Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #1
tickford302
T1 TE50 Galaxy Blue #010.

Location: In between German Engineering and Tickford Perfection.
Default Water Saving My ***

Just finished detailing my car thought this time i would do it myself instead of paying someone to do it and ended up using 11 watering cans to wet down and rinse off that equates to 110 litres of the precious H2O, can some one tell me how that is saving water or is it the powers that be thinking we will put it in the too hard basket and just not wash our cars.
tickford302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use a Karcher high pressure water gun - uses 5.5 litres/minute and it takes me 2 minutes to rinse it. My car washing area is probably 5 metres from the drain, and it has to run along a couple of concrete gaps between squares, and I haven't seen any water get to the drain yet
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Useing the local car wash is probably better and more H2O efficient as 60%+ is usualy recycled. We had restrictions for a while and it really amazed me how many people didn't read restrictions properly and I was in a number of conversations where there was a misunderstanding as to how and whith what you could use. Ours said generally bucket wash and no hose but reading on it meant no hose if you didn"t have a trigger nozzle on as some just let it run on the ground. Although it wasn't a rule we were asked to wash on the lawn if possible as this recycled the water imediatly.
Old 19-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Are you in Sydney?

We have been doing this for some time now, using a watering can to wash the cars. It is time consuming and laborious... and in reality it does not save any water at all by using watering cans, in fact you use much more.

The reason it is there then? Well, because it is so time consuming and laborious, you don't do it nearly as often as you usually would. I find it takes half a Saturday to clean one car (we've got two) so I let them get seriously dirty before I even think about it, then I leave it for an extra month before saying "Oh ok, enough!!!" lol

Hence you save water

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
tickford302
T1 TE50 Galaxy Blue #010.

Location: In between German Engineering and Tickford Perfection.

Yes i am in Sydney out at PenRIFF, would love to use the high pressure hose but can't, go figure saves heaps of water,with having the rear wing i cant use a car wash so i have to pay $20-$25 for a hand wash,looks like i'll have to keep spending the money or wasting the time, decisions decisions............
tickford302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford302
Yes i am in Sydney out at PenRIFF
My condolences

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post