Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #1
xr8cam

Default Stoned drivers

I am interested in what people think of the drug testing in relation to marijuana only. The bulk of people getting caught are over 50yo and only testing to marijuana, not illicit drugs. Do you think driving with marijuana in your system is dangerous? Do you think it is fair that it is a criminal conviction if found guilty?
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Stoned drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
I am interested in what people think of the drug testing in relation to marijuana only. The bulk of people getting caught are over 50yo and only testing to marijuana, not illicit drugs. Do you think driving with marijuana in your system is dangerous? Do you think it is fair that it is a criminal conviction if found guilty?
Yes and yes
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Doesn't the drug testing test for all drugs? Why should it matter what the drug is?
You get caught you pay the penalty- regardless of age or substance.
Mont5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Thought I'd get in early...

Old 21-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Depends on the level in their system. It would be like someone having. Beer compared to 10.

But the poice dont test for levels so if its in the persons system then they will be convicted....which can be 4 days after smoking.

If it was made legal then a level detection system would be required.

But if a person is stoned and driving then they deserve to get reamed.....same as a drink driver.
Old 21-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #6
superyob
Banned

Beer can be moderated. The whole point of hooch is to get off your face. Should not be on the road and should be charged with intent in the event an accident is caused...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
Yes is dangerous
Impairs reaction times, attention to the road

Don't forget, driving a almost 2 tonne machine at speed is dangerous anyway, let alone stoned or alike

If you have to have ya fix, do so but leave a good amount of time to recover.

THC I think lasts for round 4-6 hrs but leave longer

License is important right? So are peoples lives

Do things right

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2017, 11:34 PM   #8
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country but where I live methamphetamine appears to be the most common one being detected by police.

Almost every single driver that was detected under the influence of alcohol or drugs in this area this week was detected due to methamphetamine.

Source: https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-poli...t#.WINGf_LmiiM
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country but where I live methamphetamine appears to be the most common one being detected by police.

Almost every single driver that was detected under the influence of alcohol or drugs in this area this week was detected due to methamphetamine.

Source: https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-poli...t#.WINGf_LmiiM
Drug driving has taken over drink driving apparently. So not surprising.
Old 22-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #10
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

If I got stoned today , I am probably OK to drive to work on Monday morning. Rules and testing for Mull are stupid.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 12:15 AM   #11
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Drug driving has taken over drink driving apparently. So not surprising.
It certainly is a sad state of affairs but I still find it quite surprising just how many people they are catching driving on meth.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #12
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So many people making comment with no idea.

believe it or not, most pot smokers don't even get 'off their face' as they've used it so regularly, unless they come across some high quality stuff, which is rare, it is nothing more than a slight buzz which lasts no more than 15 minutes and no where near enough to inhibit driving.
In fact it becomes akin to a cigarette smoker and is more about the habit than the stone, so much so that they are often worse for concentration without it whilst trying to source it than once they get their buzz.
I know plenty who've given it up rather than deal with the stresses of hunting it down.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2017, 12:24 AM   #13
Vortex-98

Just another way to raise revenue....people are probably more careful driving when there stoned ..an i think 0.05 is too low for alcohol i think coz we all love a beer should be 0.08 like N.Z laws an if you blow0.08 you pass not fail like our laws atm...people who are 0.05 have prob had one drink an thats to low for a country that loves a beer its part of our culture an us just much fairer
Old 22-01-2017, 12:31 AM   #14
xr8cam

I think it gets tricky when you can drink & drive legally which makes light of driving impaired anyway you look at it. So, one person pulled over for random test has had 2 beers, blows .05 and is on his way. Another person, chooses not to drink & drive ever, gets detected the next day and ends up in court because it's illegal. They are both drugs, one is poison, one is naturally occurring. Who is the more responsible driver? The driver affected by fresh alcohol in his system or the sober driver with traces in his system?

Last edited by xr8cam; 22-01-2017 at 12:41 AM.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 12:45 AM   #15
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a flatmate who would drive on pot.
By drive I mean crawl along at walking pace with the driver door open, and one leg out, 'walking' the car along.

Admittedly, she's a bit of a minority. I've never seen pot affect anyone the way it got her. (Gibbering madly and screaming at everyone to get out because the cops are coming, refusing to go into her bedroom for weeks on end because the ghosts would kill her, etc).

