Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Ecosport takes 40,000 Indian orders in 17 days, Dealers overwhelmed, 9 months wait

Quote:
A new sensation, Ford's EcoSport, another entry-level SUV, debuted on the Indian roads.
Snazzier, priced aggressively (read lower than Duster), and packed with a load of features, EcoSport became the talk of the town.

"We had anticipated good numbers. But we were surprised by the speed with which the [booking] orders came in,"
says Vinay Piparsania, executive director (marketing), Ford Motors India.

Ford got 40,000 bookings in a record 17 days. The compact SUV today enjoys a waiting period of up to nine months.
Overwhelmed, dealers have stopped taking bookings, and say that they will resume around April next year.

Since it entered India in 1996, Ford has struggled to get a grip on Indian roads. Despite occasional and fleeting successes
like the Ford Ikon and Figo, its India journey remained lacklustre. The launch of just one model, the EcoSport, has created
a buzz around the brand and a reversal in fortunes of sorts. The compact SUV now contributes over 55% of Ford's total
sales in India.
Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst

Last edited by jpd80; 03-12-2013 at 12:23 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Ecosport takes 40,000 Indian orders in 17 days, Dealers overwhelmed, 9 months wai

Now that's great news! 9 month wait!

Wonder what they RRP is in India compared to here? Either way, they certainly are 'moving up' in the ranks if they have put down that many orders!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ecosport takes 40,000 Indian orders in 17 days, Dealers overwhelmed, 9 months wai

Wonder what that means for us, supply hasn't been our strong suit...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Indians also love the Tata Nano, so their endorsement of the Ecosport is underwhelming
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #5
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Indians also love the Tata Nano, so their endorsement of the Ecosport is underwhelming
The Nano flopped pretty hard, it turns out that the majority of Indians didn't want to own a car marketed as the cheapest in the world.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
1TUFFUTE
Banned

That's really cool news....I actually think they're a great car....not for me tho
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
stevz
Banned

I guess there will be a lot of camels being traded in.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford India, has 10 models, we only have 3. We don't get the diesels.
http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosport/models
Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Ford India, has 10 models, we only have 3. We don't get the diesels.
http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosport/models
The pic on the home page looks really out of proportion!

So, based on that site's listed prices they start at $10,250 and go all the way to $16,500. I guess they will also have some sort of delivery fee / on road costs.

With so many orders I think they under priced them.

They get the diesel! That's one thing I wish we had, more options for smaller diesel engines from the mainstream brands.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yellow Festiva ..no..we are subsiding them !!!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Well...that just shows how little our own industry is...I doubt if even Holden would reach those amount of sales with 3 ranges and exports over a year :(

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Well...that just shows how little our own industry is...I doubt if even Holden would reach those amount of sales with 3 ranges and exports over a year :(
They probably would if Australia had 1.3 billion people in it.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #13
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The Nano flopped pretty hard, it turns out that the majority of Indians didn't want to own a car marketed as the cheapest in the world.
No, it turns out the majority of Indians can’t afford a pot to **** in, much less a new car. But you’re right in so much as the market for new cars in Indian is the domain of the comparatively wealthy, and they would not be caught dead in a Nano.

It’s all relative I suppose. If the Falcon had been getting Nano numbers, Ford wouldn’t be pulling out.

But it still remains to be seen whether those “40,000” Ecosport orders translate into actual sales and whether that represents a month or a year’s worth.

Besides, in a country where an 8-lane freeway is 12ft wide and moves at 3kph, the Ecosport is probably just the ticket for the newly affluent (or their preppy kids.) Still not exactly a ringing endorsement.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

The Indian car market has about as much in common with the Australian Market as our top music charts (google it, see if you know 1 name, unless you'r Indian). All it means to me is Ford is making some money in Asia, which may or may not be a good thing for Australia.

Hers
BFII Ghia

Last edited by GQ_Smooth; 04-12-2013 at 08:43 AM.
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
No, it turns out the majority of Indians can’t afford a pot to **** in, much less a new car. But you’re right in so much as the market for new cars in Indian is the domain of the comparatively wealthy, and they would not be caught dead in a Nano.

