Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default power prices and renewables

Was just watching Sunrise and they were talking to some bloke who just relocated his solar business to the US because Uncle Tony and the libs are slowly kneecapping the solar industry or something, I wasn't paying that much attention. But I did catch that here in SA all our energy needs are now being met by renewable energy sources; by that I assume it's all wind and solar. So if that's the case, WTF is the justification for continuing to crank up the power prices considering they don't need to spend money on fossil fuels any more in this state.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: power prices and renewables

Renewable power is subsidised heavily. The big con is that renewable power is better for us consumers, no it isn't, it's better for the foreign owned companies who pick up government subsidies to build wind turbines, solar panels etc.

This week an Australian company has had to seriously downsize due to foreign made wind turbines being used to produce renewable power.
Check the history of wind generated power prices in countries when the governments stopped the subsidy.

As for solar power, the base load still has to be met by coal [ or nuclear if we ever get some politicians with the b---s to do it ].
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

^ That problem is the Government's fault, there is a potential to have a new industry here and research into green technology but the current mob isn't interested.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with all the people going solar, there are less people to pay the power companies, so the individual has to pay more

soon the solar battery technology will be good enough and affordable enough for people to run their homes 100% on solar and disconnect from the grid completely

less people on the grid means less people to pay the power companies, meaning bills will get bigger for those still on the grid, which will drive them to get off the grid as well; they call this the energy death spiral
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Was just watching Sunrise and they were talking to some bloke who just relocated his solar business to the US because Uncle Tony and the libs are slowly kneecapping the solar industry or something, I wasn't paying that much attention. But I did catch that here in SA all our energy needs are now being met by renewable energy sources; by that I assume it's all wind and solar. So if that's the case, WTF is the justification for continuing to crank up the power prices considering they don't need to spend money on fossil fuels any more in this state.

we are about to lose Tindo, a local manufacturer of quality solar panels and, of course, the technology, employment and manufacturing base will be gone.

as long as Govco follow the wishes of big business and not serve the community we will continue to place our hands into our ever dwindling pocket of resources.

Australia is seen by the rest of the world as nothing more than a mine to be ripped up and sold off like spongecake.......that's "globalisation" and of course the heavily subsidised "level playing field" which see's us as a nation getting very little out of the resources that we give away.

every other first world nation is going renewable while we are going backward in shutting this sector down' instead of seeing this as an opportunity to export our technology and intellectual knowhow we are shoving our heads up our **** and going the other way.......madness.

our gas is being given away at a rapid rate of knots, our farms are being sold off as fast as we can sign the contract and out employment is being sent overseas as fast as the companies can close.

the question of subsidised power to the consumers gets really sickening and has been answered many times before so I won't comment again on that.

we are going "off grid" as quick as we can but govco and the multinationals have their sites on other money making opportunities to the detriment of the consumer once again, gas is one.

Florida has legislation in place making it illegal to generate your own power......

whilst we let the multinational investors rule our country the common man is in the poop.......I see nothing but poverty in the future for those who do not take the steps now to insulate themselves against the money focussed thieves masquerading as our government and the investment sector.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Don't know how every one can blame federal government, state governments have more control on power companies in their own states.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Federal, State, Local, does it matter ? We are the most over governed country in the world and we still can't get it right.....
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Federal, State, Local, does it matter ? We are the most over governed country in the world and we still can't get it right.....
Which is what I find interesting is that one of the major political parties preach less government intervention, less "red tape" but they still want to dictate your life to you in ways such as marriage and they back big business in deals where we lose out.

Unfortunately if you keep putting a 1 in the box for either of the big two you can expect the same result from both parties consistently, as they have no reason to change because what they do is still getting both of them into power when their turn comes around.

The wake up call needs to come from us and we have the power to do it, people don't realise that.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Solar, wind, wave are not cheap, they are heavily subsidised my the consumer (direct and indirect taxes and huge rebates for producing power back into the grid).

At to the mix the hysteria of global warming, co2, sea level rises, dying penguins and a whole lot more (which IMO have been used as a smoke screen to hide the heavy subsidised).

Put it another way, imaging a scheme where people were paid a lot of money to walk instead of using a car, more and more people think this a great dea, but business which use cars now find there are fewer cars and their costs are higher too, car manufacturers can't understand this either and are forced to increase their prices, lay off staff and eventually move off shore where cars are still used. Soon everyone is walking and getting paid a lot of money. It is a simple concept, for the life of me I can not see a single issue...
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Ms_Jam

Quote:
the solar battery technology will be good enough and affordable enough for people to run their homes 100% on solar and disconnect from the grid completely
You don't happen to have a source for that statement do you? I would just be interested.