But quite frankly, if you're on something, stay off the road.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2017, 01:02 AM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
By drive I mean crawl along at walking pace with the driver door open, and one leg out, 'walking' the car along.

Admittedly, she's a bit of a minority. I've never seen pot affect anyone the way it got her. (Gibbering madly and screaming at everyone to get out because the cops are coming, refusing to go into her bedroom for weeks on end because the ghosts would kill her, etc).

I'd say she had underlying mental health issues and shouldn't have been anywhere near any recreational drug to be honest.
Weed doesn't work that way, its not a hallucinogenic its a depressant if anything, you don't get high, you get low and relaxed.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2017, 02:43 AM   #17
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

It’s been years since I was stoned (marijuana) but I’d often drive afterwards and believe I was a cautious, attentive good driver but in reality I was probably a danger and today I would no more think of doing it than drink driving.

So if you are going to get stoned than make sure you don’t need to be behind the wheel for a day or so.

One of the reasons it took so long for Mobile Drug Testing to be introduced was because the testing had to be able to detect the difference between recent use and residual effect.

This is an abridged version taken from Transport for NSW Centre for Road Safety site.

Quote:
Mobile Drug Testing (MDT) detects drivers who have recently used three common illegal drugs: ecstasy, cannabis and speed (including ice).

If your MDT test is positive you’ll be taken to a roadside van or bus or back to a police station to provide a saliva sample. This sample is tested and if positive you’ll be banned from driving for 24 hours. All samples are sent to a laboratory for further analysis and if positive the police will contact you and charge you with driving with the presence of an illegal drug.

If you are stopped because your behaviour or driving is erratic and police suspect you are under the influence of illegal or prescription drugs they can require you to undergo blood and urine testing. These tests cover a large range of legal and illegal substances that can impair drivers and can lead to a charge of driving under the influence (DUI), which has serious penalties.

All drivers involved in fatal crashes undergo blood and urine testing for drugs and alcohol.

Illegal drugs can be detected in your saliva by an MDT for a significant time after drug use, even if you feel you are OK to drive. The length of time that illegal drugs can be detected by MDT depends on the amount taken, frequency of use of the drug and other factors that vary between individuals. Cannabis can typically be detected in saliva by an MDT test stick for up to 12 hours after use. Stimulants (speed, ice and pills) can typically be detected for one to two days.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....ing/index.html

This I lifted from the Alcohol and Drug Foundation for Victorian drivers and again is abridged.

Quote:
Saliva Tests

Random roadside drug testing, in Victoria and most other states and territories, uses saliva samples to detect illicit drugs.

A sample of the driver's saliva is taken by specially-trained police officers, using an absorbent collector placed in the mouth or touching the tongue. This test takes about three to five minutes. If the test is positive, it must be confirmed by laboratory testing before charges can be laid.

In Victoria, roadside saliva tests detect drugs that contain:

THC (Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol), the active component in cannabis

Methamphetamine, which is found in drugs such as "speed", "base", "ice", and "crystal meth"

MDMA (Methylenedioxymethamphetamine), which is known as ecstasy.

These tests do not detect the presence of legally prescribed drugs or common over-the-counter medications.

How long will drugs stay in my system?

Drugs and alcohol affect every person differently, so drug testing results will be unique to each individual.

Results can be affected by:
•The strength of the drug or alcohol
•How much you have taken
•How you have used it
•How often you have used it
•Other drugs you have taken

Results can also be affected by your:
•Tolerance
•Sex and age
•Overall health and wellbeing
•Metabolism
•Mood, and the environment you are in

How long can they be detected?

Cannabis: Random roadside drug testing can detect THC (the active ingredient in cannabis) for at least several hours after use. The exact time can vary, depending on the amount and potency of the cannabis used and the individual's metabolism. Inactive THC residue in the body of a driver from use in previous days or weeks will not be detected. However there have been reported cases of people testing positive to cannabis a number of days after consuming.

Methamphetamine ("speed", "ice") may be detected for approximately 24 hours after use by random roadside drug testing and is dependent upon the amount and potency of the drug and the individual's metabolism. Note that the withdrawal effects of methamphetamine, such as fatigue, anxiety and irritability, can also lead to unsafe driving.

