Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
roushfenway

Default Ford brings new Ranger to the mining industry

http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/ne...e0c41-59001245

Ford is attempting to stake a claim in the Australian mining industry with a debut at the Mining and Engineering Expo in Western Australia next week.

From May 6-8 Ford will be debut the new Ranger 4x4 XL, with a range of features that could prove to be attractive to the safety-oriented mining culture.

Ford has said that the Ranger 4x4 XL has been “designed to suit the needs of mining industries across Australia”, developed to fulfil customer demand for a light commercial vehicle that has added functionality in harsh work environments.

With the new Ford Ranger fulfilling 5-star ANCAP safety rating requirements for new vehicle purchases by large fleet companies, there are a range of factory features fitted to the donor XL model to better meet the needs of mining customers, and is designed to make the installation of commercial equipment simpler and more integrated for efficient transition from delivery to operation.

The Ranger 4x4 XL Plus has a range of tailored features including 17-inch Steel Wheels with All Terrain Tyres for challenging terrain.

Heavy duty canvas seat covers come standard to protect seats from mud and dirt while ensuring the seat mounted thorax airbags remain unobstructed.

The provision of an expanded wiring harness includes additional pre-wired electrical circuits and an auxiliary switch bezel, which facilitates the easy installation of electrical equipment such as light bars, driving lights and radios.

The Ranger also comes with a second, 80 amp hour deep cycle battery with battery isolator, to provide power for auxiliary equipment while ensuring the main battery is not depleted.

The Ranger’s steel bull bar also incorporates mountings designed specifically for driving lights, antennas and flags.

The Ranger 4x4 XL has a 3.2 litre turbo diesel engine and automatic transmission, locking rear diff and 3.5 tonne towbar, with prices ranging from $46,280 to $52,760.

roushfenway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Ford brings new Ranger to the mining industry

They can't even supply private customers with their orders in reasonable time let alone mines.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Big Damo orders are starting to square up now. Even on Wildtraks.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, even Wildtraks can be delivered in 3 months now!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Big Damo orders are starting to square up now. Even on Wildtraks.
Its only taken about 2 years.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

and fleets will always get priority over individuals
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably see more new Rangers than you see New hilux's in Mudgee. Not just mine contractors, but private owners too.

In the Hunter Valley you see quite a few Rangers done up in mine style decals, as well as other companies using them on the highway, but the mines themselves seam to own very few.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was sitting at the lights next a ranger a few weeks ago, I didn't see what the model was, but it did seem to be an upper class model........ bloody thing had good acceleration...... I mean really good acceleration for a big vehicle, very impressive indeed.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
.....but the mines themselves seam to own very few.
It's not just the vehicle the miners are looking at, it's the after sales back up as we'll, this is something that Toyota have been very very good at since they started using the 40 series way back when........

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Auto is something different. Rarely come across them, occasionally jump into an auto prado but that's about it.

Not sure if the 'mine pack' is going to make much difference to be honest. Every one that is bought is going to be kitted up on the way to site anyway so it's not really saving that much.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
monte.b

It will never replace the toyoto landcruiser at mine sites ,it will fall to bits like the nissan patrol
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

where i am we are replacing the hiluxes with d-maxes. i think they ordered them before the mine spec ranger was announced and they got a pretty good deal on the isuzu.
in saying that, my boss has ordered a wildtrak. be good to see it parked on the mine site every day
Old 04-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #13
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b View Post
It will never replace the toyoto landcruiser at mine sites ,it will fall to bits like the nissan patrol
Probably not but it will make a dent for sure in the sales!
The Ranger is the new boy on the block and its sales are increasing, time will tell if it is successful.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Probably not but it will make a dent for sure in the sales!
The Ranger is the new boy on the block and its sales are increasing, time will tell if it is successful.
they've been selling consistently around the 2000 (combined 4x4 and 4x2) recently which I believe is about what gets imported every month.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

It was mentioned in the Herald Sun Car Guide section the Ranger is now out selling the Hilux, interesting if true.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Not according to the figures in the April sales thread.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #17
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Not according to the figures in the April sales thread.
Depends which media is reporting accurately but nonetheless the Rangers sales is increasing & Hilux is decreasing (fact)

TOYOTA HiLux 2572 — down 12.2 per cent
FORD Ranger 2094 — up 24.2 per cent

Interesting figures & certainly a good sign for Ford.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #18
wranger

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...83436_20140502

Ranger outsold the Hilux 3500 to 2600 in government fleet sales last year.

