Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
axe

Default Motor- Best performance car

Everyone knows Motor won't put a Ford at the head of their list (and it is a fairly strong field this year) but let's try and at least get the Falcon/ Focus/ Mustang somewhere near the top of the poll results.

https://www.motormag.com.au/news/161...ce-car-of-2016

XF Ute, ED XR6 sedan, AUII sedan, BF XR6 sedan, FG XR6T sedan

Now

Ford FGX XR6 Sprint, FG MkII XT EcoLPI
axe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Motor- Best performance car

Sorry?

Bang for Buck
2015 Winner - Ford Fiesta ST
2014 Winner - Ford Fiesta ST
2008 Winner - Falcon XR6 Turbo Ute

PCOTY is a little different, considering price has very little weight in the judging hence why Porsche is the dominant car.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:02 AM   #3
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6 Sprint has a huge lead - looks like lots of Ford Forum members have voted....

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 01:09 AM   #4
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
XR6 Sprint has a huge lead - looks like lots of Ford Forum members have voted....
I wouldn't have voted for that unfortunately....
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 02:07 AM   #5
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
I wouldn't have voted for that unfortunately....
Nah, screw it- I just voted for it three times because I bought one, just to make sure a Holden doesn't win it; even if mine is a bloody dud
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
4 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 02:20 AM   #6
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

It’s not best straight line bang for buck, it’s the best performance car.

How could you not vote for the likes of the 911R, McLaren, Huracan and so on.

Seriously I near choked on my coffee when I saw the number of votes for the Redline, Clubby, and Sprints.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 02:37 AM   #7
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post

Seriously I near choked on my coffee when I saw the number of votes for the Redline, Clubby, and Sprints.
To be fair, and though I agree, I don't follow much of this stuff like some people do, but the XR6 Sprint was quicker round Baskerville than an Audi RS3, that's a pretty awesome effort....

That's probably more n line to the response that it's not a straight line, one trick pony- I was dubious myself but they've made this platform perform, handle and brake like it has never done before. Mines a POS, but I have to give it to them on that, it's a stellar effort. And let's be honest, we can dream all we like but those more affordable platforms are the only ones worth voting for for the common man. All well and good to aspire but keep the sights within realistic terms too- I think that's the way most people generally vote and it's probably the only one that counts in the real world.

I'd love a Lamborghini or an Aston but I'd still rather a shed full of Fords than one of those. Ford GT didn't make the list, so Sprints are as good a Ford offering as we have to pick from with the arguable and controversial exception of the Focus RS.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 04-11-2016, 03:53 AM   #8
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
To be fair, and though I agree, I don't follow much of this stuff like some people do, but the XR6 Sprint was quicker round Baskerville than an Audi RS3, that's a pretty awesome effort....

That's probably more n line to the response that it's not a straight line, one trick pony- I was dubious myself but they've made this platform perform, handle and brake like it has never done before. Mines a POS, but I have to give it to them on that, it's a stellar effort. And let's be honest, we can dream all we like but those more affordable platforms are the only ones worth voting for for the common man. All well and good to aspire but keep the sights within realistic terms too- I think that's the way most people generally vote and it's probably the only one that counts in the real world.

I'd love a Lamborghini or an Aston but I'd still rather a shed full of Fords than one of those. Ford GT didn't make the list, so Sprints are as good a Ford offering as we have to pick from with the arguable and controversial exception of the Focus RS.

When I looked at the list my first thought was there are a number of different categories of performance cars to choose from that really shouldn’t be competing against each other and why didn’t Motor breakdown the list into say performance sedans, supercars, coupes, hot hatches and so on.

I’m also not a buyer of these type of magazines as many of the featured cars don’t interest me and I do get your point about affordable platforms but that’s a bit akin to saying it depends on the demographic of the readership to what car is the best performer.

I’m never going to purchase a 911R but I still wouldn’t vote for a Redline just because that’s what I own and I didn’t vote for the C63S even though I have one on order, I choose the 911R but I could have just as easily went for any of the cars that cost over half a million dollars because simply most of them are in another league.