I ask because, from what I hear, the problem in going off-grid is the cost of batteries -- which I understand is typically underestimated and underestimated a lot.
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
As for solar power, the base load still has to be met by coal [ or nuclear if we ever get some politicians with the b---s to do it ].
Or hydro... ? The Snowy Hydro is only operating on a peak load basis currently, but would it have the capacity for base load (at least on a small scale)?

It was our greatest feat of engineering, I wonder why we have never sought to replicate it anywhere else. eg. FNQ has huge rainfall, but I guess its hard to get something like this through when everywhere useful for hydro is national park....
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Which is what I find interesting is that one of the major political parties preach less government intervention, less "red tape" but they still want to dictate your life to you in ways such as marriage and they back big business in deals where we lose out.

Unfortunately if you keep putting a 1 in the box for either of the big two you can expect the same result from both parties consistently, as they have no reason to change because what they do is still getting both of them into power when their turn comes around.

The wake up call needs to come from us and we have the power to do it, people don't realise that.
This is why i haven't voted in the last 2 federal elections. I don't like the choice they give me.
I haven't been fined either, i wonder why.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Are we? don't think so.
Have a look at other countries government structures & politics & compare before you make silly comments.
Old 26-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
This is why i haven't voted in the last 2 federal elections. I don't like the choice they give me.
Big Damo makes a good point in his comment, try to understand your politics & understand the different ways you can vote instead of the big tick in No 1 box only

Abstaining from voting is not good, you are allowing others to make decisions for you, no use crying when things go against your ideals.

Last edited by Itsme; 26-10-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 26-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SH-Y needs to go live in a cave
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #16
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Are we? don't think so.
Have a look at other countries government structures & politics & compare before you make silly comments.
You obviously work for the Government.......
Old 26-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
Plenty of smaller parties who would be keen for your vote, don't have to do one of the big boys, if enough people think that way the big boys might not be too big anymore.

Look at how everyone used to laugh at the Greens, all of a sudden come 2010 they picked up seats in Melbourne.

They're now a legitimate threat to the big boys in the inner Melbourne suburbs and the big boys even recognise that fact.

Remember don't vote above the line.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #18
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Plenty of smaller parties who would be keen for your vote, don't have to do one of the big boys, if enough people think that way the big boys might not be too big anymore.

Look at how everyone used to laugh at the Greens, all of a sudden come 2010 they picked up seats in Melbourne.

They're now a legitimate threat to the big boys in the inner Melbourne suburbs and the big boys even recognise that fact.

Remember don't vote above the line.
If you ask me we have had our fair share of small parties, past and present, each and everyone has been a disaster subjecting the majority to the whims of an elist minority. Federation needs to be fixed, and fat chance of that happening e.g. why is there a huge Federal Health dept which runs zero hospitals?

The amount of waste is mind blowing ... but what does this have to do with renewables?
Old 26-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
If you ask me we have had our fair share of small parties, past and present, each and everyone has been a disaster subjecting the majority to the whims of an elist minority. Federation needs to be fixed, and fat chance of that happening e.g. why is there a huge Federal Health dept which runs zero hospitals?

The amount of waste is mind blowing ... but what does this have to do with renewables?
When Federal Parliament began there were no big parties just independent members, our government worked then & could do so today without big political party policies.

Cheers.
Old 26-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #20
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
When Federal Parliament began there were no big parties just independent members, our government worked then & could do so today without big political party policies.

Cheers.
Would we want PUP ruling the place, it is after all a small party...
Old 26-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #21
superyob
Banned

Quote:

Cheers.
Your evidence please. And don't post up a link...

BTW, coal rules!
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #22
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thers new battery technology that has just been realised in Singapore that drastically cuts recharge times and the batteries apparently can last up to 20 yrs cycle life.

Give it a couple more years and we should see some big changes in solar power set ups and electric vehicles also.

I personally cannot wait for this new battery tech to come around.
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Thers new battery technology that has just been realised in Singapore that drastically cuts recharge times and the batteries apparently can last up to 20 yrs cycle life.

Give it a couple more years and we should see some big changes in solar power set ups and electric vehicles also.

I personally cannot wait for this new battery tech to come around.
It seems like everything else has advanced greatly but bigger batteries are still the same old stuff, we're only recently seeing some changes.
Old 26-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Your evidence please. And don't post up a link...

BTW, coal rules!
Read your history on Federal Parliament, political parties & politicians, use to be taught in schools once!
Old 26-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #25
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Read your history on Federal Parliament, political parties & politicians, use to be taught in schools once!
The ALP was founded as a federal party prior to the first sitting of the Australian Parliament in 1901, but is descended from labour parties founded in the various Australian colonies by the emerging labour movement in Australia, formally beginning in 1892. Labor is thus the country's oldest political party. Colonial labour parties contested seats from 1891, and federal seats following the Federation at the 1901 federal election. Labor was the first party in Australia to win a majority in either house of the Australian Parliament, at the 1910 federal election. The ALP pre-dates both the British Labour Party and the New Zealand Labour Party in party formation, government, and policy implementation.[2

I hate using Wikipedia as a reliable source of information, but it seems this large political party was around to see Federation...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #26
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All "renewables" are unable to stand on thier own two feet without massive taxpayer subsidies, full stop. The amount of power they produce is totally unable to run our modern society.
If you want to see a "renewables are the only way" proponent run a mile to avoid answering a question, just whisper "What about constant, on demand, high output base load power for households and industry?"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #27
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If that new battery technology is ever implemented (I read similar claims about 3 years ago), how would that change the mobile carrier contracts, considering the battery starts failing 3-6 months before your contract runs out. I`ve re-signed previously, not because I needed a new phone so much, but new battery. Been on pre-paid for a while now, just use hand-me-downs... 5,10, 20 year contract maybe?

As for us selling off 'assets', its not just the current Government, its been happening for decades. Even Peter Garret approved Uranium Mining.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #28
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
The ALP was founded as a federal party prior to the first sitting of the Australian Parliament in 1901, but is descended from labour parties founded in the various Australian colonies by the emerging labour movement in Australia, formally beginning in 1892. Labor is thus the country's oldest political party. Colonial labour parties contested seats from 1891, and federal seats following the Federation at the 1901 federal election. Labor was the first party in Australia to win a majority in either house of the Australian Parliament, at the 1910 federal election. The ALP pre-dates both the British Labour Party and the New Zealand Labour Party in party formation, government, and policy implementation.[2

I hate using Wikipedia as a reliable source of information, but it seems this large political party was around to see Federation...
Very true about the labour party being founded early but they have not been in power all the time in early federation, read your history, not part of it.
Old 26-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #29
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
All "renewables" are unable to stand on thier own two feet without massive taxpayer subsidies, full stop. The amount of power they produce is totally unable to run our modern society.
If you want to see a "renewables are the only way" proponent run a mile to avoid answering a question, just whisper "What about constant, on demand, high output base load power for households and industry?"...
You state renewables are subsidised... but the fact is that so are fossil fuels... massively, to the tune of billions of dollars each year.

You claim that renewable sources cannot sustain baseload, but it does have the capacity to. In SA on Tuesday 30th September this year, electricity generated through wind was greater than total state NEM demand for a whole business day (9:30am to 6pm).

Data analysis by Hugh Saddler regarding South Australia's energy generation and usage last month shows...

Quote:
...in SA there were several periods when wind generation was greater than total state NEM demand: briefly on Saturday afternoon, for much of Sunday, and again – most strikingly – between about 9.30am and 6pm on Tuesday, a normal working day.

'True' demand by consumers on that day (i.e. the amount of electricity being used by consumers) was in fact considerably higher than NEM demand – up to 20 per cent, according to the Australian Photovoltaic Institute – because of the contribution of rooftop PV to total electricity supply. During this period all of the thermal power stations in SA were shut down, with the exception of the two units at the coal-fired Northern Power station, each of which ran at about 60 per cent of full load, and one of the four units at the gas-fired Torrens Island B station, which was running at about 25 per cent of full load.

Considerable volumes of electricity were exported to Victoria. In simple arithmetic terms (though not, of course, in how the grid actually operated) the state’s electricity supply was 100 per cent renewable while coal- and gas- fired electricity was exported.
The capacity to generate power to reliably and completely satisfy demand from renewables is limited at this point in time, but continued investment and diversification would see this capacity increase.

Why are you happy for us to continue investing and subsidising coal, but not renewables?

That question is not rhetorical btw, I actually can't get my head around your position and would at least like to try and understand your point of view.

Last edited by karj; 26-10-2014 at 11:55 PM.
karj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
^ That problem is the Government's fault, there is a potential to have a new industry here and research into green technology but the current mob isn't interested.
Nah , all they are interested in is the green vote, the whole political system is flawed, as are all these party`s , their no 1. priority is getting power and lining their pockets, it would not matter if any party came up with the perfect plan to make this country great, ie better public transport/power/roads/schooling/infrastructure the other/s would quickly sabotage it, if they could not find something to shoot it down ..........something would be found/arranged ;), wink ,wink.

Most of the population are almost as guilty as these ******, majority of the population votes for who gives the most hand outs, not for whats best for the country.
no one even gives a toss our manufacturing has steadily declined for decades, "but hey baby i can buy a cheap import", made in Australia is almost non existent, the truth is majority don't really give a toss.
we could easily do something great with the power , we have masses of space and coastline to do stuff, but again , unless their is either money or power/votes to be had, no one wants to bother .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: