Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What are peoples fav bank, and why?

Just wondering what bank people like and why, I'm with NAB and was thinking of changing.

buddy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What are peoples fav bank, and why?

I don't really like any of the banks as they are all greedy but it's a nessecary evil I guess. I am currently with ANZ after previously being with the Commonwealth and for my banking situation I've found ANZ to be the best one in regards to fees and charges.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I gave one of the major 4 the flick a few years ago and changed to a credit union. It's nice to feel like I'm not being milked like a cash cow all the time. Virtually no fees and the service is great. I like the idea of all the profits going back into the sector it represents and democratic control by the membership.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
riggamortus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb0 View Post
I gave one of the major 4 the flick a few years ago and changed to a credit union. It's nice to feel like I'm not being milked like a cash cow all the time. Virtually no fees and the service is great. I like the idea of all the profits going back into the sector it represents and democratic control by the membership.
This. A friend of mine is a board member of Intech Credit Union and asked me to give them a go a few years back and I'm glad I did. Better service and lack of fees is always appreciated.
2010 GT-E #12, Edge
5.0 S/C
395rwkw
riggamortus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
12slotter

BIG BANKS, Small banks, Credit u
Unions,Building Societies and all the other Enterprises they are all coloured with the pencil IMO, MULTI BILLION $ profits and they still want bailouts from the serfs......look at Greece / Cyprus and all the other countries, their leeches stuck with mine for the time being yep the devil you know till ......Bitcoin anyone?
12slotter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I changed from Westpac to the local NAB branch.

The NAB branch staff know me by name which is pretty cool, its nice to walk into a business and being recognised by your face being greeted before you hand over the card.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
AJ09

I used to be with Suncorp, recently changed to ING.

The reason for the change was lack of reliability with internet banking, however apart from that they were fine to deal with. (my Wife still banks with them ). I already had an account with ING and a mortgage so it was an easy changeover.

I was a little concerned about the fact ING don't have branches however it hasn't caused any drama. I rarely have the need to speak to bank staff and they're only a phone call away.

I guess it comes down to which institution best suits people's needs.
AJ09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recently switched over to bankwest from CBA. They're owned by CBA but for some reason have allot better rates/deals then CBA? For most stuff anyway, not sure about home loans.

Only down side is no branches.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I switched from NAB to Heritage a couple of years ago. I, too was sick of being milked by the big banks. The final straw for me was when I had a payment overdue on a loan and when my pay went into my account, the bank, in their infinite wisdom decided to take all of my pay to cover the loan payment and overdue charges. I then felt the banks have far too much control over MY money. I have since discovered they can withdraw money like they did when there is only one account holder but they cannot do it when there is more than one account holder.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was with Bank SA and changed to ING Direct when I got my home loan. Best bank ever, even though I think they are owned by ANZ and I didn't want to be part of the big 4.I have no fees ever, any atm used and they pay for the fees, any money withdrawn over $200 and they deposit 0.50c into my account. When I use pay pass, they deposit 5% of the purchase back into my account for any purchases up to $100. What bank actually pays you money!
Winter XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
robbyj
Rob

i use the commonwealth because their netbank and iphone banking app are fantastic. I don't have account fee's being a student.

When the time comes to look for a house ill switch to who ever can give me the best deal.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

i work in a small county town and a few years ago they opened a bendigo bank (community bank)
i changed from the which bank to them 4 years ago and would never go back.
Last year i bought(sorry if i got that wrong lol) a house and every few days i was in the bank talking with the manager. I could basically walk in and spend an hour at a time chatting about loans etc.
Last week he rang me and offered up a change from vari to fixed loan (doing it a bit tough atm and he knows it) and we had another yak about loans and such.
Makes you feel like you are not just another person. And each teller in the branch knows your name! nothing like personal service!

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Westpac for the everyday account, savings and the credit card. They got me a good rate card, are easy to deal with and have helped with my savings account.
Will be using a mortgage broker for the house purchase however as I don't believe westpac has the best rate available.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I'm getting a bit over Westpac and looking for a change maybe....
I just wrote a complaint to them actually. I'm sick and tired of the tellers
trying to sell me some product every time I go to the counter.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Service wise, I've always favoured ANZ, though I don't bank with them.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was with Westpac for donkeys but finally had enough a few years ago.
I am now with Bendigo Bank, partly because of their community involvement and partly because of their rates and service. So far they're great!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I was with Commonwealth from a young tacker through to about 18 or 20. Then changed to the Bendigo because I liked the idea of a Visa debit card, which they had and charged very little for.