MDMA (ecstasy) may be detected for approximately 24 hours after use by random roadside drug testing. The exact time will be dependent upon the size and potency of the dose, if other drugs are used at the same time and the individual's metabolism.

http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/fact-...web-fact-sheet
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2017, 02:47 AM   #18
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex-98 View Post
Just another way to raise revenue....people are probably more careful driving when there stoned ..an i think 0.05 is too low for alcohol i think coz we all love a beer should be 0.08 like N.Z laws an if you blow0.08 you pass not fail like our laws atm...people who are 0.05 have prob had one drink an thats to low for a country that loves a beer its part of our culture an us just much fairer
That is the dumbest thing ever said on AFF. If you want to make comments like that try Facebook.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #19
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You have to be trolling

It's not ******* revenue raising, it's trying to get dick heads off the street before they ****up someone's life (or their own)

"Probably more careful, that's funny, they probably have to try harder to concentrate on driving but that doesn't make them better drivers or mean that their levels of concentration are higher than an in affected driver

As for alcohol I'd have no problem with it being lowered to 0.02 across the board
And before you ask, yes I drink, just when I do I don't drive

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 08:00 AM   #20
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One conviction for driving stoned and another just for having illegal drugs in your system.
Time to focus on the users and not only the dealers.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #21
scoupedy

They did a show years ago that showed stoned drivers were more careful than one's sober I have a friend that has driven stoned for 25 years and has never caused an accident meanwhile I have another friend that is on anti seizure meds and stops at roundabouts when there is not a car in sight
They only test for meth and pot what about valium and other meds that turn you into a retard.
Then you have oldies that are constantly mixing the pedals up.... and migrants / tourist that have no idea mates Vietnamese GF got her licease easier than my young Aussie friends and crashed her car in three weeks drove straight into someone on a roundabout.
My GF Grandfather rammed another car didn't even brake he has still got his licease.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #22
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh7l8dx-h8M
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #23
.:4:.
Kicking back

I just an interesting thought. If they are trialing medicinal marijuana does that mean people using it for treatment can't drive? I know the thc's get removed from the medicinal stuff and i have no idea how the test works. At the end of the day (my view of the matter) if it's illegal to smoke the stuff, then there is no reason you should be allowed to drive if they can prove you have been smoking the stuff. To a degree I agree that the most cautious drivers are those that either don't have a licence or are doing something wrong but know they are doing it and what they have to lose (not those ****ed as a fart or high as a kite). The worst ones on the road are those ones who aren't doing anything wrong, and think it's their right to drive because they passed a test once, who flat out cannot drive. Almost got unstuck by ignorance and entitlement yesterday on the drive home. I was on the bluetooth and cut my boss off mid sentence with f..F..F!!!!!. I'll leave it at that. It was close.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

MDMA is the drug of choice at nightclubs etc.

It would be interesting to see the detection rates of MDMA on Friday and Monday morning on the way to work.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #25
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
MDMA is the drug of choice at nightclubs etc.

It would be interesting to see the detection rates of MDMA on Friday and Monday morning on the way to work.
How come they don't test for cocain? Because who will represent all the lawyers who now are the defendants ?That and its the problem with high society, weed is more of an issue with the working class. I'm not going to throw any of my political opinions on the matter in because will kill the thread, but if you aren't doing anything wrong then there is no stress doing it.
Old 22-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #26
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post

Sounds like she belonged in a luney bin and not out with the rest of the normal folk.
Old 22-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #27
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I'd say she had underlying mental health issues and shouldn't have been anywhere near any recreational drug to be honest.

Weed doesn't work that way, its not a hallucinogenic its a depressant if anything, you don't get high, you get low and relaxed.

Yes but can also exaggerate any paranoia or psychosis if the user is predisposed to those conditions which when behind the wheel of a car isn't good.
Old 22-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #28
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Yes but can also exaggerate any paranoia or psychosis if the user is predisposed to those conditions which when behind the wheel of a car isn't good.
Drug induced skitzophrenia. It doesn't happen often with only social use, but it turns into the I don't remembers after something major has happened, and heavy usage. I have lived around people like that before. Not bad people, but when that are out of their mind it's difficult. Getting off the drugs helps, but people still keep some strange manorisms.
Old 22-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #29
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

If it impairs, its dangerous, imo no "in between" here. I'm for zero grog in your system too while driving.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #30
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Hi. Be careful when you go back Bro. the limit in NZ is 0 for under 20 year olds and .05 for over 20 year olds since 2014. ( http://www.transport.govt.nz/land/bloodalcoholqanda/ ). Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: