Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default i30 diesel starting issue ...

2007 i30 diesel ... 211,000 ks ... today it started almost instantly (not quite as quickly as it probably should) but ran roughly for a few seconds before settling down ... excess smoke out the exhaust until it did settle ... elsewhere on the net someone said these are symptoms of stuffed glow plugs. (Subsequent starts on the same day are fine.) This problem has been there for a while now, sometimes not so bad. Battery is strong.

Diesel experts: what do you think? Is it worth just getting a Hyundai service centre to replace the glow plugs? Or should I get them to diagnose the problem first and possibly incur unnecessary expense/wrong diagnosis?

I would almost have a go at just doing it myself; access to the glow plug on one end isn't great and I might need to buy a long socket to fit the glow plugs.

I saw a horror story of a dealer (O/S, I think) breaking one of the glow plugs and the head needing to come off. I don't need that problem.

(If this is the wrong place for this thread please fix for me, moderator/s; thanks)
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: i30 diesel starting issue ...

Scan for codes to start with
Glow plugs is a good possibility so is fuel filter etc.etc.
Blow grit out from around glow plugs and soak with wd40 as not only do glow plugs break they can also strip threads out due to carbon build up - go slow on them and keep winding them in and out may help
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks. The fuel filter was last changed in June 2017 at 166,000 ks.

Elsewhere on the net someone suggested penetrating fluid around the threads first, removal of the glow plugs when engine is warm and replacement when it's cold. (I would clean as best as I can around the plugs first, like you suggest.)
Old 12-11-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I have a 2013 i30 diesel. Same engine just with a slightly higher tune.

Do a bit of investigating / trouble shooting before you start to swap things over.

As a reference, mine is at 246,000 km and has the original glow plugs.

Sure, it does blow a little smoke when it starts but it starts smoothly and for the last 3 years it has been driven very hard (like courier work) and gets fed only the cheapest no name truck diesel.

It had its factory diesel filter replaced at 230,000km - what a bloody pain of a job.

The thing just won't bloody die...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2020, 09:30 PM   #5
Freiherr

I have a 2008 i30 diesel with 270,000 km. Had a problem at around 80,000 km where one morning the car refused to start. Towed to the dealer and the problem was 3 bad glow plugs. They were replaced under warranty and no problems since then.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Freiherr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replies.

11ford11 suggested to 'scan for codes'. I am very ignorant about electronic diagnosis, by that I mean plugging the car into something and coming up with accurate answers to a problem. What chance is there that a Hyundai service centre can plug my car in and get the correct answer to its starting problem?
Old 14-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #7
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Suggest trying your local auto electrician or mechanic who should be able to scan for codes and check for control relay/module and wiring faults plus check glow plugs themselves

Or Check for power at the glow plugs with a test light when you first turn ignition on with a cold engine
if you have power ,each glow plug needs testing or replacing keeping in mind you may have other issues causing your problem
Old 14-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #8
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
2007 i30 diesel ... 211,000 ks ... today it started almost instantly (not quite as quickly as it probably should) but ran roughly for a few seconds before settling down ... excess smoke out the exhaust until it did settle ... elsewhere on the net someone said these are symptoms of stuffed glow plugs. (Subsequent starts on the same day are fine.) This problem has been there for a while now, sometimes not so bad. Battery is strong.

Diesel experts: what do you think? Is it worth just getting a Hyundai service centre to replace the glow plugs? Or should I get them to diagnose the problem first and possibly incur unnecessary expense/wrong diagnosis?

I would almost have a go at just doing it myself; access to the glow plug on one end isn't great and I might need to buy a long socket to fit the glow plugs.

I saw a horror story of a dealer (O/S, I think) breaking one of the glow plugs and the head needing to come off. I don't need that problem.

(If this is the wrong place for this thread please fix for me, moderator/s; thanks)
Almost certainly 1 or maybe 2 glow plugs not working.The engine will start on 3 cyls and run rough until there is enough heat to run the 4 th cyl.Had exactly same symptoms.Engine would start and run on 3 for maybe 20-30 seconds,then pick up on the 4 th.Had 2 glow plugs that tested faulty,4 new plugs ( not much money) and good for another 2 hundred thousand kms
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Are these indirect injection diesels as I would have though they would be direct injection with a single heat coil system to start.
With the current temps around I wouldn't have thought it would need the glow plugs ATM anyway.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They're direct injection engines, glow plug per cylinder.