When I needed to get a home loan (around 2001), I ended up going with Super Member's Home Loans, as they were constantly rated as one of the cheapest home loan providers. Since then, they have morphed into ME Bank, and I have changed all of my banking over to them, as they offer an access account that has no annual fees whatsoever attached (unlike the Bendigo who started charging for the debit cards.)

ME Bank are consistantly winning awards from various magazines (Money for example) as well as Canstar and the service is great. Although they don't have a branch in my town (nearest is Fountain Gate I think), I can access all Westpac ATMs at no charge, their internet banking works great, and the couple of times I have had the need to call their phone banking and talk to someone, I get through very quickly and I only ever talk to Aussies (or at least, someone who sounds like an Aussie!).

Couldn't recommend them higher.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bank sa for business and credit union for savings

credit union has a more "friendly" approach

dont like any of them, they are all rogues

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #19
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I use Westpac and Members Equity. Westpac is like the others I guess and ME gives good interest rates but has no teller system. :(
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I dont like any banks at all. But we do it coz it's all we know.

CBA for home loans and general accounts. Westpac Ignite for primary CC and Virgin CC for online purchases. The virgin one has the lowest allowable amount and only used for online purchases as a safety precaution.

We only chose CBA because the mrs used to be lead teller for a number of years and knew the lender personally to get the best loan. Plus we got some added perks thrown in at the same time.

The Westpac card used to be Virgin years ago, then got bought out by Westpac and we were issued with the Westpac one ever since. We kept with them because they offered a 55day interest free period and zero yearly fees. We NEVER go over that 55 day period before paying off the amount owed. The mrs dislikes banks very much so and makes sure they aren't taking more than they have agreed with.

As for sales tactics at the branches, its become mainstream everywhere but more so with the Big 4 as they are pressured to sell as much crap as possible. The tellers dont do it out of love, they are tested on it every month and set targets to reach to gain more income/profit for the share holders. The pressure is very strict especially in the CBA with regards to this and the branch manager has the whip out if you are not asking the same BS questions to ALL customers about starting up new accounts or selling some unnecessary new scheme they have started up. If the branch manager exceeds his targets, he gets either a yearly bonus and/or a holiday of some kind. Thats the main reason my mrs left.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Currently with Westpac and can't complain with service.

Wouldn't touch ANZ EVER again, even if I was paid to.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #22
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Thanks for the heads up there blueoval....
It's a crook system eh! Make the staff annoy the #### out of the customers and
then the manager gets some cash stuffed in his/her pocket or a free holiday.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #23
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife & I bank with ANZ. WE have certainly had our fair range of issues with them however. Fortuantely I performed a job for a customer that happened to be the regional manager for ANZ here in this large town. Since I described my issues, each and every time I enter the bank the tellers now smile, call me by my name and show respect. Kudos!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
12slotter

Shouldn't they all smile and be courteous in the first place without having to complain about it , what ever happened to customer relations off the bat.......ps glad they smile at you now
12slotter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #25
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy92 View Post
Just wondering what bank people like and why, I'm with NAB and was thinking of changing.
Good lord why? You wish to pay various account fee's?
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #26
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92 View Post
Thanks for the heads up there blueoval....
It's a crook system eh! Make the staff annoy the #### out of the customers and
then the manager gets some cash stuffed in his/her pocket or a free holiday.
Its like with any job really, it forms part of their KPI's. And for those that hate being asked, there are a lot of people out they who hate it when they don't get asked.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #27
Jip
Starter Motor

Im with the CBA and have had no troubles at all, they dealt with a credit card fraud issue really quickly and painlessly.

I absolutely despise the NAB as the company i use to work for went bust because of them. Obviously not 100% their fault but it was a big part of it.
Jip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #28
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with ANZ, Internet banking has always been easy to use and the iPhone app is great.

I was with CUA many years ago and I would get smashed with fee's because how I used my money, was paying between $30 to $70 a month in fee's with CUA. Now with ANZ I pay around $8 a month a get better service.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #29
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I'm with BoQ - very easy to do business with.

Over the past 30 years, have dealt with:

Advance Bank - easily the worse bank I have ever entrusted my money with, swapped to Bank of New South Wales

Bank of New South Wales - aka Westpac, too big for their own good and they nearly went bust, swapped to St George

St George Bank, were a good bank until they merged with Advance Bank (the curse of Advance Bank followed be)

Then St George Bank, became a totally hopeless bank when they were taken over by Westpac

IMO - way too much concentration of the banking sector within Australia...
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #30
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I'm with BoQ - very easy to do business with.
I was with BoQ from 1997 until about two weeks ago (due to a loan account I had but swapped my day to day banking with them about 4 years ago)

I would still be with them if they did not freeze my day to day account due to a clerical error that left me unable to access any of my money for four days.