Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Alcohol and Glass.

Got thinking today after replacing a tyre for a friend who ran over a glass bottle smashed in the middle of the road.

Why is it that Coke etc comes in plastic, yet alcohol comes in glass containers?

Too often do you see morons smashing bottles in the worst places cos they're ****ed, and far too often have i come close to losing a perfectly good tyre just cos some moron feels like it.

/end rant.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

bugger knows, but if you ask me coke tastes 100% better in a glass, so maybe thats why they keep grog in glasses, it would be kinda ghey having a plastic bottle for your jack daniels and coldies, keep the plastic for mud shakes or what ever crap uses them lol, but as for them c*nts who smash bottles everywhere i despise them

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something to do with taste i think however Bundy does come in plastic in the little bottles.
This is like when they went from 750ml bottles to 700ml bottles and put the price up.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They serve beer in plastic bottle at rugby games and speedwy events and I reckon it does taste a little worse from a plastic bottle.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 07:30 AM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

I can't tell the difference between the taste of coke from plastic and glass bottles...

I know I don't buy the glass bottles because they're only 330mL and they're the same price as a 600mL plastic one.. f*** that.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
Dodge
i like to be stroked

they should sell it in a bladder bag , just like cask wine, The best thing about a cask set up is u can use the box for a shoe or make a cap , then the bladder can be used as a pillow or a seat conforter, and if u reallt want to u can slap someone with the bag and it wont hurt them. what do u recon... burbon and coke with a free pillow and carboard cap...
Old 13-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #7
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Plastic, after a little while, leaches chemicals into your drinks. Hence why even the water companies say you shouldn't reuse their water bottles, and why the little kids' drinks (the ones in the plastic bottles with pop tops) say on the bottle itself not to reuse it. They even went to the extent of making it impossible to take off the pop tops so that you couldn't refill them.

So the companies know it, but they don't tell average Joe WHY we can't reuse them.

Also there is news starting to surface about the amount of fire retardants and other plastic related chemicals we have in our bodies. Kids toys, plastic bottles and containers for food and drink storage, glad wrap... think about all the plastics we have used in our lifetimes.

One person I know refuses to buy or eat anything that's in plastic.

I have an article on it somewhere if anyone's interested (yes, Red_EL, in one of my hippie mags!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
they should sell it in a bladder bag , just like cask wine, The best thing about a cask set up is u can use the box for a shoe or make a cap , then the bladder can be used as a pillow or a seat conforter, and if u reallt want to u can slap someone with the bag and it wont hurt them. what do u recon... burbon and coke with a free pillow and carboard cap...
Brilliant! Dodge for PM.

Hrmmm... just thinking from an SA perspective... they finish brewing coopers in the bottle, i'd say that'd be kinda shyte in plastic...

I meeeeAn HeEEy, i'vE alllLLllwayyYz uSEddd pwASticS aNd i TttTTturNeD oUt juuuUUsssTt fINe.... :
Old 13-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Plastic, after a little while, leaches chemicals into your drinks. Hence why even the water companies say you shouldn't reuse their water bottles, and why the little kids' drinks (the ones in the plastic bottles with pop tops) say on the bottle itself not to reuse it.
Nonsense!!

The plastics are some of the more stable materials on the planet. Why do you think their disposal re-cycling is of such concern.

Re-use is discouraged because bottles are unlikey to be thoroughly washed at all times and particularly with people drinking directly from the bottles there is a hightened risk for harbouring bacteria. E-coli etc..
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #10
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hahahaha @ Dodge. If *everything* that comes is a cask didn't taste like complete e... I'd say HELL YEAH!
Old 13-07-2005, 11:23 AM   #11
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Plastic, after a little while, leaches chemicals into your drinks. Hence why even the water companies say you shouldn't reuse their water bottles, and why the little kids' drinks (the ones in the plastic bottles with pop tops) say on the bottle itself not to reuse it. They even went to the extent of making it impossible to take off the pop tops so that you couldn't refill them.

So the companies know it, but they don't tell average Joe WHY we can't reuse them.

Also there is news starting to surface about the amount of fire retardants and other plastic related chemicals we have in our bodies. Kids toys, plastic bottles and containers for food and drink storage, glad wrap... think about all the plastics we have used in our lifetimes.

I have an article on it somewhere if anyone's interested (yes, Red_EL, in one of my hippie mags!).
Sorry but thats bunk. Pure 100% organically grown bunk.
PVC bottles do not leach compounds into what they carry, they are as inert as a Politician on a Sunday afternoon. One of their only drawbacks is they let free oxygen pass through them, while they can keep C02 in, I know this because I'm a brewer. Long term storage of fluids in PVC bottles is not a good idea if the fluid can be affected or contaminated by free oxygen(IE anything with yeast or with no preservatives present).

Also as red has said, the reason they dont want us re-using their poptops is twofold. One is lawsuits from baceteria building up in the poptop mechanism(which is stupid but it is their reasoning), the other is because they want you to buy more of their poptops. Recycling, is BAD for PROFIT. Companies dont give a crap about you health, only cost.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 12:08 PM   #12
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Dont know the reason or anything, but I can easily tell the difference of Coke or Red Bull in a can, compared to the ones in the glass bottle...glass bottle always tastes better, no idea why!
Old 13-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #13
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Sorry but thats bunk. Pure 100% organically grown bunk.
How come I had this funny little sense that you guys would disagree with me?

Soon you two lovebirds will be riding on the back of an AU ute with the obligatory bullbar, spotties and toting shotties around Nimbin, just awaiting the ferals for a bit of fun. :voldar02:

You know I'm kidding, although I may disagree it doesn't mean it's a bad thing, it means we're human. I still love ya!

Quote:
Old 13-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #14
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I can't see bourbon & coke doing well in a (wine cask) bladder! Unless you want it to expand from wine cask size to beach ball size (assuming teh bladder is elastic) as soon as it is shaken...

And wine cask bladders SUCK as pillows!

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #15
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Sensible folks unwrap their food first. : and dont believe all they read, or hear on talkback radio.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 04:40 PM   #16
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
Dont know the reason or anything, but I can easily tell the difference of Coke or Red Bull in a can, compared to the ones in the glass bottle...glass bottle always tastes better, no idea why!

Bah you're insane! V and Red Bull and Coke taste assloads better from a can! This calls for a poll.... ah stuff it.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #17
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Coke tastes way better from a can I reckon, beer tastes worse. I won't drink tinnies unless I'm half ****ed and it's free.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
They even went to the extent of making it impossible to take off the pop tops so that you couldn't refill them.
Then I'd love to know how whoever threw the pop top in my yard managed to pee in it. :
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #19
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Then I'd love to know how whoever threw the pop top in my yard managed to pee in it. :
That would have to be one SERIOUSLY small penis, and that would probably be the extent of his sex life. e

Quote:
Old 14-07-2005, 07:57 AM   #20
Dodge
i like to be stroked

dont go there, last week i drank a apple juice that had me thinking ???????????? berry must have had a bad day at the plant.
Old 14-07-2005, 08:16 AM   #21
bindi

Quote:
dont go there, last week i drank a apple juice that had me thinking ???????????? berry must have had a bad day at the plant.
EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Too much info there mate :

Quote: