Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default Your favourite car for a road trip?

I have access to a few cars, all of which have their pro and cons when it comes to a road trip. Which would you take on a road trip? Also what's your favourite car for a road trip?

1. FG F6, crazy fast, but good cruiser as well, plenty of space, makes for a relaxed comfortable drive, decent fuel economy etc. Bit worried about stone chips and damage from driving extended distance. As well as putting unnecessary km on it. Can't really use its pace on the highway either. Could damage wheels, wear to brembos etc. also not so friendly in wet weather.

2. A 2013 Mitsubishi outlander, brand new car, more space than f6 for luggage or to store our gear. Adequate power for cruising at 110km/h. Very quiet comfortable cruiser that will make for a relaxed drive. Car is awd so better safety if it gets wet. Downside is probably be a boring drive. Fall asleep easy.

3. 2004 Ba i6 xr6. Car has sports system, intake and tuned. Pretty comfortable car, just as spacious as the f6, car has options such as premo sound and climate control. Plenty of power and more than enough for the highway. Downside is exhaust has a bit of a hum to it.

4. A 2000 vt commodore v6 (stock) Yes I know its a few generations old but every road trip I've done I've always enjoyed the more coarse car to drive, noisier, less sophisticated, less likely to get sleepy on a trip. Adequate power, good fuel economy. Driving at 100km/h in it feels much faster than it is. Don't care for stone chips and parking it. Due to age of car more prone to mechanical problems but car is in tip top condition. Not as safe as the other cars.

Which would you take for a road trip? What is your favourite ever road trip car?

HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Your favourite car for a road trip?

Depends where you're going. I take a 4x4 everywhere now. Gets me so many places away from the tourists.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Powder blue 59 Cadillac
Old 13-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

My XR is my favourite.
Between the cruise control, full trip computer, leather wrap wheel, bolstered seats & low consumption I achieve on highway drives puts it miles ahead of my mothers AU2 Forte.

I've recently had to move between the AU & a 91 Laser livewire(LOL) while my clutch is getting replaced and while the AU feels a generation newer and the comparisons between the suspension set ups is amazing!

The creature comforts of the EL win out by far on a long trip.
The EL uses noticably less fuel as well.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mark IV Lincoln Continental with the 460 cu.in. engine. Worked on the odd one and a beautiful thing to drive on the open road.
Only trouble these days is finding an accessible car parking space. Spaces are designed for rice rockets.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Spurious

ummm, "my car"!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go the bigger, more powerful cars for highway driving, and I do every day!
I drive my EL down to the train station and back again via the Sturt Hwy here and the big car just cruises nicely. Plenty of power to overtake when needed too.

I took it over to Bathurst this year as well. A 16 year old car with 317k on the clock and it performed flawlessly. No complaints after sitting in it for over 13 hours on the drive over. It runs LPG so it cost bugger all to run too.

My car also has a sports exhaust system, but as they cruise at low revs on the open road, you don't hear the exhaust over the road and wind noise. If you do hear it, then your music isn't turned up loud enough

I'd take either the BA or the F6 in your scenario, or even the Commodore if it's mechanically reliable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 13-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
zilo
BANNED

I like the Merc Vito van, never seems to get full no matter how much gear I stuff into it.

Turbo diesel 800k to a tank and heaps of torque, RWD.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many years ago I had a Fiat 124 pinnafarina convertible taking that through the mountains of NZ south island middle of winter, roof folded away, windows up, heater on I'll never forget that trip or was it the half dressed bird beside me
Old 13-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

I travel a lot for work over the weekends, anywhere from 100km - 600km (Adelaide - Loxton, Mt Gambier ect..). I use my Territory Ghia and it's sensational, you don't need F6 power for the open road, the Territory has all the power that's needed. You rarely overtake anyway unless you've got a heap of space and overtaking lanes are everywhere now.

