Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
scott_motors
Starter Motor

Default Knox Ford- under new ownership

According to an ad in this week's Knox Leader, Knox Ford in Ferntree Gully are under new ownership, It appears to me that Stillwell Motor Group are pulling out of the Ford franchise.

Don't know exactly who the new owners are.

scott_motors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Knox Ford- under new ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_motors
According to an ad in this week's Knox Leader, Knox Ford in Ferntree Gully are under new ownership, It appears to me that Stillwell Motor Group are pulling out of the Ford franchise.

Don't know exactly who the new owners are.
I went to president ford (Melbourne)in elsternwick a month or so ago and it was now called Brighton Ford owned buy people who own Blood toyota so salesman said will do anything for sales he said
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

SMG (Stillwell Motor Group) are in a bit of trouble from what I have heard.

Apparently have been losing money on a couple of sites for quite a while. The family and board have tried to assert control at some of the more successful sites to squeeze some more $$ out of them (particularly at some of their BMW franchises from what I hear).

Unfortunately this has led to the loss of some of the better staff at management/dealer principal level and as a result even their better dealerships are struggling if rumour is to be believed.

They spent millions on BMW in Oakleigh which is always empty when you drive past.

Knox Ford was always one of the more successful and bigger dealerships in Melbourne, particularly with the strong commercial side. Things mustn't be travelling to well if they have let it change hands.

Wonder who the new owners are?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
scott_motors
Starter Motor

Times must be very very tough for Ford franchises at the moment, so it is not suprising to see some prominent Ford dealer groups either jumping ship or planning to jump ship soon.

Since posting this I did a little bit of research and detective work on the web and it appears that Knox Ford and Yarra Ranges Ford (both ex Stillwell Group dealerships) have been bought out by the people who own Brighton Toyota, as they both have the Above and Beyond slogan. The Knox Leader ad mentioned a deal where find a better price on a stocked vehicle and they will better it by $100.

Checked out the Stillwell Motor Group website http://www.stillwellgroup.com.au/ehub/ and found that Ford are no longer listed as one of their brands, so it looks as though they have dumped Ford altogether, ending decades of association with the Ford brand in one way or another.

Stillwell Group bought Knox Ford in 1996 and developed it into quite a large dealership, with a focus on Light Commercials with the only dedicated Light Commercial service workshop in the area. They were the biggest dealer for Transit vans in Melbourne and possibly Australia.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AHG group from WA have been purchasing dealerships so it my be them . Jeff Wignall Group now only have the Mistsubishi dealership in Brighton all the others have been sold. I heard they approached Simon Jefferson and were told no.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
scott_motors
Starter Motor

All these dealer groups and who owns who is fascinating. I am studying business myself at the moment and enjoy analysing these dealerships, especially the way things are at the moment, Ford in particular.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eagers Brisbane have part ownership of AHG
Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Eagers Brisbane have part ownership of AHG
AHG owns Eagers and every other dealership at Newstead including Metro Ford.

Problem with a lot of these dealers is they have lost the volume they were use to in the old days... Unless your a multi-franchise dealer it is hard to make your operations work for you, because the less cars you sell, the less parts you sell and the less service you sell... A lot of these guys have invested big dollars into these dealerships, they need to make them pay.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DASH GT has something happened since July 10??
AP Eagers snaps up 16 percent of AHG

July 10, 2012
The share market appears to have entertained further demand for Automotive Holding Group (AHG) after AP Eagers swooped on more than 42.6 million shares formerly owned by the family of AHG founder Vern Wheatley.

AHG shares rose from $2.53 yesterday to briefly hit $2.70, before settling just above $2.60 early this afternoon.

The purchase, involving $88.4 million over two years and 10.2 million Eagers shares, gives Eagers 16.3 percent of its main competitor and the Wheatley family 6.1 percent in Eagers.

The Wheatley family will retain about 8 percent of AHG.

The Eagers stake in AHG is 3.7 percent under the threshold needed to require a takeover offer.

A full takeover would see a strong concentration of truck and car dealerships.

While Eagers made no mentioned of such a move, CEO Martin Ward’s statements seemed to leave the option open, with talk of being able to add “significant value” and the fact that the firms have a franchise structures in common.