Doesn't say anything about private sales but I reckon the Ford will have just about caught up there too.
wranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Not sure if the 'mine pack' is going to make much difference to be honest. Every one that is bought is going to be kitted up on the way to site anyway so it's not really saving that much.
Perhaps they're pitching it as a replacement for the 70 Series as well as the Hilux? And with the 70 Series they have to add ROPS which they don't for the Ranger.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #20
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Factory setup also means it retains 5 star.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #21
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

gotta be better than the crappy Hiluxs haha, most clapped out buckets ever they are, all our site has Hilux Dual Cabs and modified V8 turbo Diesel Troopies
Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #22
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

weve been trialing an auto and a manual ranger for 18months to 2 years now I think weve had them, sticking with hiluxes, they have been nothing but trouble the pair of them, always got engine and trans lights on, stuck in limp mode, constant flat batteries, aircons always dying, they've spent close to 25% of there life in the dealer, true they go well, more room, heaps better on fuel and no roll bars to squeeze past but economically they aren't working on our site and have told ford we wont buy any more
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #23
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleXR8 View Post
weve been trialing an auto and a manual ranger for 18months to 2 years now I think weve had them, sticking with hiluxes, they have been nothing but trouble the pair of them, always got engine and trans lights on, stuck in limp mode, constant flat batteries, aircons always dying, they've spent close to 25% of there life in the dealer, true they go well, more room, heaps better on fuel and no roll bars to squeeze past but economically they aren't working on our site and have told ford we wont buy any more
Oh well shame about the duds you have (always a few) but I'm quite sure there are thousands more like mine that are performing quite well.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:01 AM   #24
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on the black stuff and a bit of dirt they are fine, my boss even bought one after having the work ones for a month, our car parks and contractors see plenty rolling in the gates everyday, they just aren't holding up to 24/7 mine life, physically only the factory rear leafs collapsed with under 5,000km on them and aircons always playing is all weve had, but electronically they are never ending problems, they are constantly driving over mine haul roads being chewed up by 400 ton trucks, heaps of lumps, bumps and plenty of salt water and mud but the hiluxes handle it better than the rangers, only trouble from hilux is abs warning lights come on when the wheel sensor gets clogged up with mud or salt, 10 mins in the LV workshop they are hosed out and back off and racing again
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
on the black stuff and a bit of dirt they are fine, my boss even bought one after having the work ones for a month, our car parks and contractors see plenty rolling in the gates everyday, they just aren't holding up to 24/7 mine life, physically only the factory rear leafs collapsed with under 5,000km on them and aircons always playing is all weve had, but electronically they are never ending problems, they are constantly driving over mine haul roads being chewed up by 400 ton trucks, heaps of lumps, bumps and plenty of salt water and mud but the hiluxes handle it better than the rangers, only trouble from hilux is abs warning lights come on when the wheel sensor gets clogged up with mud or salt, 10 mins in the LV workshop they are hosed out and back off and racing again
That is something I like about Toyota, they seem to go the extra mile building the whole car to last without problems, and this is due to the code they build their vehicles too, quality brings back repeat customers.
Even if at times they are a bit bland its easy to see why they are very popular.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #26
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sounds like the early problems with are mostly solved or have solutions

Eg electrical is common, have smart charge turned off and its no longer an issue (and the mine spec has this as default)

Leafs - would have though most mine site vehicles would have HD leafs added for the typical loads.

Hilux has the advantage of being a mature product that people are used to working on and have solutions for the little issues.

Only problems iv had on mine was the cooling hose recall and transfer case leak.

I drive it hard off road and would be a fair chunk of my 35000km.

Last edited by mac_man_luke; 06-05-2014 at 03:51 PM.
mac_man_luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #27
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
That is something I like about Toyota, they seem to go the extra mile building the whole car to last without problems, and this is due to the code they build their vehicles too, quality brings back repeat customers.
Even if at times they are a bit bland its easy to see why they are very popular.
I know what your trying to say, but what brand is it over the last few years that has had recall after recall after recall on various models across the globe, including it golden child 4x4 pickup, and had admitted it had cut corners to save money on product development?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #28
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Everyone suffers recalls at some stage...if anything, its a sign of post sales diligence...

Looks what happens when you ignore problems...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #29
1TUFFUTE
Banned

its amazing there are any problems when you watch what they put the test cars thru....unbelievable torture. but like has been said before....ranger meets safety requirements.....hilux doesn't. Ranger is half the price of the landcruisers too. they wouldn't be selling so many if they were dud at every site now would they
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #30
Ringo
I see you....

I work in fleet and have given up on getting Rangers.
I always want auto which is part of the problem, but not all the problem
Getting sick of Ford reps telling me the supply problem is fixed...because it is not.
So many fleet clients have now switched from Ranger because they just can't get them.
I have not quoted one for over 3 months now.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post