Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-06-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

Default Best manual box for behind the Au I6 ?

hey guys,

just as the thread stipulates, what would be the best, most cost effective box to put behind an "eventually" modded I6 ? at its got a slushbox, which i hate! i have seen two mechanics, both saying a t5 from an XF would be your best best, being both cost effective/decent box...

anyone with better ideas ? or anyone who has done it and wants to let me in on any tips to changing the boxes over ? we will be carrying out most of the work ourselves....hopefully!!
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 11:33 PM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Big job, it wont be cheap, T5 is very popular.
Pedal box, clutch plate, pressure plate, fly wheel, gear box, shifter, cable.
putting in the pedal box will be the biggest job, you have to remove your dash.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 01:35 AM   #3
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XF t5's are weak. Best bet is to find a manual xr6 that is being wrecked and get all the parts at once. As well as the above list of parts - get the ECU as well. I would get a new clutch and pressure plate as well - no use putting old stuff in that youll have to rip out and change. I guess all the parts for the conversion for an AU would probably be around $1500-2000.

BTW: I seem to remembet that you cant use AU boxes in earlier models, so the reverse may apply as well.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
borry

how good are the XR6 boxes though ?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

XF boxes are about as weak as EA boxes...which I have broken too many of. You can only use the AU box in an AU anyway because of a slightly different shifter location than the earlier models so an XF one wouldn't fit, also don't trust those mechanics as they should have known this. The XR gear boxes have different ratios and in my opinion are better than the stocko ones.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Supra 5 (or 6speed if you have the cash).
T56 maybe.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 03:11 AM   #7
borry

a supra five was what i was hoping. ok from what i know... please comment if im wrong...

- any box i put in, fitting the pedal box will pose dramas, ie pulling the dash out, my mate said it can be done without pulling it out, its a C*&T but it can be done, he said its more then likely easier to do it without pulling it out, as much as it may tear skin etc etc, that way the dash stays, everythign interior wise is sweet. no dramas.

spparently an XF bellhousing etc etc is the same ? however from all reports, an XF box wont take my intended 260-300 rwhp unless its babied through gear changes, whilst this would more then likely take 90 percent of my driving, the 10 percent dragging/spirited driving through the coast windy roads may cause dramas.

a T56 woul dbe too expensive, case closed, im nto paying 7000 for a box change! whether i do the wok or not!!

if i could do a T56 for 3000, or even a turbo supra box ( which i was quietly hoping someone would suggest, as from all reports, and from my realistic final goal of around 300 RWHP, this sort of box would handle without any dramas ) for around 3000, i would do it! however this isnt the case...

which puts me back to my original question, finding an AU XR6 driveline, isnt too hard ( i certainly have all the contacts ) but is this the right choice ? im in no way in any hurry, so over the next 2 months or so, i can decide what i would like to use.

all in all, i plan to have a 300 rwhp,manual ute. in reality, i nkow its nto going to be easy to acheive a user friendly version of what i want in an AU, however, having plans for the exterior ( only which can be completed in an AU ) and a great great fondness of the interior room ( beign a Big guy ) i dont want an XR6 turbo that i can get to do all this with ease.... if u get my point.

im sorry about the long post i was just trying ti explain all aspcts, so all the experts can help me point myself in some form of right direction.

any advise from what i have explained would be tops!! really. i have alot more research to do before diving in, but all information will be highly regarded.

cheers chris
Old 11-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #8
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IT's Performance can supply you with all the parts needed for a Manual Conversion for an AU for $3500. This is a T5. Includes everything pedal box, cables, ecu blah blah blah. Most parts are new. They can also fit for $400, which when you think about it, aint that much, and they know what they are doing, so they've probably taken the dash apart a number of times on Fords.

If you are really serious and can see yourself getting a load of power, don't bother getting the clutch and flywheel from them, and order one of Mal Wood's clutches to handle the extra power.

A T56 out of a TE50, went at a wreckers in melbourne for $3500 not too long ago... Looks like you missed out on a deal mate.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:10 PM   #9
borry

where are IT performance based ? that sounds alright, 3900 though... *thinks* thats half a turbo...might be worth just keeping the slush box for that much, if it was under 2g i would do it. i mean, we can do the work, just yeh i dunno now...
Old 12-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

3500 ?... thats a CRAZY prise... An au is easy to change the pedal box in. The box its self has only to bolts on top of it and these face down, I removed a pedal box and welded it up in an au xr6 on friday... i pulled the dash back, there are bugger all bolts to do this....
For 3500 is that a full reco T5 with new clutch and every thing? including computer?...
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 12:51 PM   #11
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IT's Performance is based in NSW...

Their manual conversions actually start from $1250. It includes everything:
Quote:
computer
harness
box
flywheel
secondhand clutch and pressure plate
clutch cable
gear stic / boot
pedal box
nuts and bolts
An actually AU Manual conversion costs $2000. But if you want new parts, your looking at $3500.

Quote:
They are all second hand parts and the Tremac are in the late au's and supplied when available. All parts are road tested befor sale to assure quality. The au man conversion's are $2000.
New kits are avaliable from $2500.00 for eb/el and au from $3500
They also have performance packages, much like JMM, and with these you can hit up and over 180rwkw N/A.