Anyway it was just a thought bubble going through my head and I posted I was surprised at how many people would vote the way they have, each to their own as they say.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #9
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

I've never driven those cars so if I did vote for them, it'd be an uninformed vote based on the opinions of others. The Sprints and Commodores I have driven though!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #10
axe

Quote:
When I looked at the list my first thought was there are a number of different categories of performance cars to choose from that really shouldn’t be competing against each other and why didn’t Motor breakdown the list into say performance sedans, supercars, coupes, hot hatches and so on.
That was my initial thought as well because realistically a Porsche 911 should win most comparisons if we're talking about a "performance" car.

But on the other hand there's also the personal level, which one would you save your dollars to actually buy in the event that you don't win the lotto?

XF Ute, ED XR6 sedan, AUII sedan, BF XR6 sedan, FG XR6T sedan

Now

Ford FGX XR6 Sprint, FG MkII XT EcoLPI
axe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I've never driven those cars so if I did vote for them, it'd be an uninformed vote based on the opinions of others.
I fail to understand how anyone can vote for any of the cars they haven't driven.

I don't really get how the PCOTY is determined, is it really just from people voting on the internet about 12 cars they probably haven't even driven a single one of?

.... Having said that, just voted XR6 Sprint. Can't have a Holden win a competition of armchair experts!
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
Sioso
irregular member

I wanted to support Ford but can't when the 911R is one of the options.
For anyone who hasn't seen Chris Harris's review see below:

(V12 Vantage S Vs 911R)

Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I fail to understand how anyone can vote for any of the cars they haven't driven.

I don't really get how the PCOTY is determined, is it really just from people voting on the internet about 12 cars they probably haven't even driven a single one of?

.... Having said that, just voted XR6 Sprint. Can't have a Holden win a competition of armchair experts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
I've never driven those cars so if I did vote for them, it'd be an uninformed vote based on the opinions of others. The Sprints and Commodores I have driven though!

So 173 people who have voted for the sprints should have at least driven them?

I’ve never driven a Sprint and most likely never will and therefore I’m in no position to ever have an opinion on how well it performs even if someone else in the know has passed on their thoughts to me.

Time for me to stop reading car reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe
That was my initial thought as well because realistically a Porsche 911 should win most comparisons if we're talking about a "performance" car.

But on the other hand there's also the personal level, which one would you save your dollars to actually buy in the event that you don't win the lotto?

As I've already posted I own a VF2 Redline and have a C63S on order and have test driven one but I still didn't vote that way as my brain can interpret and evaluate info given to me that says maybe something like a Porsche is better.

In the end the voting doesn't matter as over the years most of these types of magazines have been repeatedly criticized on this Forum for their bias articles and anything they publish is rubbish anyway.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #14
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So 173 people who have voted for the sprints should have at least driven them?

I’ve never driven a Sprint and most likely never will and therefore I’m in no position to ever have an opinion on how well it performs even if someone else in the know has passed on their thoughts to me.

Time for me to stop reading car reviews.
The thing with car reviews is that the reviewer has (well hopefully) at least driven the car. Would you read a review on a car written by a person who hasn't even sat in the car?

The thing with this internet PCOTY poll is that I'm willing to bet that a very large percentage of votes are by people who have never driven any of the cars. I've not driven one car on that list, yet as I said, I voted.

Do you think the results of this poll will be accurate and a true representation of what the performance car of the year actually is?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #15
OzriderXR8

We have a Merc dealer round the corner from work, these AMG V8's are just monsters, sound like pure evil.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #16
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
The thing with car reviews is that the reviewer has (well hopefully) at least driven the car. Would you read a review on a car written by a person who hasn't even sat in the car?

The thing with this internet PCOTY poll is that I'm willing to bet that a very large percentage of votes are by people who have never driven any of the cars. I've not driven one car on that list, yet as I said, I voted.

Do you think the results of this poll will be accurate and a true representation of what the performance car of the year actually is?
I would expect a good reviewer to have driven the car and formed in part their opinion based on that but I know that isn’t always the case as you can read multiple reviews on a new release and they are all quoting almost verbatim the marketing blurb dished out by the manufacturer and it’s those reviews that I tend to disregard.

