Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 31-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Mondeo Man
Starter Motor

Default MA Mondeo Outside Temp Sensor

Hi all I have just bought a Mondeo 2007 XR5 Turbo and the outside temp sensor was working fine but lately it has been reading -48 degs weird temps like that and sometimes it reads fine but not too often. Does anyone else had this trouble or heard of it.
Also does anyone know where the sensor is located and how to check it do you have to clean them or anything just annoying really.
Thanks.
Mondeo Man

Mondeo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MA Mondeo Outside Temp Sensor

Had some weird readings in my time but mainly on the high side after its been parked.
I understand the sensor needs the car to be moving to be accurate, as is located low down at the front of the car, to get a better read on black ice conditions.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Mondeo Man
Starter Motor

Thanks DRU842 I appreciate reply so then its a normal thing to have it reading off the chart like that??
Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

no not -48 unless it's -50 outside, they usually are on par with where the vehicle is parked, but if it's just been used and you've parked in a small garage and closed to roller door; only to use it again say 5-10mins later, it's not uncommon for it to read say 35+, being in the engine bay area when it's 27 outside. It creeps down shortly when you're out moving in the open air.

it's playing up but it's not completely failed in this regard. It won't fix itself so a replacement is on the books somewhere down the track given the wiring harness/connections/ECU is up to scratch.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

-48 wouldn't surprise me lately if you're in Adelaide ;)
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say its unusual if it so far off after you've driven it for 5 minutes.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
Mondeo Man
Starter Motor

Hey thanks guys for all replies sorry for late reply but had techonogical issues with computer. Ive tried to find it but does anyone know exactly where it is and what it looks like?? Ill just check it out.
Thanks
Mondeo Man
Old 04-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
BC1000stars

Pretty certain it'll be be in front of the radiator, more than likely on one side of it but down low. It should look like a short, stubby fat pen and it'll have two wires coming out of it with a connector that then goes into the loom.
I'm taking this info from my own mk2 Mondeo in regards to placement and what it looks like, hope it helps but seeing as yours is a mk4 Mondy it may be slightly different.
Just going on the theory that Ford would place the sensor in a similar place.
To access mine you need to remove the front splash panel from underneath.
Once again, apologies if it ends up being a wild goose chase but I thought the info *may* help.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
Mondeo Man
Starter Motor

BC1000stars thanks for reply Ill check her out tomorrow and let you know how I go if I find it or not I appreciate your reply mate thanks heaps.
regards Mondeo man