Sometime we take one of my Uncles cars who owns a caryard and last weekend we went to Mildura in an Outlander. It was such a fantastic vehicle, I didn't like sitting lower than my Territory and it wasn't as roomy but I'd take it over my 300C or a Subaru Outback.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Took a Territory to Perth (from Melbourne) and back, four guys and all the luggage.
Worked a treat.
I wouldn't have taken any other type of car, a sedan would have been too small.
Other cars in the running were a Tarago style people mover.

Road trips of late with just the missus and I, the Focus works fine, comfortable and easy to drive around.
Old 13-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
I have access to a few cars, all of which have their pro and cons when it comes to a road trip. Which would you take on a road trip? Also what's your favourite car for a road trip?

1. FG F6, crazy fast, but good cruiser as well, plenty of space, makes for a relaxed comfortable drive, decent fuel economy etc. Bit worried about stone chips and damage from driving extended distance. As well as putting unnecessary km on it. Can't really use its pace on the highway either. Could damage wheels, wear to brembos etc. also not so friendly in wet weather.
It’s a relatively new car, why bother owning it if you can’t drive it on a trip?

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

A C63 AMG with the windows down.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa View Post
My XR is my favourite.
Between the cruise control, full trip computer, leather wrap wheel, bolstered seats & low consumption I achieve on highway drives puts it miles ahead of my mothers AU2 Forte.
Agreed, my FG XR50 is by far the best I've had for road trips.

What helps a lot is the excellent cruise control with very minimal speed variation, which you can adjust at 1 or 10 kph increments, with the set speed displayed along with the very accurate and visible digital speedo. Makes it easy to stay just under the speed fine threshold.

Very relaxing drive, more than adequate acceleration for overtaking, the manual makes it even better IMO.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

My 300c luxury by far...

adaptive cruise control, nice relaxed ride, cooled/heated cup holders and vented/heated seats. Heaps of room. Dead quiet inside. Good on fuel on the high way (sits about 1250rpm @ 110km) and the HK stereo pumps when u want it too... and the sunroof can make it feel more relaxing at times.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Agreed, my FG XR50 is by far the best I've had for road trips.

What helps a lot is the excellent cruise control with very minimal speed variation, which you can adjust at 1 or 10 kph increments, with the set speed displayed along with the very accurate and visible digital speedo. Makes it easy to stay just under the speed fine threshold.

Very relaxing drive, more than adequate acceleration for overtaking, the manual makes it even better IMO.
I agree, my FG XR6 is a great long distance cruiser. The cruise control is brilliant, so accurate and easy to use and there is no wind noise. When you need to put your foot down, there is plenty of power all the way through the rev range, whereas the older SOHC Falcons run out of puff. The suspension is firm but never harsh.
Old 13-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had some good cars really suited for the highway with a turn of speed as well, but my s2 au xr6 is like a comfortable old shoe that does most things very well and the bloody thing just keeps going,
The XR6 also I've done 170000 kliks in and its a ripping tow vehicle, no brainer for me the Xr for the win.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
wookie836
Highway wanderer

my XC is great on long trips to kalgoorlie from perth or around the south west, fuel isnt too bad, its soo comfortable, like sitting on a couch, can hook up my lap top to the stereo, decent sound, wind the windows down and its a lot cooler, the 3 speed and 200 was a draw back as itd struggle to overtake road trains thatd pass you on a refueling stop up the road lol. was a lot better with the 250. id usually take 5l of oil as the rings were on the way out and 2 jerry cans of 98 from the city with me to top up with the pricey fuel on the trip home. lights sucked on night drives. cruising in style.

then theres my RTV ute, dual fuel barra with ~1000kms of range, can do the trip with one stop usually at the 2/3rds mark of the trip and that was just for a quick stretch and so i dont doze and go bush. engine dosnt mind driving fast. for kal trips ill use gas along the flats [wheatbelt] and petrol around the hills [northam and coolgardie]. not as comfortable as the XC, always warm inside the cab unless i break and turn the air con on which is rare, id rather put up with the heat. If i hit dirt roads the ute has the advantage.

