Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question The future for Ford workers: literacy will be key

Yesterday’s announcement that Ford will close its manufacturing operations in Geelong and Broadmeadows by 2016 at the cost of 1,200 jobs raises questions of what the workers' future employment options are.

But as these workers consider their futures, we need to understand that nearly half of Australian adults are considered functionally illiterate. And manufacturing workers in Victoria, which includes those in the firing line at Ford, were found to have even lower literacy skills, with 54% scoring at the lowest levels.

The data are alarming and there are now serious concerns about these levels of literacy and the impact they have on the employment, health and education opportunities for workers.

Given the strong links between increasing literacy and better employment opportunities, economic independence and social conditions including health and education, this is a serious issue not only for manufacturing workers, but for the rest of the Australian community.
Advertisement
What is functional illiteracy?

Functional literacy is broadly defined as having the literacy skills for everyday living. This includes reading and writing lists, interpreting medicine labels, understanding road signs, using maps, navigating the internet, using instruction manuals and other procedural texts that people encounter in their daily lives.

While complete illiteracy refers to a total inability to read or write, functional illiteracy is much more difficult to see, as functionally illiterate adults can generally read and write to a limited degree.

UNESCO defines functional illiteracy as being unable to productively engage with society due to poor reading and writing skills.

Data from a recent Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) study, as part of the Programme for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC), assessing adult literacy and numeracy skills shows that about 44% of Australians aged 15 – 74 had literacy skills at levels that are considered to be functionally illiterate. Older Australians have lower literacy rates than younger Australians, with 65% scoring at the lowest literacy levels.
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...524-2k4u1.html

My Comment, if this is true, then Australia's education system has a lot to answer for...What has all the money on education , been spent on ??????

Last edited by csv8; 27-05-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: ad link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Default Re: The future for Ford workers: literacy will be key

If an adult has extremely poor literacy after the age of 25, who do you blame?
On a second point, who should be liable for the costs to educate them?

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Bowser22

I believe this is why we need manufacturing in this country. Not everyone will be able to obtain a university education and work in so called "smart economy" being designers and engineers. People who cannot achieve these levels of education need jobs like manufacturing because we all can't be cleaners and check out chicks.
Bowser22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

And these people were getting paid $50 an hour?? Can someone please clear that up, what does a shift line worker actually get paid per hour? This is what Dowling suggests.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

$50 ph is the quoted "average" hourly rate. This would include overtime, afternoons shift, weekend and holiday rates. Sounds very close to me, if I was guessing I'd say $40-$45 average, but they may include super in their figures.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Been through this argument overseas with US auto workers supposedly costing $76/hour.
These cost figures are arrived at by adding all pay benefits super contribution, leave loading,
sick pay, long services accrued in 12 months and then dividing through the actual hours available for work..

I think they even heap in training courses and cost of workers comp per worker...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nearly half of Australian are illiterate? Wonder where they draw the line of what's illiterate and what's not.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser22 View Post
I believe this is why we need manufacturing in this country. Not everyone will be able to obtain a university education and work in so called "smart economy" being designers and engineers. People who cannot achieve these levels of education need jobs like manufacturing because we all can't be cleaners and check out chicks.
Agreed but they can't be paid more than a school teacher at the same time, otherwise the product they are manufacturing will be too expensive to produce and cheaper imports will end up costing them their jobs.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

A friend of mine I've known since childhood used to work on the assembly line at Nissan as a spot welder. He has changed jobs almost 20 times in the 20 years since Nissan closed. Some low skilled workers will never be able to find secure employment once large manufacturing companies disappear.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Nearly half of Australian are illiterate? Wonder where they draw the line of what's illiterate and what's not.
Ben...If you could read its actually stated in the original post!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Near the same line that is drawn between full time employed and unemployed . . . Fudge the numbers to what suits them at the current time . . .
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
Bowser22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
A friend of mine I've known since childhood used to work on the assembly line at Nissan as a spot welder. He has changed jobs almost 20 times in the 20 years since Nissan closed. Some low skilled workers will never be able to find secure employment once large manufacturing companies disappear.
Yep, I work in an aluminium smelter and some of the blokes I work with have been there for 20-30 years and didn't even finish school, they just do their job and go home. Fords will have guys budding on retirement age that will be looking for employment but have no qualifications.
Bowser22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Cheese3

