Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default NSW; Someone must have asked RMS (RTA) to look at 120-130km/h

Hume Highway, Southern Region NSW:
Quote:
The request to review and increase the 110km/h speed limit falls beyond the scope of the NSW Speed Zoning Guidelines as 110km/h is the maximum permissible posted speed limit. Consequently, RMS has not carried out a speed zone review of the 110km/h sections along the Hume and Federal highways.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...aries.pdf#T012
(Quotes review No. 11).

Reference to the 'maximum permissible posted speed limit" is not based in any NSW Act or Regulation, therefore, the statement lacks necessary parliamentary backing. The view of the sitting government is that it can post as high as it desires or requires, within reason of course.

RMS rely on the 'scope' of their internal 'speed management' document, "The NSW Speed Zoning Guidelines". The guideline of itself, up to the most recent edition maintains '110km/h' as a maximum signposed limit for NSW.

Well then, work will begin to allow the guidelines to recognise 120 and 130km/h as signposted maximums for this state.

NSW derestriction sigs are to be removed, of course, and has been the case for over a decade now. They can only be used according to their original UN legal contracted meaning and would have to be re-included in an updated Guideline.

How slow things turn in this states agencies. Rev up time soon I expect.

I have referenced relevant folk to this Commonwealth item, previously mentioned here in discussion:-
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...l_Speed_2.aspx

The idea being to have NSW not drag its feet and thus begin the task of seriously studying the ATSB proposal. Other state roads agencies staffers might like to get on with this. AUSROADS ditto.

ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 
Default Re: NSW; Someone must have asked RMS (RTA) to look at 120-130km/h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Hume Highway, Southern Region NSW:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...aries.pdf#T012
(Quotes review No. 11).

Reference to the 'maximum permissible posted speed limit" is not based in any NSW Act or Regulation, therefore, the statement lacks necessary parliamentary backing. The view of the sitting government is that it can post as high as it desires or requires, within reason of course.

RMS rely on the 'scope' of their internal 'speed management' document, "The NSW Speed Zoning Guidelines". The guideline of itself, up to the most recent edition maintains '110km/h' as a maximum signposed limit for NSW.

Well then, work will begin to allow the guidelines to recognise 120 and 130km/h as signposted maximums for this state.

NSW derestriction sigs are to be removed, of course, and has been the case for over a decade now. They can only be used according to their original UN legal contracted meaning and would have to be re-included in an updated Guideline.

How slow things turn in this states agencies. Rev up time soon I expect.

I have referenced relevant folk to this Commonwealth item, previously mentioned here in discussion:-
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...l_Speed_2.aspx

The idea being to have NSW not drag its feet and thus begin the task of seriously studying the ATSB proposal. Other state roads agencies staffers might like to get on with this. AUSROADS ditto.
Love your posts Keep Left. Thanks for sharing.

I certainly agree with your statement of How slow things turn in this states agencies. Rev up time soon I expect. after reading the date on the CR216 Rural Speed study. ie 1/1/2003.

When you say that work will begin to allow guidelines to recognise 120 or 130kmh limits, is that to say that yourself / other like minded people and organisations are pushing for it? Or is it the Roads Minister looking to make it happen?

What is the likelihood of this happening now that the Libs/Nationals are in power in NSW. Several stretches of roads have already been revised. Some up and some down. Good to see O'Farrell dismissing the 24hr school zone too.

I quite agree with the overall summary from that CR216. Essentially 120-130 is generally, but not always optimum speed for cars and LCV. Trucks are pretty much 100 and some cases less.

I think the Variable Speed Limits are great. I think it is Arizona which has a 'reasonable and prudent' limit during the day which is about 100mph in a maintained vehicle during the daylight and 60-70mph at night.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought it was an odd number to pick when Katter's Party wanted to introduce a 125kmh limit - but reading that report it appears that is the optimum speed limit for cars.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I thought it was an odd number to pick when Katter's Party wanted to introduce a 125kmh limit - but reading that report it appears that is the optimum speed limit for cars.

Correct yes, Im sure you will find that all aussie built cars are built to be as efficent as possible around 100/110kmh. Diff ratios, fuel mixtures, etc... not to mention windscreen wipers! (recall that when the Commodore Stateman was sent to the UAE (I think?) they had to upgrade the wipers so they would work at speeds up to 200kmh.....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So is derestricted zones coming back ????
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

110 is only they highest allowed speed because they made it that. They could always change it. A few 120 and 130 zones would be nice.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
110 is only they highest allowed speed because they made it that. They could always change it. A few 120 and 130 zones would be nice.
Recently on the Hume I noticed many cars were sitting on 120 to 130 it would be good if they brought in the limit so people could just travel at that speed without stressing about getting a ticket.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They will need to modify the road rules (ARR section 130) that only require drivers to keep out of the right lane unless overtaking, not necessarily keep to the far left lane. The present situation in the case of a 3 or more lane carriageway is that a person can be doing 80 in the centre lane while people pass him at 130 on either side (a la Sydney F3, Gold Coast motorway). This is quite dangerous and contrary to best practice for high speed driving.

The rule should be that drivers should be in the absolute left lane unless overtaking. This also allows for graduated overtaking speeds - someone can use the centre lane to pass someone in the left lane while they can still be overtaken in the right lane by someone going even faster.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

adelaide has removed 110k zones from country roads :/ now only highways can go 110 its a load of crap... its worse driving at these slower speeds, its quite draining
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Recently on the Hume I noticed many cars were sitting on 120 to 130 it would be good if they brought in the limit so people could just travel at that speed without stressing about getting a ticket.
i agree, since the road is straight and flat freeway. although last time i was driving it, everyone was sitting on 110.

roads around here will never be maintained well enough to go over 100.