Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default QBE Insurance Box

Anyone else noticing the ads on TV for QBE's OBDII 'Insurance Box'?

It's something I've known would be upon us in the future...and now it's here. Big Brother (QBE) can now monitor our exact location, speed, direction, braking at any time we're driving, and it's a breach of your policy not to use it (so you'd be uninsured). It appears to you can still get a regular policy though, but if you choose the 'Insurance Box' policy, you're locked in!

http://insurancebox.com.au/tour

Personally I'll be avoiding this kind of device and monitoring as long as I possibly can, but I predict that soon enough all insurance agencies will offer this kind of product and those who don't want it will be hit with a cost premium not to be monitored...

The next line of thought is - how long until we've all got these devices and other agencies are beginning to request access too...?

Thoughts?
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: QBE Insurance Box

I'm going to get one for my XY.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post

It's something I've known would be upon us in the future...and now it's here. Big Brother (QBE) can now monitor our exact location, speed, direction, braking at any time we're driving, and it's a breach of your policy not to use it (so you'd be uninsured). It appears to you can still get a regular policy though, but if you choose the 'Insurance Box' policy, you're locked in!

Personally I'll be avoiding this kind of device and monitoring as long as I possibly can, but I predict that soon enough all insurance agencies will offer this kind of product and those who don't want it will be hit with a cost premium not to be monitored...

The next line of thought is - how long until we've all got these devices and other agencies are beginning to request access too...?

Thoughts?
I'd never get one, just cause I feel like my driving style wouldn't agree with insurance companies very much. I don't think getting a 1 star rating from the insurance box would save me money.

Problem with these OBD things is accelerating hard in rain at rush hour is treated just as badly as accelerating hard at an intersection on the highway or accelerating hard on a deserted road in the dry. I can't speak for everyone, but when I pull up first at a signal or approach an empty off ramp in the dry, I like to put the foot down and hear the engine roar. I get a cheap thrill out of it. What's the point of owning a 4L if you don't enjoy it every know and then...

We don't have any of these insurance box things in NZ though. Perhaps we have some privacy laws against it, I'm not too certain. Cause it seems like all insurance companies in America and Aus are making moves towards this OBD monitoring policy, and their kiwi branches aren't doing a thing.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
yearby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't touch QBE, they have a reputation for not paying.
I started hearing all the stories after they sent me to the wall by not paying out for my lose of employment insurance I had with them.
To add insult to injury, they keep taking out payments from my account 9 months after I lodged my claim and then they terminated it.
yearby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Unfortunately, Insurance Box won't work in this car

Because of its engineering, your specific make and model - a 2009 Ford Falcon FG G6E Turbo Sedan 4dr Spts Auto 6sp 4.0T - cannot be fitted with the Insurance Box. You may be able to fit the Insurance Box in other cars that you own, but unfortunately, we cannot offer you insurance for this car.

Awesome as I did not want to take out my OBDII Torque Scanner lol

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

AAMI have had a similar (but more low tech) thing out for a while now.

https://www.aami.com.au/car-insuranc...phone-app.html
Old 22-01-2016, 06:10 PM   #7
Binny

This thing and the AAMI app are a crock.

So if I use one of these things and always accelerate and brake gently I will get a high score and apparently be a "Good Driver".
In the meantime I can also be -
- running red lights
- cutting people off
- driving drunk
- speeding in roadworks zones
- doing 20 or 30 under the limit on a motorway!
- driving at night without lights on (I see it all the time!)
etc etc and their stupid farcical box is none the wiser.
Old 22-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #8
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There has been a lot of big brother tech applied to Australians in recent years without much of a boo from the population.

So I think these companies know it will be easy to introduce these monitoring systems and Aussies will do what is expected, complain at home but not rock the boat and accept it.
Old 22-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #9
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I tried that aami app, speed zones were wrong for certain areas. Can't take into account hard braking to avoid an accident and apparently I accelerate up to speed 'to quick'. When you start trying to relate driving record purely on numbers you're gonna have a bad time.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #10
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

There will be a situation where an accident will be caused because someone was driving to QBE's prescribed driving requirements. When that happens watch QBE (and the other bottom feeders) disown their own rules.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #11
monzie

Looks like part of a new direction for QBE[and others], have had my F350 insured with them for 4yrs. Private rego, private use, cat 1, no claims. Just before christmas got a letter saying they could no longer cover me unless I went to commerial rates which would add over $330 per year. And that was with a 250k radius limit, increase the radius would be higher again.
They now won't privately cover any vehicle over 3500kgs GVM. Probably a directive from the underwriters.
Added info for those that don't know my 2005 F350 is rego'd in Vic as a "light vehicle" with a GVM of 4490kgs [car licence]. 01-06 F250's would be in the same boat with a GVM of 38##kgs
Old 23-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #12
Trump
bitch lasagne

QBE can shove that box up their poo chute.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2016, 07:42 PM   #13
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh um, they wont cover my vehicle anyway
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #14
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post

Thoughts?
They won't need them fitted to cars in the future, they will download it all from the microchip inserted under your skin - that's the way it's headed, the conformity is getting out of control.
Next it will be an app on your phone to monitor your behavior in order to take out a life insurance policy.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #15
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
This thing and the AAMI app are a crock.

So if I use one of these things and always accelerate and brake gently I will get a high score and apparently be a "Good Driver".
In the meantime I can also be -
- running red lights
- cutting people off
- driving drunk
- speeding in roadworks zones
- doing 20 or 30 under the limit on a motorway!
- driving at night without lights on (I see it all the time!)
etc etc and their stupid farcical box is none the wiser.
so, basically as safe as a speeding camera then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
There will be a situation where an accident will be caused because someone was driving to QBE's prescribed driving requirements. When that happens watch QBE (and the other bottom feeders) disown their own rules.
no one will ever be able to prove their "rules" lead to the accident!
Old 24-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #16
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearby View Post
I wouldn't touch QBE, they have a reputation for not paying.
I started hearing all the stories after they sent me to the wall by not paying out for my lose of employment insurance I had with them.
To add insult to injury, they keep taking out payments from my account 9 months after I lodged my claim and then they terminated it.
Another reason to avoid QBE is the hang time on the phone waiting to get connected. I was with that company once and a 30 - 40 minute wait to get connected was the norm.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #17
mitelsx2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a load of B___t I would stay clear of this lot.

Unfortunately, Insurance Box won't work in this car

Because of its engineering, your specific make and model - a 2011 Ford Performance Vehicles GT E FG Sedan 4dr Spts Auto 6sp 5.0SC - cannot be fitted with the Insurance Box. You may be able to fit the Insurance Box in other cars that you own, but unfortunately, we cannot offer you insurance for this car.

Previous rides: 2011 FPV GTE colour Edge 6-speed Auto, Build #019
BMC Twin air filter, street fighter oil breathers, Window tints & paint protection. CTB Tuned 364 rwKW
XR8 Black Lux pack 2004
Fiesta trend 2017
mitelsx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #18
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I work in the industry and I can tell you that telematics (as we know it) is in it's infancy. Don't get involved - there's no upside for the consumer at this stage. When all cars have this sort of thing built in and warranted by the manufacturers then it will be time to reconsider.

In the meantime just do what you've always done - shop around for the best rate at policy renewal.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: