Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question How Ford can build the XR8 and G8E

The GT is now assembled at Broadmeadows. Ford have to take an XT to the GT production area to build the GT. Why cann't they add the XR6 and the G6E and drop in a non-SC V8 ??? its not rocket science ? surely?

Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How Ford can build the XR8 and G8E

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
The GT is now assembled at Broadmeadows. Ford have to take an XT to the GT production area to build the GT. Why cann't they add the XR6 and the G6E and drop in a non-SC V8 ??? its not rocket science ? surely?
No it is not rocket science, it is mechanical engineering and as it would be a new engine would have to go through all of the ADR compliance procedures including endurance and crash testing and would cost millions of dollars.

As the V8 ghia and XR8 were both very slow sellers even after massive price cuts and extra options added at no cost I suspect Ford would not be able to make a viable case for building a new one.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah i reckon they could develop it in a few days, piece of cake really.....
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As flappiest said it is not a simple job even if there is a NA version of the engine in the US they would have to go through the ADR process here and we aren't talking a couple of grand to a certifying engineer like we would pay to drop a non original engine in.
Ford would have to be able to justify the expenditure with adequate sales and on past history that is not likely.
as it stands Ford have a good range of performance cars available starting from the affordable XR6 turbo right through to the GT Rspec. how many options do you want in what after all is a small limited market ( unlike the US where they have a population of 330M to sell to) .
lets face it the XR8 died due to lack of support so it is unlikely to reappear

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Hush, silence with that nonsense! Even though the V8 is fully engineered and crash tested with the Falcon they do not want to sell cars they could get 50 grand for. Instead they want to focus on building 4 cylinders that no one buys and LPGs which has production stopped every two weeks because some LPG component maker goes bankrupt because they build so few parts.

How dare you suggest with fleets and families moving to small cars and SUVs, that the real opportunity to exploit is the performance and luxury side of the market with a XR8 and G8E.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do people always point to the BA and early FG era XR8 and V8 Fairmont Ghia sales figures as "proof" that these types of models wont sell? They had a boat anchor as an engine FFS! Not one bit surprising they didn't sell. Not at all relevant to what Ford could be building now.

I can just as easily point to the SS Commodore and V8 Calais as "proof" that these models do indeed sell, quite well it would seem.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Why do people always point to the BA and early FG era XR8 and V8 Fairmont Ghia sales figures as "proof" that these types of models wont sell? They had a boat anchor as an engine FFS! Not one bit surprising they didn't sell. Not at all relevant to what Ford could be building now.

I can just as easily point to the SS Commodore and V8 Calais as "proof" that these models do indeed sell, quite well it would seem.
Mostly because the same basic engine was used in the GT which sold quite well.......
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
malazn mafia
Boss 335

If every falcon left the factory painted, pre-fitted with driveline and wheels, and no interior or bumpers/skirts, and is fitted at the dealership, couldn't any variant of falcon be produced to customer specs?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
If every falcon left the factory painted, pre-fitted with driveline and wheels, and no interior or bumpers/skirts, and is fitted at the dealership, couldn't any variant of falcon be produced to customer specs?
My local dealer can't service a car properly and you want to let them build a car? I get your point, but really the dealer network on the whole struggles to do an oil change.
5 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
No it is not rocket science, it is mechanical engineering and as it would be a new engine would have to go through all of the ADR compliance procedures including endurance and crash testing and would cost millions of dollars.

As the V8 ghia and XR8 were both very slow sellers even after massive price cuts and extra options added at no cost I suspect Ford would not be able to make a viable case for building a new one.
I cant see it needing a lot of compliance to be done, essentially its a GS with no supercharger, and with less weight over the front and more power with better fuel economy. If marketed right it would compete with the SS easily
it just takes effort
Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same old.......... same old, a few people wining oh ford oz should spend time and effort and extra money that needs to spent on models we currently have to build a poverty pack v8 to sell very cheaply so that most of said winers would`nt actually go out and buy anyway.
makes sense to me .
6 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

They cant simply treat it as a GS minus supercharger though, they need to prove through development that whatever is different with the car will be up to standard.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
envyyvne
Starter Motor

Easy way around,

xr8 gets the supercharged 315

GS gets the 335

GT gets an intercooled 375

Problem solved
Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by envyyvne View Post
Easy way around,

GS gets the 335

Problem solved

Except the new problem is you cant sell enough XR8's at $50 +K

2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

If I remember correctly, Ford Oz once stated that they ran into difficulties finding a suitable ECU setup for the Coyote in a Falcon. (Which may have been Fordspeak for the N/A not being able to haul the Falcon at acceptable pace.)

Re-engineering costs aside.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Except the new problem is you cant sell enough XR8's at $50 +K
They can probably do it........
But then people who will never buy one will winge that it doesn't have Brembos all round , it doesn't have the premium interior , is too spartan , doesn't get the wider rear wheels , has limited paint colour options , no stripe package and Ford no longer fit sunroofs from factory...........oh.......and 55k is way to expensive regardless.......and it uses too much fuel.....why isn't there a supercharged diesel option.......

Sound familiar..........
4 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by envyyvne View Post
Easy way around,

GS gets the 335

Problem solved
that actually might be doable, but the GT-R spec needs somewhere to fit in, maybe???

GT-R spec gets limited warranty race track edition 450+ and manual trans only ?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart View Post
If I remember correctly, Ford Oz once stated that they ran into difficulties finding a suitable ECU setup for the Coyote in a Falcon. (Which may have been Fordspeak for the N/A not being able to haul the Falcon at acceptable pace.)

Re-engineering costs aside.
Well It would've been quicker than an SS but still slower than a turbo. The ECU problem was Falcon could only handle dual VCT phasers and Coyote has 4. That's why Miami has the exhaust phasers disconnected.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
excopau

The people at keep bringing this up, XR 8 is dead, you didn't buy it, so why bring back to loose money on it, when 3 people want it?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Well It would've been quicker than an SS but still slower than a turbo. The ECU problem was Falcon could only handle dual VCT phasers and Coyote has 4. That's why Miami has the exhaust phasers disconnected.
Thats right, thanks for the memory jolt

You would imagine that correcting this wouldnt be an expensive exercise though, seriously.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New ECU minimum, which may have had issues with the rest of the wiring loom.

Apparently SZ Territory had a new ECU though, and there were alot if rumours that could handle quad phasers and would flow through to Falcon.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #22
Scradley6666

Also isn't the 5.0l Coyote without a supercharger underpowered in a vehicle that weighs 1850KG? So they would be producing something that's behind the times in power, speed and affordability. Not viable at all.
So to people saying fit in a N/A coyote, maybe go buy a 290 Boss 5.4L. Would go the same. Or better yet, buy a I6T. If you want the V8 sound, buy a GS and enjoy the few extra luxuries over the XR6 Turbo.
As you can see by my signature, I owned both. I know which one I prefer.

Out with the old:
2006 BF XR8 Falcon - 240RWKW
Difilippo Headers, Magnaflow 200CPSI Cats, X-Force Quad Stainless Exhaust, BPR CAI, ZF 6 SPD, Tuned by CV Performance!

In with the new:
2009 FG XR6 Turbo Falcon - Stock as a rock (but not for long)
EGO Colour with premium audio and ZF 6 SPD
Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I'd say its time for those of us that wish for an XR8 return to give up, myself included.

The FGII XR6T is faster than the 5.0L would have ever been and its Fords top gun machine outside of FPV going into the Falcons future, if you must have a V8 at sub 50 grand you have two options a Commodore SS or a Second hand GS.

With the numbers the Falcon is selling and uncertain future beyond the next 3 years of production we arn't going to see any unnessisary model development.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think some people need to build a bridge with regards to the XR8. If you really want to buy a V8 in a Falcon, please visit your local FPV dealer. They'll be abe to look after you & sell you the best V8 engine fitted to any local car!!
3 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #25
FPV_Steve
Livin Life in the F6 Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
that actually might be doable, but the GT-R spec needs somewhere to fit in, maybe???

GT-R spec gets limited warranty race track edition 450+ and manual trans only ?
The R-Spec was a limited edition run. So there would be no need to fit the R-Spec model into that line up.

The intercooled GT 375 would get the GT R-Spec components + more.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I think its more a case of .... "How Ford can build the XR8 and G8E so I can buy one second hand"

....... not specifically directed at OP. And has been said. Best possible V8 is available right now at your local FPV dealer so why cheapen the product with something that 6T drivers and others can chuckle at?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
I think its more a case of .... "How Ford can build the XR8 and G8E so I can buy one second hand"

....... not specifically directed at OP. And has been said. Best possible V8 is available right now at your local FPV dealer so why cheapen the product with something that 6T drivers and others can chuckle at?
I would definitely put my money where my mouth is & buy a brand new G8E. The beauty of it being a G8E is that it doesnt have a performance benchmark to live up to. As it has been said many times on here, joe average doesnt give a rats earlobe about 1/4 mile times, which gives the G8E some viability in a twisted sense.

And Ill take a punt on the idea that dropping in a crate coyote (after inital costs) would be cheaper than dropping in a locally built I6 (since thats the great australian craze these days). So in a optimistic theory, the G8E could be cheaper than a G6E (NA)
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

If Ford put a detuned version of the SC 5.0L in an XR8/G8E and sold it for $50-55K, they would not have to spend any extra on compliance/engineering, would sell a bunch and would further recover that $40M investment on the Miami motor.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
jmac

Why bother when the turbo is faster, uses less fuel and results in one less vehicle in the line up. Buy a GT-E.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Mazda 3 MPS Aurora Blue Gone :(
-=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=- (198Kw/466NM ATW)
Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The Barra 220 couldn't get out of its own way, having 220 Kw and 470 nm and the extra weight of a high deck Triton,
it was barely faster than a Barra 180 Falcon I-6 but that didn't stop Ford wacking an $8,000 price premium on an XT V8.

Anyone willing to spend that much money optioning up an XT V8 was quickly directed to the nearest XR8 and shown the difference.
People wanting a V8 Fairmont Ghia wre also shown XR8 with luxury pack, superior V8, better handling and nice interior.
Closed Thread