Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #1
dazFX
Starter Motor

Default Camshafts, CAI, Headers/Full Exhaust for a Duratec

Been craving some more power lately for my Focus. I just want to know if anyone on here has done these performance mods on their focus and if you thought it was worthwhile?

I already have a CAI so i'm looking at Full exhaust and Camshafts

These should fit right?

http://www.crower.com/camshafts/ford...camshafts.html

dazFX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Default Re: Camshafts, CAI, Headers/Full Exhaust for a Duratec

Hey dazFX,

I have looked at doing the cams myself but have not gotten there yet due to the cost of switching to a manual gearbox. Anyway, there are quite a few kent and cosworth cams on the burtons website, each for a different application. Not much stats to compare with the one your looking at, but the description in your add sounds like it will work without the need to swap the valve springs or lifters.

here is a link to the cosworth cams for a comparison:
http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-...duct_group=155

Also a turning guide for an interesting read:
http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-gu...ing-guide.html

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you go ahead with it as I'd love to know how it turns out.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Plenty of camshaft options - see an old thread here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11323144

It is common to do the cams in the US, plenty of guys doing it on their focus, but haven't really heard of anyone doing it here. That said, the Fiesta XR4 uses the same Duratec engine and some guys have done a cam upgrade.

What year Focus do you have?
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
dazFX
Starter Motor

2009 LV

I will be getting the exhaust sorted first, i'm looking at Xforce header and high flow cat and hopefully my brothers friend can do some custom 2.5'' piping from the cat.

I'll have a go at this go tomorrow after work:

http://www.ozmazda.com/board/index.p...-mazda3/page-2

will update if i notice a difference
Old 28-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
dazFX
Starter Motor

Does anyone here know of any good places to get my focus tuned in Melbourne (or by email)?

I've got the Crower Stage 1 camshafts. My LV doesn't seem to be learning these cams, it idles too low when at operating temp. The car is drivable just not in stop start traffic.

Anyways.. it seems noticeably quicker on freeway on ramps....
Old 29-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

How did the camshaft installation go? Was it a DIY job or did you get a shop to do it?
Old 29-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
dazFX
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
How did the camshaft installation go? Was it a DIY job or did you get a shop to do it?
I DIYed it, best guide is probably the one on fordxr4.com

* You will need a 21mm Crows Foot not 13mm
Old 29-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, I'll check it out
Old 30-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #9
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazFX View Post
I DIYed it, best guide is probably the one on fordxr4.com

* You will need a 21mm Crows Foot not 13mm
By the way, is that meant to be 12mm not 21mm?
Old 30-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
dazFX
Starter Motor

The cam gear bolts are definitely 21mm. I'd recommend the cosworth friction washer for extra insurance these slip between the cam gear and camshaft. I never actually bought them but will probably get them in the near future.

You definitely need the proper timing tools you can get them on ebay for like $30-$40.
Old 30-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazFX View Post
The cam gear bolts are definitely 21mm. I'd recommend the cosworth friction washer for extra insurance these slip between the cam gear and camshaft. I never actually bought them but will probably get them in the near future.

You definitely need the proper timing tools you can get them on ebay for like $30-$40.
Thanks. I was just double checking because I was surprised that the guide on the XR4 forums was so far off (13mm instead of 21mm - big difference).

Thanks for the tip on the friction washers also.