Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-08-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Default Some more progress has been made!!!

Well i finally got around to fitting my new EF diff today (3.7 lsd). The old diff was ripped out about a week or so ago but i hadto wait for some more income so i could get some new trailing arm bushes for her (old ones were very rooted). I still need to work out the brakes tho (as i've yet again run out of funds and need to buy calipers). The plan is to pick up a set of slotted rotors while i'm at it, then comes working out the handbrake! (yay).

Anyways, two things that must be rememberd if for some silly reason anyone wants to do this, one is that you will need to fitt EF/EL bushes to the lower trailing arm (diff side) as the mounts are about an inch wider than EA's (also note you will need to then get EF/EL bolts!!!), and secondly, you will need to use EF/EL sway bar brackets as the EA ones wont bolt up to the EF/EL diff. Other than that, so far it's been a painless process.

I also got my SVO spoiler deliverd to me by gunns, so it's slowly taking shape! Next on the list is to work out the brakes as metioned before, and will also make a start on my new boot install!!

PS. Do not trust scissor jacks with your life, luckily i had another 2 jacks and two axle stands under my car when my third jack dedided to give way.

Here's a few pics
My new diff installed (so easy to take a pic of the diff when there's no fuel tank, also makes jacking the car up a whole lot easier aswell ;))...

Spoiler dummied in place...

My ever reliable jack...

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."

Last edited by Rmyers; 08-08-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:09 PM   #2
EFFalcon
Last warning

Lookin' GOod steve ;)
that diff's been sitting there for months :P
atleast it can role now!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
BlOWN-EA

anyone tried doing any nine inch diff conversions on a e-series falcon before? how much can u pick a nine incha up for these days.
BlOWN-EA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
Damo
Banned

nice work Steve, it's coming along nicely. Atleast you won't trip over that diff anymore.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
InitialD
Low and Loud

Looks better on the car steve then on your garage :P

Good to see the cars getting there

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

good stuff steve...

update this when you do the handbrake stuff
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:28 PM   #7
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice work steve! You'll love the 3.7s. When are you looking at respraying the beast?
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:30 PM   #8
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphell
nice work steve! You'll love the 3.7s. When are you looking at respraying the beast?
It'll be a while as i need my mates assistance (he's helping me with all the body work and he's overseas atm). Might do the engine bay tho so i can chuck everything back in, should keep me occupied for a while...

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Old 09-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #9
Simmo
White Lightning

yeh those damn scissor jacks. mine threaded itself and came down awfully quickly just as i was about to get under it.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #10
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
My ever reliable jack...
something im used to, i think weve been threw 5 :S KILL EM ALL!!!
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 12:27 AM   #11
LUXO_8
windsor user

i dont trust em.......there is a trolley jack in my boot for that reason......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 12:35 AM   #12
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
i dont trust em.......there is a trolley jack in my boot for that reason......

cause you like jacking stuff.......... off? : :

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #13
NZ
~~~

The other thing that is different on the ef/el diff's is the breather hose hole in the left hand axle tube is in a different spot. It would only be an issue if you were using your old brake setup. What would happen is you'd end up with not enough brake line on one side and too much on the other. No big deal but you would need to do a bit of bending to make everything fit. It is a bit dodgy though.

Did your diff have the 2 sets of uper trailing arm mount holes? The tickford setup had a lower mount which helped handling by altering the roll centre. Thats all I know about that as I don't even understand what the roll centre is

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #14
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Coming along very nicely Steven, keep us posted. You're not the only one who keeps going broke.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #15
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
Did your diff have the 2 sets of uper trailing arm mount holes? The tickford setup had a lower mount which helped handling by altering the roll centre. Thats all I know about that as I don't even understand what the roll centre is
No, there was only one place to mount em...

Old 09-08-2005, 07:35 PM   #16
NZ
~~~

The tickford holes were just 30mm lower and 1mm forward from memory. You can't use normal ea - ed upper arms only the tickford ones as they have a cut out to clear the diff tube. The normal ones would make contact with the tube. Any regular ef/el upper arms are fine for either of the mount points.

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post