Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Exclamation VFacts November 2013

Prelim commentary from Drivel and numbers from Dowlstick

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...202-2yllp.html

Quote:
The Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon led a sales bounce by Australian-made cars in November to give the struggling industry some rare good news as it presents to the Productivity Commission about ongoing financial and regulatory assistance.

The Falcon and its Territory SUV offshoot experienced their best sales for 2013, according to still secret sales figures obtained by Fairfax Media, while Holden’s VF Commodore continued its strong showing on the back of the major model update and associated marketing push.

The figures will no doubt be a relief to Ford Australia president Bob Graziano, who last week reaffirmed his commitment to local production until October 2016, which is the date the company said it would shut the doors of its Broadmeadows manufacturing line after almost a century of vehicle production.

“Our intent is to continue manufacturing in Australia until October 2016, which should allow the industry to transition at that point,” he told Drive last week.

“That still remains the intent and we’ll continue to move that way. We’ve got the refreshment coming up next year for both Falcon and Territory and we’re progressing with that work as well.”

Production capacity at Ford’s Broadmeadows factory has fallen to 148 vehicles per day – a 30 per cent reduction on last year’s manufacturing figures.

Asked whether he expects a ramping up of production to coincide with the updated Falcon and Territory models, Graziano said: “again it will be dependent on the demand from the marketplace”.

With about 3100 sales the Commodore, a long time former top seller, still managed only the fifth best-selling position behind a trio of small cars – the Toyota Corolla (3890), Mazda3 (3670) and Hyundai i30 (3160) - and the ever-popular Toyota Hilux ute (3370).

Once again, if Hyundai’s Elantra sedan shared its badge with the hatchback version of the same car – the i30 – the duo would be comfortably the best sellers for the month, with more than 4000 sales.

The relatively strong showing by the Falcon and Commodore – their sales are still a fraction of the lofty figures they achieved a decade or so ago – helped give Australian-made cars a comparatively healthy 12.6 per cent market share, the strongest for the year so far and well ahead of the 8.0 per cent low recorded in January.

Those sales are also certain to ensure locally-produced cars don’t drop below 10 per cent share for the first time, something that was on the cards prior to the November sales figures.

Despite industry predictions of a sales bounce following the failed Labor government bid to abolish favourable tax breaks on company vehicles, the new-car market slid further, with about 95,000 sales in November, compared with 98,347 for 2012.

But the 3 per cent drop hasn’t slowed the market from rocketing to another record sales year; in 2012 there were 1.11 million new vehicles sold and the 2013 sales volume is on target for about 1.13 million.

Mazda’s CX-5 was again the best selling SUV in November, with about 1700 sales, ahead of rivals such as the Toyota RAV4 (1560) Subaru Forester (1520), and Hyundai ix35 (1450)

Another strong performer includes the Mitsubishi Triton, which slipped into the top 10 seller list (1700 sales) courtesy of a strong marketing campaign.
Following concerns about quality Volkswagen also experienced a sales boost, with sales for the month up 32 per cent.

VW’s sales were bolstered by a strong showing from the new Golf, which preliminary figures show was the seventh best-selling vehicle for the month, with almost 2100 sales.
Top sellers: Corolla (3895), Mazda3 (3665), HiLux (3365), Hyundai i30 (3160), Commodore (3100), Camry (2375), Ranger (2015), VW Golf (2070)

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VFacts November 2013

Just imagine how many more Falcons they could sell if dealers actually had some in stock!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And were eager to sell them!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
stevz
Banned

The top three cars (excluding Hilux) are vomit inducing rubbish. Incredibly sad that Australian buyers tastes have fallen to such terrible lows. A lot of fleet managers out there need a baseball bat to the head too.
Despite all the hype and carry-on about SUV's being the hottest thing out there, the actual figures don't really set the world on fire. A little exaggeration here I think.
Does anyone have Falcon and Territory numbers? Typical stupid media makes several references to Falcon/Territory sales yet they can't even provide the numbers.

Last edited by stevz; 02-12-2013 at 10:00 PM.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
The top three cars (excluding Hilux) are vomit inducing rubbish. Incredibly sad that Australian buyers tastes have fallen to such terrible lows. A lot of fleet managers out there need a baseball bat to the head too.
Despite all the hype and carry-on about SUV's being the hottest thing out there, the actual figures don't really set the world on fire. A little exaggeration here I think.
Does anyone have Falcon and Territory numbers? Typical stupid media makes several references to Falcon/Territory sales yet they can't even provide the numbers.
odd.... normally there bad mouthing Falcon/Territory numbers
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Oops, I nearly posted old figures....... time for new glasses....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Oops time for new glasses.....
Amazing the difference between BT50 and Ranger! Same car, similar specs, 1 cheaper than the other! Proves that a good looks and marketing can override the actual sale price when crunch time comes. With fairly limited supply, even though it is way better than it has been in the past, it is doing well ...... as it should.

