Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Owe 70 million, Pay 70 thousand !!

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...ers-good-deal/
Ok, here's the story. This guy is the son of a very wealthy developer. Started his own business. It goes belly up. He owes more than 70 Million dollars, yes 70 Million. Creditors accept 70 thousand and he does not become a bankrupt and can still develop !!!! Am I missing something here ???

Old 30-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Owe 70 million, Pay 70 thousand !!

No. It;s called "having a clever accountant and lawyer".

Kerry Packer one year made many millions of dollars in profits, and paid only $13,000 personal income tax. When asked, he scoffed at the media and said "Anyone who doesn't use a clever accountant to minimise their tax is an idiot".

I grossed over $129,000 last year, paid $37,940 in income tax...and got back a measly $420 from the tax man.
This year I am trying to figure out how to pay less tax...but all I have come up with is contributing to my superannuation and getting private health cover. Not a lot else a "normal" guy can do. No idea how the big boys do it...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope your not missing anything.. If your wealthy you usually can get out of anything.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Dr Jekkyl

You know you have "made it" when you can employ people to make it seem otherwise.
Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

"SCOTT Juniper"

why did that familly come to my mind as soon as i first read your post, before clicking the link. if they sold one of the ferraris they would get more then that.
that is one of the things that always amazed me when i lived on the sunny coast, how a developer could whipe off millions in debts and carry on business as usual while all the subbies and suppliers lost everything they owned.

the rich get richer and who gives a **** about the rest.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

Kerry Packer one year made many millions of dollars in profits, and paid only $13,000 personal income tax. When asked, he scoffed at the media and said "Anyone who doesn't use a clever accountant to minimise their tax is an idiot".

I grossed over $129,000 last year, paid $37,940 in income tax...and got back a measly $420 from the tax man.
This year I am trying to figure out how to pay less tax...but all I have come up with is contributing to my superannuation and getting private health cover. Not a lot else a "normal" guy can do. No idea how the big boys do it...
I don't know what you do for a living and perhaps you have already done his but if you lease a car for business purposes you can legitimately reduce your tax
I have done this and have reduced my tax by as much as $11,000.00 per Annum
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
BHDOGS
Banned

Ofcourse I mean y pay your fair share the less fortunate don't need hospitals police or fire brigades and once there poor and destitute the same rich persons house will be the first thing to be looted let them eat cake
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes it seems very wrong does`nt it, what really burns me is some guys do this stuff over and over again and seem to get away with it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
yes it seems very wrong does`nt it, what really burns me is some guys do this stuff over and over again and seem to get away with it.
My old boss told me he could show me how to be very wealthy,when i asked how many times have you been bankrupt, he replied 3 ....
I said the only way you have the lifestyle you have is by shafting the little people he got all upset ....

Most people who have alot or are rich generally rely on the generosity of others,but try rippin them of for a dollar, the world would attack you

You never ever get rich doin an honest days work
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

You need a better account. My brother is earns around 150+ a year and he gets back around 90 percent of his tax.

The problem is if you have an account that has no idea or your trying to save $200 bucks by doing your own tax. I would suggest talk to a few friends and see who they use.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
You need a better account. My brother is earns around 150+ a year and he gets back around 90 percent of his tax.

The problem is if you have an account that has no idea, your trying to save $200 bucks by doing your own tax. I would suggest talk to a few friends and see who they use.
Not many options with PAYG apart from some work related expenses.

If you manage to pay only 10% tax on 150K and you're PAYG then you are doing something very dodgy.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
XWGT