Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
topgear
The Stig

Default Moving to Brisbane

Hello everyone, Am moving to Brisbane soon and I need some advise and suggestions. My work will be in the city so am wondering which suburbs would be good to move in that are not super expensive, safe and has good public transport. I appreciate all your help.

topgear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default Re: Moving to Brisbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear
Hello everyone, Am moving to Brisbane soon and I need some advise and suggestions. My work will be in the city so am wondering which suburbs would be good to move in that are not super expensive, safe and has good public transport. I appreciate all your help.
See bolded, and laugh your head off. If you want good public transport don't move to QLD.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Asking which suburb in Brisbane is fraught with danger. We have the northside vs southside with makes Ford vs Holden seem tame.

I'm in Morayfield (4505,4506) which has a large demographic from cheap houses to expensive acreage. Houses on bigger blocks are more common in this area as it use to be primarily acerage before the influx of housing development.

I think you will need something on the train line if you are commuting into the city.

For northside look at Bray Park, Petrie, Narangba, Morayfield, Caboolture, Burpengary. Redcliffe is beautiful but public transport to the city sucks.

Shorncliffe and Sandgate are worth a look too.

Last edited by cs123; 01-04-2012 at 09:16 AM.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Southside of Brisbane is where it's at, dont move northside they have 2 heads over there....
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Eight mile plains or thereabouts is pretty good - we have friends who live around that area, and it's close to the Gold Coast freeway, as well as the city freeways, trains etc.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATT2
Southside of Brisbane is where it's at, dont move northside they have 2 heads over there....
But we have all our teeth......
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The actual name for the Brisbane River is the Average River.

This is because on the south side you are below average........

Actually come to think of it, that applies to all of NSW & VIC as well
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Scott

Just pick a suburb within 7-8km of the city and you'll do fine. I'm on the North Side and fine the commute a doddle, Brisbane is an easy place to get around but if you start heading out too far it turns into Sydney and Melbourne peak hour pretty quick.

I know everything is relative, but there are some great buys in close to the city at the moment, renting... not so much. Especially South Side.

I know people who had to bid for their rental on the South Side and it aint too pretty atm.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The actual name for the Brisbane River is the Average River.

This is because on the south side you are below average........

Actually come to think of it, that applies to all of NSW & VIC as well
My school teacher was from Brisbane so I guess that is where the "average" in me came from!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Southside is definately easier to travel around, we have the M1 etc.

Depends how much you have to spend. I just bought a new place at Carina and we love it, minutes from the city and its a quiet area, still reasonably priced, low crime (GT insurance cut in half), and the soon to be biggest Westfield in Brisbane up the road!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
topgear
The Stig

Thanks for all suggestions guys. Thats very useful information. I have a some useful information now to start my research.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
See bolded, and laugh your head off. If you want good public transport don't move to QLD.
You're having a laugh right? The guy wants to move close to the city. If you can't get around on public transport in Brisbane, you should hand your go card in.

Though the price of it all is another matter entirely.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
But we have all our teeth......
Teeth? we don't need no damn teeth....
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #14
Love My Ford
Starter Motor

Quote:
The Gap is where you want to live. Don't make the mistake of going to a suburb on the outskirts of the CBD like Ashgrove or Bardon, because the bus from The Gap starts there, fills up there, and then in the morning drives past the bus stops full of people in Red Hill, Ashgrove, Bardon, Paddington, etc.

Its hilarious, unless you are a sad sap like me who lives in one of those suburbs :(
Love My Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
You're having a laugh right? The guy wants to move close to the city. If you can't get around on public transport in Brisbane, you should hand your go card in.

Though the price of it all is another matter entirely.
Not saying it's bloody impossible to use the system, quite the opposite. What I'm having a laugh at is serviceability and cost.

Also southside I would move to Eight Mile Plains however be prepared to pay for it too. Rent is not cheap and buying is not much better.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Asking which suburb in Brisbane is fraught with danger. We have the northside vs southside with makes Ford vs Holden seem tame.

I'm in Morayfield (4505,4506) which has a large demographic from cheap houses to expensive acreage. Houses on bigger blocks are more common in this area as it use to be primarily acerage before the influx of housing development.

I think you will need something on the train line if you are commuting into the city.

For northside look at Bray Park, Petrie, Narangba, Morayfield, Caboolture, Burpengary. Redcliffe is beautiful but public transport to the city sucks.