I haven't seen a car diesel engine with an intake grid heater, except a 6BT RAM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They're direct injection engines, glow plug per cylinder.

I haven't seen a car diesel engine with an intake grid heater, except a 6BT RAM.
Was curious, Mazda / Ford trader are intake pre heated direct injection. Direct injection doesn't usually require the pre heat this time of year.

Old 15-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #12
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for all the replies. It seems like a good idea to replace the glow plugs.

This week I will find out how much Hyundai want to replace them. If it's a reasonable price - and if I think I can be confident that they won't break any of them in the removal process - I will get them to do it. I will see if I can talk to the head mechanic.

Or I might buy the new glow plugs and do it myself - very carefully. I will let you know what happens.
Old 15-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A lot of the diesel stuff-breaking-off horror stories seem to be from the UK. I think the damp air encourages oxidisation/corrosion that really creeps.

That said, it looks like the D4FB glow plugs are something best done by a person comfortable on the tools. Angled towards the transmission, under some trunking. A bit of unbuilding would be the safe approach.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 15-11-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. It seems like a good idea to replace the glow plugs.

This week I will find out how much Hyundai want to replace them. If it's a reasonable price - and if I think I can be confident that they won't break any of them in the removal process - I will get them to do it. I will see if I can talk to the head mechanic.

Or I might buy the new glow plugs and do it myself - very carefully. I will let you know what happens.
I looked up glow plugs for my own car after this thread. I had no idea how they worked but there is a very strong chance some of mine are rooted as well.

Supercheap has Austral brand at $36 each and the Bosch at $41 each.

Autobarn has NGK plugs for $38.

If you don't mind, let me know what Hyundai asks to change them over.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There were a couple of Korean blokes (independent of each other) selling genuine stuff ex-Korea on Fleabay. Have used them for Kia parts. Some of the prices were competitive, and the quality would be known good.

Edit: Can’t find them but listing 222457733773 has (I believe) the right ones. Never dealt with Wills (Kudla) - the reviews blow hot and cold!

Last edited by Citroënbender; 15-11-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 15-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Supercheap has Austral brand at $36 each and the Bosch at $41 each.

Autobarn has NGK plugs for $38.
Last time I bought glow plugs was 15 years ago for a Daihatsu truck.
Seems they haven't increased in price much back then Bosch ones were $40 a pot.

Old 15-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #17
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone on another forum (he's probably in Europe) who seemed to know what he was talking about said that the glow plugs for my i30 are NGK Y527J. I can just about read that on the plugs under the bonnet.

Will let you know what Hyundai quote. The recent coolant change, brake fluid change, new wiper blades (and filling the windscreen washer bottle) cost $329.00, which I thought was OK. They have to make some sort of profit on top of paying the many staff, renting/owning the premises etc.
Old 15-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #18
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Someone on another forum (he's probably in Europe) who seemed to know what he was talking about said that the glow plugs for my i30 are NGK Y527J. I can just about read that on the plugs under the bonnet.

Will let you know what Hyundai quote. The recent coolant change, brake fluid change, new wiper blades (and filling the windscreen washer bottle) cost $329.00, which I thought was OK. They have to make some sort of profit on top of paying the many staff, renting/owning the premises etc.
I have found that generally dealer servicing costs are between 50 and 100% more than most independents,so will be interesting.I would estimate an independent would charge you around $250-300 to supply and fit based on a cost of around $40 ea for the glow plugs
Old 15-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

If you can buy them in Hyundai factory packaging for $92 all-in, based on how the motors look for in-car access it should be <2 hours labour.
Old 16-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #20
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$845.50 is the price quoted to supply and replace the four glow plugs. (Is that all, you say?) This is from a Hyundai service centre. I went there this morning and they phoned back at 5pm.

I think I might be doing it myself. Burson's quoted $50.95 for each glow plug.

I reckon it would not take the service centre more than an hour to do the job; certainly less than two hours.

I will have to psych myself up to do it in the next week or so. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 16-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #21
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

(Will check the Autobarn price per NGK glow plug here in Melb.)
Old 16-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Why pay $200 for the glows?