Ok first of all , is this thread about low level skilled/production workers only or trades aswell ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
Agreed but they can't be paid more than a school teacher at the same time, otherwise the product they are manufacturing will be too expensive to produce and cheaper imports will end up costing them their jobs.
I work at Ford Geelong as a Fitter and Turner , an reading that makes my blood boil . . . Why not paid the same if not more , what because teachers use the catch phrase "educating the future of tomorrow"

Is it because we are more mechanically gifted with our hands than the brains we deserve less ? Any tradesman who deals with engineers will tell you the majority are theorist and it should be mandatory for engineers to spend one year on the tools to understand and appreciate what we do . But instead I see new grads come into the work place thinking they know it all and will not take advice/listen to the guys who have been in the game for years . We just sit back watch them struggle, stuff up and waste time and show them days later in 5mins how to make their job easier . . . Knowledge is the key not a fancy suits and shiney shoes . . .

An one more thing , by the time I leave/loose my job lm going to university to become a primary school teacher , Im only 25 years old now and they have it set . . . 3 months off a year , pay increase of 20% over 4 years recently , later starts . . . To many perks already compared to a Trade , so no a teacher doesn't deserve more . . .

Last edited by Cheese3; 27-05-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 27-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The unskilled and semi skilled middle class is dead.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: The future for Ford workers: literacy will be key

Good teachers (the vast majority) work 60 plus hrs/wk, dot regurgitate the cynical Murdoch/Bolt/Hadley/Jones/Devine tripe.
It's intellectually lazy to spread their rubbish.
'Raising' other people's brats is one of societies thankless tasks.
If its such a doodle, just go ahead and find out for yourself then tell us all about it.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post
Ok first of all , is this thread about low level skilled/production workers only or trades aswell ?

I work at Ford Geelong as a Fitter and Turner , an reading that makes my blood boil . . . Why not paid the same if not more , what because teachers use the catch phrase "educating the future of tomorrow"

Is it because we are more mechanically gifted with our hands than the brains we deserve less ? Any tradesman who deals with engineers will tell you the majority are theorist and it should be mandatory for engineers to spend one year on the tools to understand and appreciate what we do . But instead I see new grads come into the work place thinking they know it all and will not take advice/listen to the guys who have been in the game for years . We just sit back watch them struggle, stuff up and waste time and show them days later in 5mins how to make their job easier . . . Knowledge is the key not a fancy suits and shiney shoes . . .

An one more thing , by the time I leave/loose my job lm going to university to become a primary school teacher , Im only 25 years old now and they have it set . . . 3 months off a year , pay increase of 20% over 4 years recently , later starts . . . To many perks already compared to a Trade , so no a teacher doesn't deserve more . . .
So what you are saying is that you are upset that other have no idea about your job yet you clearly demonstrate that you have not the slightest idea what a teacher does or how much work they actually do......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
Good teachers (the vast majority) work 60 plus hrs/wk, dot regurgitate the cynical Murdoch/Bolt/Hadley/Jones/Devine tripe.
If its such a doodle, just go ahead and find out for yourself then tell us all about it.
Crap...
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Bolt supporter eh?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Did you go to school?
Old 27-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are many 'professionals' I have met where you could question their 'functional literacy'

Anyways it's always a funny conversation when people try to make direct comparisons between completely different types of work. I have it on an almost weekly basis with my brother :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
The unskilled and semi skilled middle class is dead.
Imagine what happens to society when these people no longer can find secure employment with regular income? Ugly. There are more people at the lower end of society. I am not being derogatory to these people. They need to be given opportunities and manufacturing industries have been their saviour.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #22
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

As a Mechanical Engineer, comments like this make my blood boil. If you are as clever as you somehow seem to think you are, why don't you go do 4 years at university and then come back to your existing job and really show those brainiacs who is boss. Surely you would be unbeatable with your self proclaimed excellece and an Engineering Degree as well !!!
6 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you want to become a teacher because you think it's easy, I'm afraid you'll be in for a shock.

My girlfriend, sister in law and a few mates are teachers and I've seen it's not a cruisy gig. Try spending just one day looking after 20-odd little ****'s with all their attitudes and behavioural issues and see if you think the same thing. Teachers end up spending more time with kids than the parents do. After work hours and weekends they're often writing reports, marking, preparing lesson plans for the next day or week or researching ways to manage problem behaviour. Come report writing time they can disappear for weeks. This is all unpaid in their free time but expected.

Someone once said the same thing to my girlfriend after a full-on week and she just looked back at them with a pale exhausted face and said "it's just not worth the money. You need those holidays to stay sane." If you're not dedicated to the job and prepared to really invest your life in it you won't make it.

I hope you love coordinating concerts and musicals and performing in front of kids and parents because you'll be doing heaps of that
Old 27-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #24
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Imagine what happens to society when these people no longer can find secure employment with regular income? Ugly. There are more people at the lower end of society. I am not being derogatory to these people. They need to be given opportunities and manufacturing industries have been their saviour.
Australia has just set sail for a full class based society.
Those lucky enough to have access to a first class education, including degree at a top uni then your OK. Those that don't like school or mum and dad are too flat out paying off the over inflated mortgage to cover school fees, then enjoy life at the bottom of the feed lot.
Hard work wont work any more, that piece of paper will be the ticket to $.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #25
Cheese3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
I just finished a 68hr working week , doing the hours is easy I for one ain't a typical Gen Y stereotype. I have spoken to my mates who are Primary teachers and I have been deciding for afew years now on what to do because the writing was on the wall with the closure . I have actually done the odd Uni assignment to see if I could do the school part , the hardest part will be trying to pay off a mortgage while going to Uni.

The best perk for me to become a primary teacher is because Im male , when my 3 friends went to find a job and went to interviews the other applicants are 98% female but when they cull the numbers to the final four , three of them would be guys because schools are trying to boost the % of male to female teacher ratio.

Raising the "brats" I won't have any dramas , the part that I will find hard and will be hard to restrain myself is dealing with parents . . . I'm a realist and I tell it how it is , we encourage freedom of speech but your not allowed to say something that might upset someone . . I can vision a scenario already with a parent . . .

Me: "Hi there Missus Smith , thanks for coming in. We had an incident today with your son . He was bulling and physically pushing over another student at lunch today an . . . "

Missus Smith "How dare you accuse my son of that , he wouldn't do such a thing my poor little angel , you have no right single him out over other children"

and at that part ill start getting annoyed because they are bias and being irrational as they are blind because their baby boy is always innocent in their own eyes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
So what you are saying is that you are upset that other have no idea about your job yet you clearly demonstrate that you have not the slightest idea what a teacher does or how much work they actually do......
Upset no , more annoyed how people believe getting a degree is the only way to get ahead in life . . . I do know more than I wrote in my first post , I only listed the perks better than what I have now , nothing about the job itself . . .
Old 27-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Australia has just set sail for a full class based society.
Those lucky enough to have access to a first class education, including degree at a top uni then your OK. Those that don't like school or mum and dad are too flat out paying off the over inflated mortgage to cover school fees, then enjoy life at the bottom of the feed lot.
Hard work wont work any more, that piece of paper will be the ticket to $.
My parents had a mortgage, I went to a public school that has drug/violence issues but I studied hard and went to a top uni. Alternatively I could have come up with lame excuses as to why life was so hard.

Last edited by Spammy; 27-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
Cheese3

Quote:
Did you go to school?
Private Catholic Boys School , paid by the wages of my boiler maker father . . . Why you ask ?