I don’t expect everyone to have driven these cars, in fact most of us haven’t and I don’t expect you need to drive them to have an opinion but if they are interested enough to vote they are most likely interested enough to know of or have read about some of the competing vehicles and be able to put those into some perspective.

Going by the current polling I would say the result shows no accuracy what so ever to what a true performance car is.

I’m not sure why I’m still posting as I originally just made a comment and I won’t ever care which car wins or doesn’t as this is just a reader’s poll and not even the opinion of Motor Magazine which may come up with a totally different result.

This is a link to Drive’s current ‘Car of the Year’ preview and it is broken down into categories and in the performance section the Porsche doesn’t compete with the Mustang or Focus RS and that how it should be and of course the voting will come from people who actually drive and evaluate the vehicles and still I may not agree with the outcome but at least I'll understand how they came to their decision.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/2...01-gsfsa3.html

Old 04-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

i don't think i need to drive the cars to know that a mclaren, hurican, porsche, AMG etc etc might be a better performance car than a falcon or a commodore.

also, using the same argument, if you can't vote 'for' a car because you haven't driven it, how can you vote 'against' it, just because you have driven something else??
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #18
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Motor – 2016 Bang For Your Buck $50 – 100K

1 Mercedes-AMG A45
2 Holden SS-V Redline
3 Audi RS3
4 BMW M2
5 Chrysler 300 Core
6 Ford XR8 Sprint
7 Ford XR6 Sprint
8 Ford Mustang GT
9 BMW 135i
10 Audi TT S

Motor – 2016 Bang For Your Buck $0 - $50K

1 Holden SS Ute
2 Volkswagen Polo GTi
3 Peugeot 308 GTi 250
4 Volkswagen Golf GTi
5 Ford Fiesta ST
6 Renault Sport Clio Trophy
7 Mazda MX-5 2.0
8 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
9 Mini Cooper JCW

Motor – 2016 Bang For Your Buck – Outright Winner

1 Volkswagen Polo GTi
2 Holden SS-V Redline
3 Mercedes-AMG A45
4 Holden SS Ute
5 BMW M2 Pure
6 Ford Fiesta ST
7 Audi RS3
8 Ford Falcon XR6 Sprint
9 Volkswagen Golf GTi
10 Ford Mustang GT
11 Ford Falcon XR8 Sprint
= 12 Audi TT S
= 12 Peugeot 308 GTi 250
14 Chrysler 300 Core
15 BMW M135i
16 Mazda MX-5 2.0
17 Renault Sport Clio Trophy
18 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
19 Mini Cooper JCW

Read all the results and judging articles here:

https://www.motormag.com.au/events/bang-for-your-bucks
Old 05-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #19
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

How can the XR8 beat the XR6T $50k to $100 but then fall behind outright?!

kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 01:16 AM   #20
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the mighty Redline!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #21
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
It's on the internet so it must be true

Seriously though, MOTOR have supposedly done their own comparison tests and will publish the results later, asking the public for their vote is nothing more than an exercise in fanboyism with no connection to reality whatsoever

The hit count on the website is of more use to MOTOR than the public vote
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #22
pearlhead

Quick question; who was the winner of the last Motormag best performance car poll from 2015?
pearlhead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #23
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I reckon the Redline deserves it's position in the table. Fezza needs an update. GTi though? Not sure about that.

All that said i've never been a fan of Luffy reviewing anything with a blue oval. Wouldn't affect Redline in this case, it's bloody good.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #24
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Nah, screw it- I just voted for it three times because I bought one, just to make sure a Holden doesn't win it; even if mine is a bloody dud
Hey Jim. Is that one vote per engine.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #25
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
I reckon the Redline deserves it's position in the table. Fezza needs an update. GTi though? Not sure about that.

All that said i've never been a fan of Luffy reviewing anything with a blue oval. Wouldn't affect Redline in this case, it's bloody good.
Redline is an awesome car. I have one as a daily. It's only when you drive a car with real power you realize how weak 6 litres can be.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2016, 02:33 AM   #26
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just bought a Redline myself, Nice car.
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4