Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default A nice little intake mod AU. + horsepower

I have a au series 3 4.0L i6 auto.

It has the following mods, 2.5 inch cat back exhaust and panel filter, plus xr6t snorkel. I also have an air deflector fitted behind grill.

Anyhow under WOT I noticed the car would change up at just before 5000rpm, to me it felt like it was a little too soon. Surely I was giving up a few kW up top.

So I did this mod as a test.

1. Replaced the pipe from airbox to rest of intake with a straight piece of 3inch aluminium pipe. Removed fitting from airbox lid to get it in.

2. Flicked the panel filter and Grabbed a 45 degrees 3 inch pipe and fitted up a 3 inch pod filter inside the stock airbox. Used a 3 inch piece of silicone hose to join the two pipes.

RESULT:

There is a noticeable difference in off the line, mid range and top end power. It now is happy to rev out to 5200-5300rpm before changing up and feels more powerful in doing so. There is a little bit more induction noise from the pod but it's enclosed in the stock airbox. Great mod... Under $100 all parts.

The stock intake pipe that I removed closes up to about 2 inches at the point of the airbox, it must be restricting the power. There is probably going to be a fuel economy advantage as well.

To compliment this mod, I'd grab a xr6t snorkel and also the air deflector you can make yourself with a bit of aluminium sheet.

If your AU is changing up before 5000rpm @WOT try this intake mod and enjoy the benefits.

HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Default Re: A nice little intake mod AU. + horsepower

Nice one Hulk, where did you get the new alloy pipe from? Any pics?

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
Nice one Hulk, where did you get the new alloy pipe from? Any pics?
$29 from autobarn. Silicone hose was $11, 45degree pipe $19, 2 extra hose clamps. I had a 3A racing 3 inch pod in the garage.

Definite power increase
Old 19-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Anyhow under WOT I noticed the car would change up at just before 5000rpm, to me it felt like it was a little too soon. Surely I was giving up a few kW up top.
Hulk, just to let you and others know, shift points for your trans have nothing to do with the power the engine is making. In the tune, shift points are a function defined by throttle percentage vs tailshaft rpm.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
$29 from autobarn. Silicone hose was $11, 45degree pipe $19, 2 extra hose clamps. I had a 3A racing 3 inch pod in the garage.

Definite power increase
Years ago on our AU XR6, we did a dyno comparison between no filter, stock airbox and 3" pod, and the pod only increased power by 1rwkw over stock airbox. No filter was the same result as the pod. That's it.....

I doubt therefore that peak power has changed, but it is likely that more air is being sucked into the engine at high rpm with the restriction removed.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #6
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Hulk, just to let you and others know, shift points for your trans have nothing to do with the power the engine is making. In the tune, shift points are a function defined by throttle percentage vs tailshaft rpm.

Cheers
Stu
Well it's added a few extra hundred rpm at the top.. Possibly just revving out quicker with the better breathing.

I've tested it plenty times, it's definitely true.
Old 20-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #7
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Years ago on our AU XR6, we did a dyno comparison between no filter, stock airbox and 3" pod, and the pod only increased power by 1rwkw over stock airbox. No filter was the same result as the pod. That's it.....

I doubt therefore that peak power has changed, but it is likely that more air is being sucked into the engine at high rpm with the restriction removed.
Well in my example I also changed the pipe from airbox to rest of intake as well as a pod, the stock pipe it's about 2 inches at one point, I changed it to a 3 inch pipe right through eliminating this restriction. Maybe it's not the pod adding the power... It's the pipe. Did your test include the pipe?

It's definitely feeling more powerful, car just pulls harder everywhere. I'd be happy if I'd done a full exhaust and it made such a change as it's done.