Ward also notes that AHG has exposure to the Western Australian market, “where AP Eagers does not currently have operations”.

However, it appears Eagers, which is also known by its stock market code, APE, has sought to downplay the idea.

“The CEO of APE spoke with me and indicated that this was a single purchase from a single shareholder and they do not have any current intention to buy more shares in AHG,” AHG Chairman David Griffiths says.

“That, of course, is a decision for them and not for us.”

An AHG spokesman was unable to comment on that issue, though an official response was awaited at deadline today.
http://www.fullyloaded.com.au/indust...2FNo+Container
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Sorry... Your right... The AP group bought into AHG which owns the likes of Zupps... AP owns all the dealerships at Newstead.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Knox Ford were purchased by The Brighton group (Toyota etc)

Wignalls, Frankston Mits, Ferntree Gully Toyota, Prestige Hino and now Coffey Ford (as of 1st August) are all now owned by AHG.

AHG also has shares in APE. A bit of love going on there...

You will find that most dealerships are for sale, it's just a matter of someone offering the right price.
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.

Last edited by partsguy; 08-08-2012 at 01:34 PM.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
partzkid

Knox Ford as well as Knox CJD (Chrysler Jeep Dodge), Yarra Ranges Ford and Kia in Lilydale were all sold to the The Brighton group.
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Hopefully Knox ford provide better service with new ownership.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
mash85

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Hopefully Knox ford provide better service with new ownership.
which part, new car sales, used cars, parts or service?

ive dealt with new car sales and parts and had great experiences. initially the parts guy ordered the wrong part in, but then bent over backwards to make it right and handed me a sizeable discount.

likewise, we bought a new Fiesta from them last March and found the service really good. Much Much better than the service we got at another Ford dealer on this side of town.
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash85
which part, new car sales, used cars, parts or service?

ive dealt with new car sales and parts and had great experiences. initially the parts guy ordered the wrong part in, but then bent over backwards to make it right and handed me a sizeable discount.

likewise, we bought a new Fiesta from them last March and found the service really good. Much Much better than the service we got at another Ford dealer on this side of town.

Service. Too many bad stories and one of them being the missus. Lucky Etheridge isn't that far away.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

I have had nothing but good experience with Knox ford service, their new car sales however is terrible. I know of several sales they have lost due to lack of interest. two were from me.
Jordan was great in spares, he left a few months ago now and I can't say I have good service since.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by music189
I went to president ford (Melbourne)in elsternwick a month or so ago and it was now called Brighton Ford owned buy people who own Blood toyota so salesman said will do anything for sales he said
forgot also that MenersBMW in Brighton ,part of Stillwells?? is now brighton BMW and the Brighton Jeep is now Brighton Jag, Rover

Jefferson Ford in Mentone is also Hyundai as well as Ford and Jefferson ford,South Melbourne is goneski as well, now a toyota dealer
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
I have had nothing but good experience with Knox ford service, their new car sales however is terrible. I know of several sales they have lost due to lack of interest. two were from me.
Quoted for truth...
They lost one from me back in May when they stuffed up our Focus, and then had the guts to accuse me of stuffing it up......I know what vehicle and options I wanted. I even proved it to them with a confirmed fax of the said vehicle with options listed.......idiots..

Knox CJD may also lose my Jeep order very soon too!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #19
mash85

Quote:
Originally Posted by music189
forgot also that MenersBMW in Brighton ,part of Stillwells?? is now brighton BMW and the Brighton Jeep is now Brighton Jag, Rover

Jefferson Ford in Mentone is also Hyundai as well as Ford and Jefferson ford,South Melbourne is goneski as well, now a toyota dealer
word on the street is that the Ford franchise was taken off the one in south melbourne as they were fitting non genuine parts to vehicles in for service and repairs to make more coin. alledgedly a car was involved in an accident and it was traced back to one of these non genuine parts failing.

dont know how true that is, but i've heard that same story from several people.
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #20
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash85
word on the street is that the Ford franchise was taken off the one in south melbourne as they were fitting non genuine parts to vehicles in for service and repairs to make more coin. alledgedly a car was involved in an accident and it was traced back to one of these non genuine parts failing.

dont know how true that is, but i've heard that same story from several people.
Jefferson ford got sued for selling counterfeit ford parts a few years ago. That was well publicised. Don't think it had anything to do with sth melb closing, Jefferson also own(ed) president and city ford as well.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ight=jefferson
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #21
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Citroen is changing its distributor from ATECO ,apprently
Old 09-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #22
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
SMG (Stillwell Motor Group) are in a bit of trouble from what I have heard.