I offered a link to genuine for $92/set, even NGK through online suppliers are barely $35 each.
Old 16-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #23
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And dealers wonder why most of us DON’T get our servicing and repairs done by them.$750 for less than 2 hours work!
Old 16-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #24
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And dealers wonder why most of us DON’T get our servicing and repairs done by them.

Last edited by Tassie f100; 16-11-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 21-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #25
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ordered the NGKY527J glow plugs from Autobarn a few days ago and picked them up this morning. $38 each - thanks for mentioning Autobarn, Yellow Festiva. Citroenbender: I prefer to buy over-the-counter, rather than on-line.

The glow plugs need a 12mm, deep socket. I could have bought one socket for $12 at Bunnings but I lashed out and bought a set of 8 sockets from Supercheap for $31 (made in Taiwan). I'll probably never use the other 7 sockets.

Will let you know what happens when I get around to doing the job, but if I break a glow plug you might not hear from me ...
2 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #26
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I ordered the NGKY527J glow plugs from Autobarn a few days ago and picked them up this morning. $38 each - thanks for mentioning Autobarn, Yellow Festiva. Citroenbender: I prefer to buy over-the-counter, rather than on-line.

The glow plugs need a 12mm, deep socket. I could have bought one socket for $12 at Bunnings but I lashed out and bought a set of 8 sockets from Supercheap for $31 (made in Taiwan). I'll probably never use the other 7 sockets.

Will let you know what happens when I get around to doing the job, but if I break a glow plug you might not hear from me ...
Were they 12 sided or 6 sided sockets, 6 sided will give a better grip on the glow plug.
Start spraying base of glow plugs now with wd40 or similar until you’re ready to remove them and blow out around them before you actually try to remove.
Old 22-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #27
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

11ford11: thanks. The deep sockets happen to be six-sided so it's good to know that they will give better grip. I will definitely be putting some lubricant on the glow plug threads. I have a mixture of diesel and ATF that I might use for that. How does that sound for penetrating ability? I will leave the lubricant there for a day or two before I try to remove the first glow plug.

The first thing to remove is a wire connected to one of the end glow plugs, then there are four 10mm nuts holding one long metal bracket/connector onto the four plugs. I might remove the bracket today to make it easier to clean the glow plug thread/cylinder head area below and then apply some fluid.

There are a couple of electrical connections nearby that can be unclipped to improve access for the sockets and a hose on one end can be moved a little bit out of the way by undoing the bracket that holds it.
Old 22-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #28
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be interesting if you can keep a rough log of how much time it takes for you to do the job.
Old 22-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #29
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will be doing it in stages, taking my time and trying to be ultra careful; but I think a trained mechanic might be able to do it in an hour as long as there is no problem removing the old glow plugs. Maybe a mechanic would put some WD40 or similar around the threads and wait for that to take effect before removing the plugs but the customer shouldn't be charged for waiting time. I guess a mechanic might not take the time to clean the area first.

I have removed the nut holding the wire/cable, the four nuts holding the metal bracket and the metal bracket itself. Those four nuts were no more than finger tight. The bracket is aluminium.

I unclipped one electrical connection and undid one bolt to get a bit more clearance for the socket on the nut on the left end (passenger side). Clearance doesn't look like being the problem I thought it would be.

I will do some cleaning this afternoon.
Old 24-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #30
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It took me 40 minutes this morning to remove the four glow plugs. I started at 8:08 AM and got the 4th one out by 8:48 AM.

Yesterday I reconnected everything that I had removed on Saturday, because I wanted to drive the car this morning (which I did) to warm the engine up before I tried to remove the plugs.

From 8:08 AM: I removed one nut holding a wire connector, one electrical clip, one bolt, the four nuts holding the aluminium rail and the rail itself. Then I removed the plugs. Initially there was resistance but then I could hear and feel the first bit of 'give'. I had a steel pipe ready to use on the socket handle but that wasn't necessary.

One of the removed plugs shows some pitting and another shows a bit less pitting.

I will wait until the engine has cooled to fit the new plugs. On another forum someone suggested tightening them to 8 Nm. He seemed to know what he was talking about and had possibly done the job himself. The new NGK glow plug boxes say this: M10: 15~20N.m (Probably a stupid question but what's the "M10" referring to?)

And I guess I should not put any lube on the new glow plug threads?