Just hope Falcon can make it all the way through to the end and continues selling OK! Broken record I know but wish it would be shown some respect from FoA.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Noticed : "Holden marketing push" in Drive article. Wakey wakey Ford marketing Dept!!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd love too see a new Falcon ad on TV..... I forget the last time I seen one on TV.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Ranger doing well, would like to see Focus do better.
Mazda killing it with the 3, be interesting to see the figures when the new 3 is out. Good on them anyway, the 3 is a good car.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Car buyers will purchase cars based on whats best for them no more, no less. If that means you dont agree with their choice then so be it.
SUVs are BIG business, they are purchased hand over fist by PRIVATE buyers who dont need a 50% discount to get the ball rolling.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #12
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Yeah where's the falcon n terri sales?
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 18 View Post
Just imagine how many more Falcons they could sell if dealers actually had some in stock!
Just imagine how many falcons they would sell if half the people on this forums actually followed their passion and bought a NEW Falcon!!!
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Car buyers will purchase cars based on whats best for them no more, no less. If that means you dont agree with their choice then so be it.
SUVs are BIG business, they are purchased hand over fist by PRIVATE buyers who dont need a 50% discount to get the ball rolling.
Exactly, they purchase what THEY want and like, not what some moron on an internet thinks looks good and guess what, they do it with THEIR money. Plain and simple, if they want a Falcon or Territory they will buy one if the want a Mazda 3 they will buy it and so on and so forth.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #15
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Exactly, they purchase what THEY want and like, not what some moron on an internet thinks looks good and guess what, they do it with THEIR money. Plain and simple, if they want a Falcon or Territory they will buy one if the want a Mazda 3 they will buy it and so on and so forth.
Amen brother, did you read that Stevz ?
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
Struggo

When I picked up my car last Friday it was of three Falcons leaving the showroom that afternoon.

2 x G6ET
1 x G6E
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Which makes it even harder to believe that people are willing to throw away hard earned money on something mediocre like a Mazda 3.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

*Sigh.*

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Which makes it even harder to believe that people are willing to throw away hard earned money on something mediocre like a Mazda 3.
In what way is the 3 mediocre Mr Motoring Journalist?
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
stevz
Banned

Quote:
In what way is the 3 mediocre Mr Motoring Journalist?
I would have thought that was quite obvious Mr. Keyboard expert.

1. Its a gutless fwd buzzbox.
2. It has ridiculous looking, vomit inducing styling both inside and out.
3. It has enough road noise to warrant a pair of ear muffs.
4. Fuel economy is average, exaggerated, and defeats the purpose of a small car.
5. Did I mention it looks dreadful?
6. It is bought in droves by brain dead Toyota type drivers who sit on 85 in the right lane of the freeway and couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dogs......
Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford have been very proactive with moving local product. They have the friends program, supplier's program. They and their dealers are trying their best at a face to face level to make it hard for customers to say no. Its a great time to buy local. Let's get around it cause they are great cars.
On Friday and Saturday night, I drove a BMW 330i Convertible cause of the weather and on Sunday I swapped it for a SZ Territory titanium petrol. The ride quality of the territory just brilliant in comparison
Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:

4. Did I mention it looks dreadful?
5. It is bought in droves by brain dead Toyota type drivers who sit on 85 in the right lane of the freeway and couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dogs......
You make your thoughts known every month on this subject. We have heard your thoughts ok, no need to go down the same path month after month..........
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #23
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

4. Fuel economy is average, exaggerated, and defeats the purpose of a small car.
6. It is bought in droves by brain dead Toyota type drivers who sit on 85 in the right lane of the freeway and couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dogs......
I really don't like where you're going with this Stevz but there is some truth in what you're saying here.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
I really don't like where you're going with this Stevz but there is some truth in what you're saying here.
Your kidding aren't you ?
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

1. Its a gutless fwd buzzbox. Hardly
2. It has ridiculous looking, vomit inducing styling both inside and out. Looks are subjective
3. It has enough road noise to warrant a pair of ear muffs. Subjective
4. Fuel economy is average, exaggerated, and defeats the purpose of a small car. Bad maybe but not disastrous
5. Did I mention it looks dreadful? Posting this again gives you no credability
6. It is bought in droves by brain dead Toyota type drivers who sit on 85 in the right lane of the freeway and couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dogs...... Generalisation
Posting that it looks bad twice means you really struggle for a reason. At least these people vote with their wallets.

In all honesty, i couldnt care how many Mazda 3's are sold or any other hatch SUV etc. But its clear you do.
- Antz Turboside Intake

Last edited by DJM83; 03-12-2013 at 10:56 AM.
6 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #26
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Your kidding aren't you ?
Don't bother...
Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

VF Commodore isn't selling as well as required.
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Posting this again gives you no creditability
What is creditability? Is that some sort of criteria that the bank uses to assess credit applications?

Lol, and after you edited the post you still can't spell it right

Last edited by stevz; 03-12-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #29
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Of course there is truth in it, except some people put their fingers in their ears and sing la la la and don't want to hear it.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #30
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:

Look, I will agree on the Mazda bashing (couldn't pay me enough to have one), however it looks more than likely I'll be leaving the neanderthal way of thinking RWD is the ONLY way a vehicle should drive.