Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Default Performance cars stolen during Perth home invasions

Two home invasions (allegedly by the same gang of up to six men) occurred in Perth suburbs over the weekend, and in both cases they were after performance cars. They arrived at the first house in a stolen Falcon, and demanded the keys to an XR6 Turbo parked outside and also took a handbag some "ornamental swords".

They drove to the location of the second home invasion where they went after the keys to a WRX parked on the front lawn of the victims house, which they then crashed a couple of streets away.

The fact that the cars were parked out front in both cases leads one to believe that these were opportunistic crimes targeting the performance cars. Apparently in one case the thugs even asked if the car (probably the XR6T) was turbocharged.

It's a shame that we have to lock everything away out of sight in this day and age because of these scum. I personally would never leave my GT parked out the front of my house overnight. I'm fortunate enough to have a fully alarmed closed in garage, and wouldn't have it any other way. I wouldn't have the car otherwise.

Thoughts?

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Default Re: Performance cars stolen during Perth home invasions

This is happening more and more often in Perth. Nearly every weekend you here about a home invasion where their target was the car.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately this is what society has become, if they want your car bad enough they will get it no matter where it is.

If someone put a gun in my face, they can have the car, thats what insurance is for, not worth getting hurt over
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Yes, but leaving the cars out the front in plain sight is making it "easier" for them. I guess some people have no choice.

I really hate to sound like I'm blaming the victims for their cars being stolen by these bottom-feeders.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
Old 23-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Home invasions to steal high performance cars are just another in the long and growing list of negatives conspiring against owning a car of that ilk.

It was bad enough having to worry about '20 cent jobs' from jealous cretins, or the extra unwanted attention from the law, including the growing inventory of speed cameras - but the threat to one's family in the sanctity of their own home looks to be the final straw for many that I know.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
05_ENFORCER

My GT is parked in a garage at night with a four legged back up.

Thieves are cordially invited

Old 23-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't be surprised if alot of performance cars are "stolen to order"...They probably have interstate buyers ready and waiting and the professionals can easily rebirth a car in no time.
Old 23-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcore
I wouldn't be surprised if alot of performance cars are "stolen to order"...They probably have interstate buyers ready and waiting and the professionals can easily rebirth a car in no time.
That is probably true but I wouldn't put modern GT's (edit: and XR's) or WRX's into a category of cars that are "stolen to order".

In this case the crimes were plainly opportunistic, and they certainly don't sound like professionals. They crashed the WRX after 5 minutes! Whether they target these cars purely for enjoyment, or to commit other crimes and give themselves every chance to outrun the cops, who knows?

It's a shame they don't have the capacity to think about the impact on the victims and their families.

Last edited by dawsman; 23-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 23-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the 5 years I've had my GT it's been parked outside at night only once

My partner recently moved house. Her new place has garaged parking for 2 cars . However because of the number of unpacked boxes there's not yet enough room for 2 cars to fit in there . Suffice it to say her BMW X5 stays outside in the driveway while the GT goes into the garage when i stay over . Although her car is probably worth twice as much as mine , my car gets twice the attention and more prone to be nicked IMO....I know of a number of people who have had their GT's/F6's/HSV's stolen when the car was locked in a garage and the thieves have actually broken into the house to steal the keys.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
This is happening more and more often in Perth. Nearly every weekend you here about a home invasion where their target was the car.

Ah not just perth..... Townsville has hadnearly 200cars stolen since january.... for apopulation of just 180,000 people.
QLDs new "no pursuit policy" has cause crime to skyrocket here and if you watch the Brisbane news ramraiding using stolen cars has increased dramatically since the new policy.

The little darlings here are as young as 12yrs old and actually do burnouts in front of police and in front of police stations on a regular basis. Stolen cars (not under pursuit) are driven sometimes in excess of 80kmh in suburban streets and 100kmh on some of the larger multilane lane roads.
These actions prove that these idiots will speed NO MATTER what.
Most of the cars a dumped/ burned or written off in crashes.

Last week two kids described as 12yrs old stole a Coles refrigerated delivery truck which was later found dumped.

The fact remains that these darling crims get away with it and nothing happens to them when they go to court. some offenders here have stolen a car within 30mins of getting bail!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I leave my GT parked out in the street every night. I live western Subs of Melb.

I pay my insurance so if the car goes, I am not to worried.

The reason why HSV/FPV/WRX and such go missing is for parts. Panel beaters (only a small few) will be involved in this. Most will take a tow truck and just take the car. They will do this because they can make huge profits in using stolen parts. Charge insurance company for a new part, but use the stolen cars part on an insurance car.
For example. Brand new BA GT front bar from Ford around $4000. (got a price from Ford for one about 2 weeks ago).

Repairers use a stolen bar, insurance pay out $4000 for the front bar.

The day I can not leave my car parked out the front of my house without fear of getting it stolen, is the day I hand my licence in. I have been parking out the front for the past 10 years with different cars. Most recently my BA GT for 2 years now.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is my biggest fear. I dont get how people can just walk into your house.

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I leave my GT parked out in the street every night. I live western Subs of Melb.

I pay my insurance so if the car goes, I am not to worried.

The reason why HSV/FPV/WRX and such go missing is for parts. Panel beaters (only a small few) will be involved in this. Most will take a tow truck and just take the car. They will do this because they can make huge profits in using stolen parts. Charge insurance company for a new part, but use the stolen cars part on an insurance car.
For example. Brand new BA GT front bar from Ford around $4000. (got a price from Ford for one about 2 weeks ago).

The day I can not leave my car parked out the front of my house without fear of getting it stolen, is the day I hand my licence in. I have been parking out the front for the past 10 years with different cars. Most recently my BA GT for 2 years now.
Thanks for the input. That's a massive risk those few panel beaters are taking, but as you say, probably a massive reward too.

Is your insurance premium much higher with parking on the street overnight?

The car is not my worry (as much as I love it). It's what the pr*cks will do to get it, knowing the owner and keys are probably in the house it's in front of...

Old 23-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape
Get a big dog, it's well worth the dog food

I don't know too many tough guys that would hang around with a snarling drooling Rottwieler X on their ****

Old 23-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Let's keep this on track without the need for profanity, or discrimination.
The people that perform these criminal acts are precisely that CRIMINALS. Coming into someones home invading their personal space, taking what has been worked hard to earn is quite a 'personal' crime, and as such should be dealt with accordingly.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
AU Mont
Banned

actual story a little more violent

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1226335441737

notice theres no description of the offenders? Political correctness gone stupid
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape

I used to be in the same boat as you dude.
But after being on the farm and being robbed like it was nothing as a young boy over and over again, that was eventually going to catch up to me leaving me with some sort of mental headcase issue now. As a result, nowa days as soon as I hear something I go running outside packing more heat then a commando in the middle east.
Its ugly and it gives me that uncomfortable feeling like it did when I was a youg boy, but sure as hell I refuse to be scared again!
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
actual story a little more violent

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1226335441737

notice theres no description of the offenders? Political correctness gone stupid
Yeah. I guess "demanded the keys" doesn't reflect how truly terrifying the situation must have been for the victims!

Old 23-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sad fact this sort of thing will only get worse.. the courts have only encouraged these creeps.. theyve never been held accountable for their actions..
in the event they do cop a touch up theyre fairly quick to play the victim...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #20
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

The law's always on the crims side. :(
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsman
Thanks for the input. That's a massive risk those few panel beaters are taking, but as you say, probably a massive reward too.

Is your insurance premium much higher with parking on the street overnight?

The car is not my worry (as much as I love it). It's what the pr*cks will do to get it, knowing the owner and keys are probably in the house it's in front of...

It was an insurance condition that my car be garaged - not a carport, not a communal secure car park, but garaged with 4 walls and locked
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 weekends ago (I am in Perth too), someone walked up to my EB GT parked in my carport, and I assume tried opening the door. The car was looked and alarm armed as always, and they set the alarm off. My wife and I woke to the alarm and loud footsteps as the thug ran off! I assume they were just checking to see if the car was unlocked to steal some loose change or something, as a New Hyundai would be quicker than an old EB! Damn school holidays!
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #23
something wrong
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled

After 10yrs in the auto industry doing 1000's of Ford and BMW smash quotes and orders, I cannot think of once selling a steering wheel air bag or dash airbag, let alone seat belts. But we did sell the seat belt pre-tensioners

I also used to have a deal with alot of panel eater where i would charge and credit the Bonnets as i got sick of ordering them in sending them out and having them returned a couple of days later, so i just asked them to tell me what they want and what they only need to see on the invoice.
something wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On my to work each morning I see a very nice black GS parked in the drive right near the foot path in plain sight on a busy street.
"Hello car thieves, break into this house and get the keys to my nice car".

It's very sad that we cant do that, but if you value your and your family's safety, dont advertise the fact, these scum will have no second thought for belting you with a brick or lump of wood. Because IF they get caught they wont get any real penalty.

All I'm saying is be very careful and call me paranoid, but if you own a performance car, check you're not being followed home at night.
Old 23-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #25
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
On my to work each morning I see a very nice black GS parked in the drive right near the foot path in plain sight on a busy street.
"Hello car thieves, break into this house and get the keys to my nice car".

It's very sad that we cant do that, but if you value your and your family's safety, dont advertise the fact, these scum will have no second thought for belting you with a brick or lump of wood. Because IF they get caught they wont get any real penalty.

All I'm saying is be very careful and call me paranoid, but if you own a performance car, check you're not being followed home at night.

Very funny you should say that Jay.

For years Ive been called paranoid for silly little things. But there is a mad method behind my madness.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #26
EL97
Former owner, still a fan

This seems to be an increasing problem in Perth, just by word of mouth you hear a lot of stories. My brother was targeted by bikies on his way home from work only last week. He passed a pack of them on the freeway, only to have one speed up and follow him, I assume to find where the car was located. My brother eventually caught onto it, and tried to lose him down quieter streets, however was still being followed. He had absolutely cane it to get away from the biker. He won't be taking that car to work again.
EL97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #27
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nothing like a bit of chopped hand to sort thieves out.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #28
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Granted my car isn't really "performance" as engine wise it's stock as a rock. I've recently moved into a new house with a garage but before that I wasn't lucky enough to have one to park my car in. Used to worry all the time about it being out the front. Not about it being stolen as its bright bloody yellow and stands out like dogs balls being the only yellow xr8 in town. I was more worried about it being hurt.
Found a beer glass from the pub under the back tire once. About 10 seconds after I reversed over it luckily didnt pop the tire but god I was in a dirty mood that weekend.

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #29
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87
Found a beer glass from the pub under the back tire once. About 10 seconds after I reversed over it luckily didnt pop the tire but god I was in a dirty mood that weekend.
you drive over it and hear the glass breaking so you stop and get out to look. Someone is waiting nearby jumps in while your looking outside...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #30
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That didn't happen to me no. Just some drunk ***** thinking it would be funny

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post