Shorncliffe and Sandgate are worth a look too.
Being an EX caboolture shire lad,it is a nice area to live, well some parts are
The commute to brissie CBD will see you on the road at least 45 mins to an hour ,each way (in and out)
The rents ,well that depends on the location, the land size in the lower class area or the better class area
Caboolture shire is now its own satellite city, has all amenenities but an absolute rabbit woren
The closer to the heart of brissie and the closer to the public transport system usually the dearer the rents
Whats the average rents now, $400 ish a week
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to live in Elimbah (just outside Caboolture) and the area is bueatiful has lots of land development taking place houses are on the cheaper side and you'll be on acreage and its also got a train station (Nambour Line--- means express train to work and back) and is just 10 minutes from caboolture and half an hour from Sunny Coast.
thats my 0.2c worth!!
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just look along the train lines , the buses are not wonderful more than a couple of K out , I assume it's city central , biggest thing is getting anywhere on the public system means going in and taking something else out if you try to travel east/west
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I should also add that public parking in the Brisbane CBD is expensive. So if at all possible use public transport.

Forget driving. It's a PIA and won't be getting better anytime soon.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #20
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Moving to Brisbane

You can't beat the Centenary suburbs (Jindalee, Middle park etc) on the south west side of the city. It has everything you need. Good shops, good public transport, both bus and Train nearby. Better class of people live here too. Good freeway road links to the City, Ipswich & the Gold Coast too. Not only that it is actually inside the city boundaries too unlike Caboolture which is miles outside the city boundaries.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #21
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike
You can't beat the Centenary suburbs (Jindalee, Middle park etc) on the south west side of the city. It has everything you need. Good shops, good public transport, both bus and Train nearby. Better class of people live here too. Good freeway road links to the City, Ipswich & the Gold Coast too. Not only that it is actually inside the city boundaries too unlike Caboolture which is miles outside the city boundaries.

While I'm not from Brisbane, I have to agree on Middle Park. We have friends there and when we last visited them the area seemed nice and the commute to the city was fairly quick
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Be careful alot of the south west flooded last year.... In particular Jindalee!!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #23
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Be careful alot of the south west flooded last year.... In particular Jindalee!!
Was going to say. You get to travel by canoe to work every so often.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
CFOUR
The Destroyer

To hell with Brisbane commute from the gold coast.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
Scott

^^ Makes for a pretty quick trip when you're trying to outrun the gunfire.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #26
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
Along with ever other person that lives in the Gold Coast; no offence but thats a ****** idea (I cummute from GC to Bris every day)!

If you want close to the city, and good public transport I would be looking at Tarragindi, Yeronga, Fairfield, Yerongpilly, Bulimba, Cooparoo, Morningside, Kelvin Grove, Alderley, Windsor, Wilston, Milton, Auchenflower. All are within spitting distance of the city, ralitively close to public transport and depending on what you are looking for it is possible to find reasonably affordable accomodation.

If being out and about in the city, eating out, ease of getting around is your thing these suburbs should do you well. Moving further out really hampers your ability to get around on infrequent and unreliable public transport, and overly congested freeways.

Steer clear of most parts of Logan shire, although some parts of it are ok it has quite a bad reputation... I would also steer clear of the Gold Coast as it really has nothing other than canals, and the odd beach (none of which are any good) - if you value your family time dont move here as you'll spend a bulk of your week commuting on the forementioned infrequent and unreliable public transport and overly congested freeways!
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #27
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
^^ Makes for a pretty quick trip when you're trying to outrun the gunfire.
Quoted for truth!!!!
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

Quote:
If you start work at 4am and finish at 12 maybe. Between 7-9.30 every morning is a night mare on that highwaym is say from everyone is Springfield and Ipswich going to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire

Steer clear of most parts of Logan shire, although some parts of it are ok it has quite a bad reputation... I would also steer clear of the Gold Coast as it really has nothing other than canals, and the odd beach (none of which are any good) - if you value your family time dont move here as you'll spend a bulk of your week commuting on the forementioned infrequent and unreliable public transport and overly congested freeways!

I have noticed that Logan isn't as bad as used to be. Most of the housing commission house have/are being sold off cheap. So mostly young/first home buyers,

I'd never move to spring field,

All depends if you want a house/unit/town house etc

I'm a carpet cleaner and I go all over Brisbane. Every suburb has its pros and cons.

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #29
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
Along with ever other person that lives in the Gold Coast; no offence but thats a ****** idea (I cummute from GC to Bris every day)!
I enjoy my commute, ice coffee (zaraffas), A/C and music in a Ford its a great way to start the day.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #30
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I have ived on the south side, north side, west side and gold coast. I would be looking at the north side from Dakabin to Elimbah near the train line. Commuting to the city on the train isnt that bad. Drving on the other hand is a different story due to all the road work.

Personally I would be looking at Morayfield area. Its midway to the Sunshine coast or Brisbane and if you have the urge to go to the Gold coast it isnt really that bad of a drive.

Only bad thing about the north side is buses. You can get a bus from Brisbane north but you will only get as far as Strathpine. On the south side the buses are much easier to get but they do seem to take forever to get anywhere.

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post