have yet to find something that i really like.

I am in the market for a house, have been looking around the Templestowe, Doncaster areas, am willing to look into surrounding suburbs also.

Budget will be up to 800K... am very surprised at the lack of qaulity homes in this range.. maybe my expectations are too high. I am after a modern, contempory home, established with no work needed, 4+ bedrooms etc..

If anybody that is farmiliar with these areas and know of any properties that will be coming onto the market, or are on the market, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jem

JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The real estate companies will be more then happy to fax you a list of houses on the books that match what you want, friday afternoon is the best time to get the open for inspection listings to go nad have a look, i think the saturday age get that early, lists auctions and open houses as well.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #3
parawolf
beep beep

Just as a personal preference I prefer www.realestateview.com.au as a home search site than realestate.com.au or domain.com.au (which is HORRID!)

Though the mailouts that domain.com.au do are quite good.
Old 19-09-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Just as a personal preference I prefer www.realestateview.com.au as a home search site than realestate.com.au or domain.com.au (which is HORRID!)

Though the mailouts that domain.com.au do are quite good.
thanks guys for the tips.

I must say i've never looked at realestateview.com.au before.

Will check it out, thanks for that.
Old 19-09-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
RACINGdork
bf xr6t + 351 xe esp weee

ive just spent the last 3 months looking and putting in offers and it was hell. but worth it in the end because i found my dream home.

dont worry somthing will come up!
RACINGdork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Hi all

After all the searching on realestate.com.au for property, i have yet to find something that i really like.

I am in the market for a house, have been looking around the Templestowe, Doncaster areas, am willing to look into surrounding suburbs also.

Budget will be up to 800K... am very surprised at the lack of qaulity homes in this range.. maybe my expectations are too high. I am after a modern, contempory home, established with no work needed, 4+ bedrooms etc..

If anybody that is farmiliar with these areas and know of any properties that will be coming onto the market, or are on the market, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jem
Try around Hawthorn,Camberwell,Canterbury,Mont Albert Surrey Hills area but you may have to fork out a lot more.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 01:05 AM   #7
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well finally found a home - i want to buy it, they want to sell it, yet they can't damn make up their mind and the agent isn't at all interested in making too much effort in selling it to me. Either he thinks i'm full of it coz he thinks the price is out of my range, or he has many interested parties and playing dutch Auctions behind our backs.

It's the first home that i've found that my wife and i both REALLY like and can see ourselves living in. It's everything i'm after. They want between 700 and 750,000. I put in a stronger verbal offer than the highest offer at the time, which was 720,000, so i offered 730,000... no calls back, nothing... no negotiation etc. We are pretty keen to get this property, very keen, but it's quite disheartening that it's proving so difficult to cut a deal with them. I went through the property again, have put in final offer of 750,000 on paper and that's it... now the agent was supposed to call tonight, he didn't. So they wanted 750,000 and i was happy to give it to them. I'st time to take me seriously, coz i'll be walking very soon.

It's still a mission finding decent property in the area though, even when i was willing to spend more, there is nothing.

Anyway, i just needed to vent - sorry about digging out such an old thread.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:25 AM   #8
Oz Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
well finally found a home - i want to buy it, they want to sell it, yet they can't damn make up their mind and the agent isn't at all interested in making too much effort in selling it to me. Either he thinks i'm full of it coz he thinks the price is out of my range, or he has many interested parties and playing dutch Auctions behind our backs.

It's the first home that i've found that my wife and i both REALLY like and can see ourselves living in. It's everything i'm after. They want between 700 and 750,000. I put in a stronger verbal offer than the highest offer at the time, which was 720,000, so i offered 730,000... no calls back, nothing... no negotiation etc. We are pretty keen to get this property, very keen, but it's quite disheartening that it's proving so difficult to cut a deal with them. I went through the property again, have put in final offer of 750,000 on paper and that's it... now the agent was supposed to call tonight, he didn't. So they wanted 750,000 and i was happy to give it to them. I'st time to take me seriously, coz i'll be walking very soon.

It's still a mission finding decent property in the area though, even when i was willing to spend more, there is nothing.

Anyway, i just needed to vent - sorry about digging out such an old thread.
Not to hijack but you need to contact the principal of the agency. All offers submitted in writing MUST be submitted to the Vendor for consideration and it sounds like yours hasn't. If they want $700-$750K and your offer is $750K then IT'S SOLD!! Isn't it?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 01:37 AM   #9
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where abouts is the catch?
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 11:44 PM   #10
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i got the call Saturday morning that they were offered a higher bid than what i had put in and that they had sold the property. The agent said above 760K. I can't be disappointed, as perfect as the house seemed to be for us, that amount of money was definitely placinga full value on it.