Quote:
As a Mechanical Engineer, comments like this make my blood boil. If you are as clever as you somehow seem to think you are, why don't you go do 4 years at university and then come back to your existing job and really show those brainiacs who is boss. Surely you would be unbeatable with your self proclaimed excellece and an Engineering Degree as well !!! (I totally agree with you I would destroy it having both sides of the tree :-) )
It would mean that I would have to jump the fence and become something I mock

nah all serious though , I have thought about it and personally I would like to try something left of field and challenging. My old man says to me get my underwater welding tickets and my brother who is a Chemical Engineer (yes he is one of you, grrrrr) says try Mech eng . . .

On the subject of my brother though who is 4 years older , he quit being a chemical engineer for 3 years nearly to work as a rigger on building sites . . . He was getting more money and the experience he gained on the tools is priceless as the tradies he works with now are shocked that he knows the difference between a spanner and a hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb0 View Post
If you want to become a teacher because you think it's easy, I'm afraid you'll be in for a shock.

My girlfriend, sister in law and a few mates are teachers and I've seen it's not a cruisy gig. Try spending just one day looking after 20-odd little ****'s with all their attitudes and behavioural issues and see if you think the same thing. Teachers end up spending more time with kids than the parents do. After work hours and weekends they're often writing reports, marking, preparing lesson plans for the next day or week or researching ways to manage problem behaviour. Come report writing time they can disappear for weeks. This is all unpaid (I do admit that would hurt) in their free time but expected.

Someone once said the same thing to my girlfriend after a full-on week and she just looked back at them with a pale exhausted face and said "it's just not worth the money. You need those holidays to stay sane." If you're not dedicated to the job and prepared to really invest your life in it you won't make it.

I hope you love coordinating concerts and musicals and performing in front of kids and parents because you'll be doing heaps of that
Well I have never said a Teachers job is easy , my first initial post was reply to why Tradies should be paid less . . . It would be challenge and I would do my best to past if I don't party to much with the younger girls but with this thread about literacy mine has always been shocking I can remember my scores for the year 12 subjects I did .

General Maths : 32/50
Physics : 27/50
System Technology : 48/50 (yes it involved working with my hands)
and the last one English : 13/50

I look back on English now , I was left behind at year 10 trying to understand it and also I was a youngen kid . . . I finished year 12 when I was 17 , I wasn't mentally mature to grasp the English subject at all and I look at it now I could . . .
Old 27-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there much underwater welding work in Australia?
Old 27-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
Cheese3

Quote:
Is there much underwater welding work in Australia?
who said anything about staying in Australia , I hear there is a small boat off the coast in Italy that the workers are making a killing

I'm not tired down yet so moving doesn't phase me .
Old 27-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Crap...
Yes it is crap, the figure is more like 80 hours a week.

My wife is a prep teacher as in teaches 5 year olds.

This is a normal week:

Sunday; prepare weeks lessons and create all of the documentation and components, 4-6 hours.
Monday-Friday;
up at 5, leave at 7, prepare and look after kids until 9, start school.
Teach until first break.
While kids are on first break, watch kids and prepare next lesson.
Teach until second break. (lunch)
Try to scoff down a bit of food while on playground duty during lunch and then prepare afternoon lesson.
Ensure kids are picked up at 3pm and then start to prepare next day as well as feed all the crap into the computer for "one school" etc.
Get home some time between 5 and 6pm.
Mark work/homework and at various times do reports cards, naplan and all the other crap.

Saturday usually recover but at times do preparation.

Holidays:
Easter, clean up after exams and prepare for next term.
June, finish off semester and prepare for next semester.
September, same as easter.
December, yay year is over but in 3 weeks the whole thing starts again.

Of course it is just repeating last year......except if it is a different grade, the curriculum has changed, a new HOD or Boss wants to do it a different way or about a squillion other things.

I am an electrician by trade and used to work for a large corporation.
My week back then was:
9 day fortnight.
Turn up at start time
Have smoko .
Have lunch
Go home.
Do what I was told to do and if the job was not finished by knockoff then it did not get done until the next day.
Weekends were my time, stuff work.

I now run my own business and have a week off every couple of years if I am lucky.

Any employed tradie who thinks that professionals have it easy has NO IDEA AT ALL.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: