Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
austrav
Blue blood

Default Snowflake gutter rash

Hi all. Just got my hands on a cheap set of snowflakes for my Zetec. I have always loved these wheels and have been waiting to get a set for a long time. They are cheap because of gutter rash. 2 of the wheels have major rash so they are in getting fixed. $$$$ so the other two which have some slight rash I decided not to get done....ran out of money really. Its really only on the very lip edge. When i get some more money i will probably get them done also but for now does anyone have any tips to hide it? Spray? silver nikko? paint? scream at it? etc.

I know this is more a general question but i would prefer some advice from focus owners first.

Cheers!
Trav

Current rides: 2010 Falcon G6E , 2011 SZ Territory TS Diesel AWD. Before: 2011 Focus Zetec LV, 2003 XR6 Falcon ute BA. 2006 Subaru Forester X. 2003 Mitsubishi Mirage. 1979 Ford Cortina Ghia 4 cylinder.
austrav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Snowflake gutter rash

Mine had a very small amount of gutter rash on one rim when I bought them. I have managed to repair it so it's pretty well not detectable unless you get really close to the rim and look for it I carefully filed back any rough raised bits with a fine file and then filled in the scrapes with blade putty, then gave it a light sand back and a coat of grey primer over the area. I bought a can of spray enamel in as close to the rim colour as I could find, the original has a fair bit of metallic fleck through it so choose the colour carefully and make sure it's a nice bright metallic silver to blend in with the original colour
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't usually recommend The Touch Up Guys, however each business is a franchise, so it's up to the owner as to their level of professionalism. Never had much luck with body work fixes, however the couple of times I've had major work done on my wheels, they've come up ace. It's been a while, but around $50 a wheel is all it cost. And I had some pretty bad scratches / chunks missing.

This was on the optional 17" wheels on a WS Fiesta, and the optional 16" wheels on a WP Fiesta. Hope this helps.
Old 21-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
austrav
Blue blood

Thanks guys. Gunna try some sanding back and try to do a spray job. Got the wheels put on today and the small amount of rash seems even smaller with tyres around them...will have to see if it starts to get to me over the next few weeks. If its driving me nuts I will have a go at above. Thanks for the suggestion Danny, they look pretty good. Will keep them in mind next time a shopping trolley hits my car.
Current rides: 2010 Falcon G6E , 2011 SZ Territory TS Diesel AWD. Before: 2011 Focus Zetec LV, 2003 XR6 Falcon ute BA. 2006 Subaru Forester X. 2003 Mitsubishi Mirage. 1979 Ford Cortina Ghia 4 cylinder.
austrav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post