oddly enough they both handle similarly on the open black top, so its down to how much money im willing to spend [98 and oil compared to 95 and LPG, servos on the way are usually more expensive than servos at the destination] and comfort level, spesh if im taking a few mates along with me.

driven most of my cars in the country but since these are 2/3 that i own and havnt taken the jeep more than 2 hours out of perth no use comparing the rest, NL was floaty like a yatch on a swell and the VR was nothing special nor memorable etc
wookie836 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my AU sedan is one of the best long distance cars I have ever driven. seats are so comfy, I also like the FG XR6 I rented. thou it wasn't driven a long as what I have driven the AU. I was very happy with its road manners and performance. another car I was happy with on a long trip is my mates Aurion (don't laugh). It didn't handle as well as the falcon but it was a good car to drive. one of the three I would choose.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
marcyeo

E63 AMG - all the creature comforts and Euro luxury doodad's, adaptive cruise control for times when I don't really want to have to concentrate, plus all the other niceties like adaptive headlights and auto dimming high beams, HUD, seated/cooled seats, good boot space, heaps of room to accommodate 4 people if need be, plus the awesome sound track with the windows down if you reach a tunnel/cliff face and the power plus handling in case you reach any twisty/windy stretches on your drive ... con's? Fuel consumption - but of course as we all know if that's what you're worried about get a Prius..

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
monte.b

We just did a trip from Maryborough in QLD to south of Port Mcquarie ,stayed there a few days ,then wanted to go to Wadonga but the fires were burning through Sydney way so we went up over the range to Tamworth ,then down to Dubbo ,stayed with some hotroding friends there and went on to Wadonga the next day ,,on the way home we went from Wadonga to Tamworth ,stayed there for the night, then carried on home the next day ,about 4000kms ,or a bit over ,we drove our bf mrk 2 ute ,never missed a beat the old girl ,no oil used no water ,just fueled it up and away it went ,worked out about 9lts per 100kms ,which wee pretty happy with ,some pretty big mountain ranges on the way that does increase the usage a lot ,pity we are going to lose these old dears
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #22
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it was a classic, I'd go for a full-size Yank car. Those things are great smooth cars on the highway. If fuel economy was an issue, I'll just use a 6-cylinder variant.

When it comes to modern cars, it's hard to pick. The first thing that comes to mind would be the FG Falcon.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Recently done Adelaide to Melbourne (for a holiday) and returned via the Great Ocean Road, My car was great, Comfy, cheap and still got out of the car with no tingling in any body parts.... Loved the whole trip...

2003 BA Egas Falcon XT with XR stuff....

Done the Adelaide & Melbourne trip & returned in the same day a few times.
probably why I have owned it 4 years now... Longest I have had any car..

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

My Territory...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #25
superyob
Banned

As much as I'd like to say my ZD Fairlane, which is like a mobile armchair, I would probably go ZH Fairlane Marquis... As good as modern cars are, they cannot replicate that big comfortable cruiser ride... And I don't drive fast enough to warrant choosing superior handling over a comfortable ride...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #26
1TUFFUTE
Banned

My brothers HQ kingswood wagon. Awesome cruiser...heaps of room. But the older I get the harder to say no to power and comfort. G6ET ftw
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #27
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

The wagon..built for touring.

Or the NC lane...LWB sunroof V8..so comfy.

Or the Brumby, fun and comfy (to me), 4x4 ability to go beyond a gravel road thus more fun and can explore more aswell.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #28
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

My 2001 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor is great for road trips. Nice long wheelbase, and people still tend to get out of my way.
Old 14-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #29
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Territory...road trip is it's primary directive.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #30
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the most comfortable road trip car i had was an XE GL Falcon 4.1 column shift, I could move around on the seat to get comfy, I could put my left foot up on the tunnel to stretch out, had loads of room for 4 adults, no power steer so on the freeway it felt good, and it had heaps of torque and floaty soft suspension so it was great on the dirt.
it was a good all rounder and more fun to drive than a late model car.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post