But it still remains to be seen whether those “40,000” Ecosport orders translate into actual sales and whether that represents a month or a year’s worth.

Besides, in a country where an 8-lane freeway is 12ft wide and moves at 3kph, the Ecosport is probably just the ticket for the newly affluent (or their preppy kids.) Still not exactly a ringing endorsement.
India is a very different market to what westerners understand in sooo many ways. The Nano was created as an alternative to get families onto 4 wheels. It was not meant to compete with 'cars', rather bikes and tuk tuks, which is what lower castes were able to afford.

When I was in India I was very interested in the Nano. I didn't see many of them around, and when I questioned an Indian guy about it he explained how there is a lot of emphasis on status and your rank in the community.

Seeing as the Nano was so cheap, and a replacement for a 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle it was still considered as such to many Indians. Also, it's highly publicised cheapness was actually a problem, with people still opting to buy a near new used 'car' rather than the Nano..... Money has a little to do with it, more to do with 'saving face'.

I also learnt something else that was interesting when I had a closer look at the Nano. The rear does not open at all. The hatch area is sealed shut - another cost saving measure!

Oh, and do those 40,000 orders represent dealer purchases or actual real customer orders???

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 04-12-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
psychoticgroove
SRT

Quote:

It’s all relative I suppose. If the Falcon had been getting Nano numbers, Ford wouldn’t be pulling out.

Just got back from India after a 3 week family visit, was mostly in New Delhi. In the limited time I was on the roads, I saw, 4 Ferrari Californias, 3 x Lamborghini Gallardos, I x Murcielago, 1 x Audi R8 (scratched to *****), 6 x Bentley Continental GTs and 2 x Rolls Royce Phantoms. All stuck in bumper to bumper traffic! Audi Q7s and BMW 7 series were dime a dozen, as common as Falcodores here in Oz.
Ford Ecosports could be seen everywhere, the new darling for the people looking at just above the entry level market.

His- 2014 Jeep GC SRT
Her- 2012 Territory TS TDCI
psychoticgroove is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Word is we will soon be getting our Ecosports from Thailand as they will be making them there. Which also means we will also more than likely be getting powershift versions of the 1 litre ecoboost.

FTA means they might be a little cheaper too, or at least have a little more equipment.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
India is a very different market to what westerners understand in sooo many ways. The Nano was created as an alternative to get families onto 4 wheels. It was not meant to compete with 'cars', rather bikes and tuk tuks, which is what lower castes were able to afford.
Why people comment on concepts they really don't understand?! Do you know what a Caste is? The poorest people in India belong to what "western society" claims to be the "highest caste". The Brahmins are the poorest population in India. But don't let the facts come in the way of post.

Quote:
When I was in India I was very interested in the Nano. I didn't see many of them around, and when I questioned an Indian guy about it he explained how there is a lot of emphasis on status and your rank in the community.

Seeing as the Nano was so cheap, and a replacement for a 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle it was still considered as such to many Indians. Also, it's highly publicised cheapness was actually a problem, with people still opting to buy a near new used 'car' rather than the Nano..... Money has a little to do with it, more to do with 'saving face'
Its not just in India. Same reason people in Australia now buy Euro cars over Australian made cars (they are perceived as cheaper and inferior). How many times have you heard that people wont buy a falcon/commodore cause they don't want to be seen as a "Bogan".

There is so much money in India these days I cannot see why they wont fulfil these orders. Back in 1995, they had a lottery for the Maruti Esteem (Suzuki Swift 1.3L) wherein you placed a deposit and you had to wait several months to know when/if you were going to get the car. All orders were eventually fulfilled but it was luck of the draw as to when. There are more millionaires in that country that we have people here so lets not keep questioning their capacity to fulfil their side of the bargain when payment is due.

Last edited by kypez; 11-12-2013 at 04:13 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
The pic on the home page looks really out of proportion!

So, based on that site's listed prices they start at $10,250 and go all the way to $16,500. I guess they will also have some sort of delivery fee / on road costs.

With so many orders I think they under priced them.