Quote:
Any one who has any quiries can contact me on 0415 727 951 or (02) 46214178
Old 12-06-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

wouldn't you then need to tow the car to Ford (or someone with a carman scan) to have the BEM coded to the new ECU?...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 01:02 PM   #13
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
wouldn't you then need to tow the car to Ford (or someone with a carman scan) to have the BEM coded to the new ECU?...
Yes for an AU at least, you need the BEM updated (99% sure).
Old 12-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #14
borry

hey LG im assuming these guys have a website ? what is it ?

and another question, with a good clutch, how good are the tremec boxes then ?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:00 PM   #15
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No unfortunately, IT's Performance doesn't have a website. He is a little bit active on fordmods.com however (http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=104)

He has an email @ itsperformance@aapt.net.au

I don't have a manual, i've just gone by what i read. Pyroay, is using a T5 (Upgraded by Mal Woods - 'z' spec), and a clutch to support 330rwkw. At the moment he can run 400rwkw. He is actually looking at selling his clutch/gearbox. There is also an E-Series guy, with over 400ish rwkw using a T5, but recently it gave way on him i think.

Mal Wood Automotive's site is here by the way: http://www.tremec.com.au/
They are located in QLD, talk to them. Tell them your plans, and what they can do to a T5 to hold the power.

I'd say just get a T5, with as many new parts as you can afford. And then looking at getting a strong clutch. And it should be able to support 200-300rwkw. If you treat it nice. That's just my opinion. Ring up some places, and do some research.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #16
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

For that sort of money selling and buying a manual has got to be an attractive proposition.

Conversions are never the same.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 04:38 PM   #17
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not too bad... A manual conversion, $2000ish. You can sell your Automatic Transmission for around $500ish, as the AU ones should have fairly low kms. Then sell your computer, for whatever money.

Then from a Manual, you can pick up between 10-20rwkw. That + the fun, should be worth about the $1500. Anyway, that is just one shop that's doing it. If you buy a wrecked car, or pick up a T5 from another car, you might find one cheaper.

Last edited by LG; 12-06-2005 at 04:47 PM.
LG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #18
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like that guy that brought that Tremec is selling it.

T3650: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....556112024&rd=1

To suit a 5Ltr, but could suit a 6, with a T5 bell housing, i think... Not sure.
Old 17-06-2005, 01:25 PM   #19
ELAUBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

T5s from pre-AU models are definitely different - the extension housing in an AU is about 50mm longer, moving the shifter back that same distance.
ELAUBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #20
justa6
justa6

Depending on what power you want, your always gunna want more in the end. An au xr8 box is basically the same as a mal wood z spec'ed xr6 box. Though mal wood said he would'nt like to see any more then say 220 230 rwkw going through it but they have z spec'ed one with 309rwkw. It cost me $2000 to z spec my box and it's still going to be the weak link.
If i had an auto in my car i would spend the money on it, tighten it up, put a stall in it and whatever else they do with them. I think a good auto is going to be quicker then a manual anyway.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 09:40 AM   #21
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Its a long shot but does anyone see in possibilty of adapting an RB25 Skyline gearbox to a Falcon 6?

Getrag Supras and Tremecs are too expensive, same goes for T56s.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #22
Brenden
"THE" Workshop manager.

If its actually going into an AU then an AU Gearbox it has to Be.....

AME Albury carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Adelaide carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Shepparton carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower 6 turbo 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower N/A 6 2005
All Ford nationals DYO 10.5 and over champion 2005
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 05:37 PM   #23
borry

ok i pose another question then, can you adapt a B&M shifter to a standard auto box ?
Old 28-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #24
borry

ie the pro ratchet shifter, where you can just whack it up and down gears...????
Old 28-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #25
*rayman*
454 Power

i was the guy that bought the t5 tremec box on the forums a while back... it's from an au xr8, comes with clutch flywheel bellhousing and tailshaft. Find yourself a bellhousing for the six and it should work.

I'm very reluctant to sell it, but the mustang i bought it to put in wasn't what i wanted. I'm looking at cars a little further up the price scale, so i need the extra money to bridge the gap.

Let me know if you're interested.

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #26
Brenden
"THE" Workshop manager.

Unfortunately the V8 Boxes have a longer input shaft and WONT fit onto a six cylinder!!!

AME Albury carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Adelaide carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Shepparton carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower 6 turbo 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower N/A 6 2005
All Ford nationals DYO 10.5 and over champion 2005
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 12:32 AM   #27
Pyroay
SQ Champion

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

In my expierience, Mal Woods T5 "Z" spec would be the ideal upgrade.
They exchange your old box and the changeover is around $2,300. They rate it for 300rwkw day in day out and mine stood up very well with 330rwkw.

A standard T5 will only be good on a long term basis for around 180 - 200rwkw.

Australian National Sound Quality Champion - 2004
Victorian Sound Quality Champion - 2004
Australian National Sound Quality Champion - 2006
Australian Sound Quality National Finals - Best of Show 06
Winner Summernats 2007 - Super Tech
Winner "Ford Champion" Melb Autosalon 2004
Winner "Ford Champion" Melb Autosalon 2006
Pyroay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #28
EvilChief
Boost Addict

i spend 2g on the conversion kit ... :

Last edited by EvilChief; 14-08-2005 at 11:01 PM.
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #29
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief
i got an I6 gearbox i dont need no longer, had it in my car for only less than 10000km ... oh and yes i spend 2g on the conversion kit ...
Hi Chief, Put it in the For Sale forums.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 11:00 PM   #30
EvilChief
Boost Addict

haha good point
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post