I am seriously thinking about building now, i don't know if i can continue searching the house market until i find something i like again. Have already got my eyes on a great block, it's not for sale, but anything is for sale at the right price.

Have come across www.domainprestigehomes.com.au will be calling them for info.

Thanks all that have contributed to the thread.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:46 PM   #11
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Have a look around the hawthorn area also mate

You can pick up some decent properties that need some imporvement between 700 and 800k
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #12
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Have a look around the hawthorn area also mate

You can pick up some decent properties that need some imporvement between 700 and 800k
Thanks Gary.

Not really wanting to go down the track of improving, would much rather pay a little more and have a relatively new home where we can just walk right in without needing to do anything. Not really wanting anything more than 10yrs old.

Hawthorn and the other mentioned suburbs are great suburbs, but it looks like the newer pockets of Templestowe is what i will end up moving to.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:03 AM   #13
rodderz

What about Eltham Jem?

5km from Templestowe, and some very big homes with that price range and with scenic views are pretty plentiful. Eltham North seems to be the more pricey, or towards Research too
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 01:06 AM   #14
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

JEM, I to am looking around at options at the moment and probably will end up building myself (similar reasons to yourself - just not happy with what's available).

Might I suggest checking out www.metricon.com.au for house designs? I haven't looked at to many different builders yet, but have found metricon look to have some really nice modern designs.

Anyhow, just figure it's one more avenue you might want to look at

l8r
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 01:25 AM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ahuh, i just been through this bull... Bought a place that was 3 years old, got the building inspection done and it needed 20k to get it up to scratch - ty tiled roof was the biggest issue along with drummy tiles, ty render job amoung other things. After getting over the hurdle of canning the contract as I wasn't happy with the buliding/pest report last week today I ended up buying a unit instead...

As for the building your own path, my parents did that last year and they swear they will never do it again, waaaaaaaaaay too much trouble. For the right money if you can find something that needs a few improvements id go that way, alot easier then building from dirt up, just make sure you get some decent building / pest inspections done, the guy i used up here in QLD was great, truely worth the $700 they charged.

As for your offer on that place for $730,000 if you have any more that your looking at and they are open to offer put it on a contract mate, subject to any clauses you require like finance/buliding/pest/inspections, this verbal crap isn't worth it because you have nothing unless its on paper and nor does the vendor. Sounds like a dodgy real estate mob.

I thought QLD prices were high, we must not only be the smart state but the lucky one to!

Good luck! _2:
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 01:40 AM   #16
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Ahuh, i just been through this bull... Bought a place that was 3 years old, got the building inspection done and it needed 20k to get it up to scratch - ty tiled roof was the biggest issue along with drummy tiles, ty render job amoung other things. After getting over the hurdle of canning the contract as I wasn't happy with the buliding/pest report last week today I ended up buying a unit instead...

As for the building your own path, my parents did that last year and they swear they will never do it again, waaaaaaaaaay too much trouble. For the right money if you can find something that needs a few improvements id go that way, alot easier then building from dirt up, just make sure you get some decent building / pest inspections done, the guy i used up here in QLD was great, truely worth the $700 they charged.

As for your offer on that place for $730,000 if you have any more that your looking at and they are open to offer put it on a contract mate, subject to any clauses you require like finance/buliding/pest/inspections, this verbal crap isn't worth it because you have nothing unless its on paper and nor does the vendor. Sounds like a dodgy real estate mob.

I thought QLD prices were high, we must not only be the smart state but the lucky one to!

Good luck! _2:

Thanks mate.

Not only that, you should see the advantage you guys have got when it comes to stamp duty. We trully get it handed to us here in Victoria.

Yeah, i hear many times that building is too troublesome etc, but with every bad story, there are also the good. I'll just see where it takes me.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:51 AM   #17
rodderz

With building you will have to make sure you get a decent builder with decent subbies, more so if the builder is a big company.

I've dealt with builders a fair bit in my line of work (and my old foreman is still one) and have found that big companies build it for cheaper, as they have deals with timber, brick, window etc suppliers and then have a core group of subbies that work on a contract for them.

On the other hand, smaller builders will charge more as most projects are more of a one off type deal (depending on the design) and such projects are not mass-produced as per a large company design, but the quality of the work will be superior. Can take longer, too.

I've talked to a guy out west who works for one of the bigger companies who's job is to assess the quoted materials vs materials used, then use less for the next house if there was leftovers. Or, some parts of the house (ie. window frames, noggins etc) are downsized to the minimum spacing or timber specifications to save money

Depends really on what you're prepared to spend
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post