They get the diesel! That's one thing I wish we had, more options for smaller diesel engines from the mainstream brands.
They have lifetime rego cost that does add quite a bit to the price. Also, each state has their own taxes as well which is why the raw price might seem a little on the cheap side (if you look on the website, it says ex-showroom Delhi which is usually one of the cheaper cities and Ex Showroom being without dealer delivery, rego, etc, just as we have). Bit like what dealers used to do before the govt introduced the need for "drive away" pricing to include all hidden cost.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Why people comment on concepts they really don't understand?! Do you know what a Caste is? The poorest people in India belong to what "western society" claims to be the "highest caste". The Brahmins are the poorest population in India. But don't let the facts come in the way of post.

It seems I must have it wrong. Can you please explain those corrections further?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #21
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
It seems I must have it wrong. Can you please explain those corrections further?
Happy to do so offline mate. Might get in trouble with the mods discussing this further.

Also, sorry if I sounded like I was having a go at you. I wasn't. Tone is lost over the internet. Its just a little annoying when you hear the same silly remarks (again, not directing this at you personally) such as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
I guess there will be a lot of camels being traded in.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I see Ford will only bring the Titanium model into Australia until early next year, when the cheaper Ambiente and Trend will be added. Typical, they have already stuffed up the launch of this VERY important model.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #23
xr6turboford

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I see Ford will only bring the Titanium model into Australia until early next year, when the cheaper Ambiente and Trend will be added. Typical, they have already stuffed up the launch of this VERY important model.
Try taking one for a test drive, even better go have a look at one I did the other day all I can say is well done Ford for releasing a car then having 0 that's right 0 in the country to look at or test drive until next year. No wonder people buy other brands when this type of sh.. happens.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #24
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

29 Listed for sale across Aus on carsales.com.au, a mix of Trend, Ambiente and Titanium.

Granted that's not a lot at all and Ford Au should have a shedload more here for it's Dec launch but presumably, you could get a test drive somewhere?
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #25
xr6turboford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
29 Listed for sale across Aus on carsales.com.au, a mix of Trend, Ambiente and Titanium.

Granted that's not a lot at all and Ford Au should have a shedload more here for it's Dec launch but presumably, you could get a test drive somewhere?
Cheers I should've know better and looked on the net. I was on holidays on the Gold Coast and had to take the daughters Focus in to get the auto checked out as it as a vibration on take off and asked to take one for test drive and was told that there's none in the country. Tippical salesman if I can sell one no one can.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

My dealer has one. Not sure of spec.
Old 13-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #27
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford View Post
Cheers I should've know better and looked on the net. I was on holidays on the Gold Coast and had to take the daughters Focus in to get the auto checked out as it as a vibration on take off and asked to take one for test drive and was told that there's none in the country. Tippical salesman if I can sell one no one can.
No worries mate.

That's exactly the sort of salesman Ford don't need. He possibly knew you weren't going to buy from him so couldn't be bothered, correct attitude would have been to work out where your from and try and tie you up with a test drive at a dealer close to you.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #28
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford again wonders why their cars don't sell!! 29 models across Australia is not even one for every dealer !! People will go elsewhere. If you are going to launch a car, you have a good supply of all models not a few of one. People these days won't wait..
Only Titanium know..the most expensive, will put some people off. Ambiente and Trend in February. Those two should be know and Titanium in February..Get the most models likely to sell out first!!!!!
Old 13-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Ford again wonders why their cars don't sell!! 29 models across Australia is not even one for every dealer !! People will go elsewhere. If you are going to launch a car, you have a good supply of all models not a few of one. People these days won't wait..
Only Titanium know..the most expensive, will put some people off. Ambiente and Trend in February. Those two should be know and Titanium in February..Get the most models likely to sell out first!!!!!
You better go get a job with Ford Logistics, show em how its done then eh?

Folk are always quick to shoot Ford down, there is probably a reason behind it. Im sure the people building one online will be the first to complain
Old 13-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #30
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DJM its not a new problem with FORD logistics, Fiesta, Focus ,Mondeo, Ranger even Falcon and Territory have unacceptable delivery times. Something FORD should have fixed, years ago..
I don't know how BMW did it, but my daughter got her BMW, built to her specifications and delivered in two weeks. I expected 3 months....
Not knocking Ford, but FORD want sales to improve..have stock..!!!!