Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 31-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Diesel Manual Fiestas

What are owners experiences of these cars? Are they holding together nicely, reliable, performing well etc etc.
Appreciate any comments.

kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Foobar
Irregular Member

Default Re: Diesel Manual Fiestas

I've had my WT LX TDCi since Feb 2011 and it's been a pleasure to drive, amazing economy without sacrificing performance.

I'm not exactly small, 6 foot and over 115Kg's, I occasionally ferry around 3 additional people, all of which are, let's say - big boned as well - and the car doesn't seem to care, just goes.

The only annoyance I can think of is a squeak coming from the drivers seat base, most likely solvable but I haven't bothered looking. I did mention it for the 1500K service, they said they oiled something or the other, wasn't really listening - whatever they did (or didn't do) didn't work.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks thats good feedback as I,m 6'2'' and 95kg on a good day.
Whats the handling and braking like?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Absolutely brilliant little cars. By far my pick of the entire light/small car class. Handling is brilliant, neutral in every respect. So much grip as well. The steering is direct and communicative despite being electric. How much can I rave about this car? I don't own one, but they are truly a standout.

Braking is average though.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Boss 08

My daughter brought one 4 weeks ago.....sar far so good, I've had a drive and I'm a big fan, good power and the daughter is stoked with the economy.

She paid a 4 grand premium for tdci engine, which dosn't bother her as she intends to hang on to it for at least 10 years.

Mastro
Boss 08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Foobar
Irregular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Thanks thats good feedback as I,m 6'2'' and 95kg on a good day. Whats the handling and braking like?
Handling is stellar, even with a few bargearses on board. Steering is light but precise, electric assist in the WT but I can still feel everything I need to through the wheel which was a surprise. I didn't think I was going to like the electric steering but now I wouldn't want a (modern) car that didn't have it.

I don't have any problems at all with the brakes, car pulls up quickly and safely. I've done one emergency stop and the car stopped very well indeed. Drums on the back which I was a tad annoyed with at first but now I'm not at all concerned.

Go take one for a test drive, let us know what you think.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

When my petrol WS was in for extensive warranty repairs I was loaned a WS Econetic for over a month. Personally I much prefer the rev happy nature of the petrol over the diesel. The diesel's torque made it more of a cruiser, whereas the petrol is the one to buy to maximise the great chassis. In the Econetic try as I might, I couldn't drop the fuel use to below 4.1 (which is still good but not near the claimed 3.7 at the time) and I usually get between 5.5 - 6 for the petrol so there's no huge difference in fuel usage. I do not sit in peak hour traffic crawls though, and do a lot of open road running. The petrol is noticably quicker than the diesel.

Whatever Fez you get I'd reccommend putting 17s on as it makes the handling even better with minimum sacrifice of ride comfort.

Brakes can be dramatically improved by replacing the horrid OEM rotors and pads (they lasted me only 40K anyways, rotors included) with Bendix pads and any half decent Brake Shop rotor - I think I've got a variation of an rda rotor - supplied/fitted at a brake shop for $270 (a third of Ford's cost to replace the brakes with the same Ford rubbish). Much better performance, pedal feel (and durability) is the result. Why they aren't like this from factory? Dollars obviously.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
When my petrol WS was in for extensive warranty repairs I was loaned a WS Econetic for over a month. Personally I much prefer the rev happy nature of the petrol over the diesel. The diesel's torque made it more of a cruiser, whereas the petrol is the one to buy to maximise the great chassis. In the Econetic try as I might, I couldn't drop the fuel use to below 4.1 (which is still good but not near the claimed 3.7 at the time) and I usually get between 5.5 - 6 for the petrol so there's no huge difference in fuel usage. I do not sit in peak hour traffic crawls though, and do a lot of open road running. The petrol is noticably quicker than the diesel.

Whatever Fez you get I'd reccommend putting 17s on as it makes the handling even better with minimum sacrifice of ride comfort.

Brakes can be dramatically improved by replacing the horrid OEM rotors and pads (they lasted me only 40K anyways, rotors included) with Bendix pads and any half decent Brake Shop rotor - I think I've got a variation of an rda rotor - supplied/fitted at a brake shop for $270 (a third of Ford's cost to replace the brakes with the same Ford rubbish). Much better performance, pedal feel (and durability) is the result. Why they aren't like this from factory? Dollars obviously.
i suspect little diesels need to be driven just like a big truck , you don`t rev the bits of them , you just rev it enough till you have enough road speed to move into the next gear, basically you lug the crap out of them, i did see a road test where they actually exceeded the fuel specs by ford, but as you say not as much fun driving them like a granny all all the time.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
Caydus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar
The only annoyance I can think of is a squeak coming from the drivers seat base, most likely solvable but I haven't bothered looking. I did mention it for the 1500K service, they said they oiled something or the other, wasn't really listening - whatever they did (or didn't do) didn't work.
I'm of similar dimensions to you too and i have noticed the squeak too. I just moved the driver seat ahead one notch and it disappeared.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

probably find a bit of spray lube on the runners will quieten them up.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
simonmichael90
LZ Titanium Focus

I have had my WS Econetic since Dec09, excellent little car, great handling and economy. I average 4.5 L/100kms, which is mainly city driving. I did add some weight buy getting a steel spare wheel etc rather than the ridiculous tyre repair kit that came with it.
You cannot legally put 17" wheels on an Econetic as you are only able to go 2 sizes up from original. Eg 14" orig.
I do find the "green" low rolling resistance tyres pretty ordinary in wet weather, as they skid even with the ABS.
Great torque, allowing for cruising along in 5th at speeds above 60km/h.
simonmichael90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many Kms have you put on it SM90?
Old 14-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
simonmichael90
LZ Titanium Focus

Have only done 20k, as I travel overseas a far bit each year.
simonmichael90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmichael90
You cannot legally put 17" wheels on an Econetic as you are only able to go 2 sizes up from original. Eg 14" orig. I do find the "green" low rolling resistance tyres pretty ordinary in wet weather, as they skid even with the ABS.
You can put up to 18 inch wheels on any Fiesta. This is due to the fact that the Zetec rides on 16 inches. Legally, this affects the entire Fez range, not just the Zetec.

This is why, for example, Holden Dealers can sell bodykitted base model Omegas with 20 inch wheels legally, because other versions of the Commodore have at least 18 inches as standard.

Mind, I've got 17" on my WS CL and while giving brilliant handling the ride does suffer a little on Sydney's roads - for a daily drive I'd keep at no bigger than 16. Putting 18s on would make the thing look like a moon buggy....

And yes, having driven an Econetic loan car while my car was in for extensive rust repairs under warranty, I can attest to the general carpness of the eco tyres... it renders the excellent chasis useless for bugger all fuel savings.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

In Victoria, I'm sure its 25mm above factory rolling diameter of the tyre is the maximum increase allowed.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
JKL

Hi

Have a little fiesta diesel, first time purchase of a small car and it goes well, done about 22k now - however it has developed a steering knock when turning the wheel while stopped - only 2000km ago anyone else expereinced this issue and know what it is?? Other than that a great little car

jason
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Take it back to the dealer and get them to look at it. It could be a range of things and should be covered under warranty unless it's low power steering fluid which I don't think it would be.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post