Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
Dustproof

Default New noise

I have a series 2 LV TDCi with Auto. Lately I am getting a noise that could be considered as Turbo whine, it sounds like a police siren and increases and decreases with throttle response to a point. The car is not lacking power but this noise is just creeping in and I can't explain it. I had the Auto serviced at 60,000km's so I am unsure if it might be in the transmission. Normally Turbo whine is higher pitched than this noise - just weird.

Has anyone had a noise like this with their TDCi Auto?

Thanks
Noel
Old 08-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New noise

is it a pulley bearing? The idler pulley or waterpump bearing noises will increase with RPMs
but your KLMs are a bit low for water pump issues.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Probably the alternator. Mine made the same weird whining / police siren noise, that increased with throttle, back in 2011: http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11325474

Probably had around 60-70,000km on the clock.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Remove drive belt and run engine for a short period. If noise is gone, you know it is something driven by the belts, if it is still there it is something internal. Relatively easy test to try....
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2015, 12:14 AM   #5
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

I have the same car, mine has what sound like a resonant momentary high-pitched whine at around 2000rpm which disappears when you're above and below. Happens in any gear under load.

Mine is a 6sp manual though...

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11353588
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Dustproof

Thanks guys, it seems noises are not something unnatural. I have to service the car soon so I will check it out whilst I am in there. My wife drives the car to work all the time and suddenly they other day when I was driving it, she say "Oh yeah, it's making this noise" hurrumph! why didn't you say something earlier... ahhhh!
Old 18-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Dustproof

I had the service done and nothing found except a kink in the air intake hose. The sound appears to be coming from the Turbo, if I stand on it the sound goes high. Not too sure what might be the problem, maybe there is a pressure leak somewhere. I does it when free revving too, it take a bit of foot pressure to get it to do it. I am going to have a good look tomorrow.
Old 27-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #8
Dustproof

Found the noise is coming from the Turbo, now to figure out if it is terminal or something silly.