Apparently have been losing money on a couple of sites for quite a while. The family and board have tried to assert control at some of the more successful sites to squeeze some more $$ out of them (particularly at some of their BMW franchises from what I hear).

Unfortunately this has led to the loss of some of the better staff at management/dealer principal level and as a result even their better dealerships are struggling if rumour is to be believed.

They spent millions on BMW in Oakleigh which is always empty when you drive past.

Knox Ford was always one of the more successful and bigger dealerships in Melbourne, particularly with the strong commercial side. Things mustn't be travelling to well if they have let it change hands.

Wonder who the new owners are?
Too true. As an employee there for nearly 5 years until last month SMG has been flying down hill with no brakes. SMG are still dumping a considerable money into Brighton Land Rover and Jag. They pent a ton on South Yarra, Brighton and Oakleigh BMW recently and Oakleigh has got to have the most laughable management as far as dealerships go. Anyone worth keeping has left for other companies.

Knox Ford has had some of the best customer service from sales to service imo. Nothing will change there except for less pressure to rort people I expect.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #23
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought I'd add this here, if anyone knows the 3 dealers on Nepean Hwy Elsternwick, Vic. Brighton Ford (formerly President Ford), Brighton Holden (formerly Summit and Reg hunt before that) and Brighton Toyota/Lexus, (all in Elsternwick really but anyways) well of the 3, Ford had the shortest outdoor sign since the holden dealership was completely rebuilt. Only last week I thought it was a sad reflection of the brand compared to the other 2..well low and behold yesterday the Ford sign was "raised" and it now proudly sits just as high as the others. Maybe things are turning around ;)
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #24
partzkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T
Too true. As an employee there for nearly 5 years until last month SMG has been flying down hill with no brakes. SMG are still dumping a considerable money into Brighton Land Rover and Jag. They pent a ton on South Yarra, Brighton and Oakleigh BMW recently and Oakleigh has got to have the most laughable management as far as dealerships go. Anyone worth keeping has left for other companies.

Knox Ford has had some of the best customer service from sales to service imo. Nothing will change there except for less pressure to rort people I expect.
Not sure about Knox, know of a few people to leave there already. also the other sites that got taken over.
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #25
scott_motors
Starter Motor

Etheridge Ford in Ringwood and Freeway Ford in Cranbourne are the only two dealers I can think of in the South Eastern suburbs that are still under family ownership and not owned by the big dealer groups. There are probably more but they don't spring to mind.

Not a Ford dealership but I went along Whitehorse Road Nunawading on the 901 Smartbus on the way home from work and noticed the Great Wall franchise at Nunawading (Eastside Great Wall) owned by the Jefferson group are gone after about only one year.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #26
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Being relocated I think, but Eastside is opening Eastside Opel there next month, taking some space from the Mitsubishi showroom
Old 12-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #27
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Service. Too many bad stories and one of them being the missus. Lucky Etheridge isn't that far away.
Strange I found the opposite when I brought my XR 50th in 2010 that Etheridge had to many cannot be bothered sales people including a sales man that had a cigarette in his hand approaching me outside and not giving a flyer for the 50th after I tested a car set my mind on not buying a car of them. Might be small issues but if you a going to spend nearly 40 grand on a car I expected better service.
Knox Ford really at that time did a better job at selling a car and kept me informed as the car was a Ford build order and a discount on the tow bar and reverse sensors. Both my daughter who has a XR5 Focus and myself have so far not had any problems with the Knox Ford dealership servicing dept which gives a 12 month roadside assist free with the service
Old 12-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
BlueFG2

I find etheridhe ford to be great, they always nice and helpful and are never too busy to talk, I buy all my cars from them only. But you might of just had to deal with some bad apples
BlueFG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post