Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
fernsantos

Default AU losing water

I have a fairmont Ghia i6.recently I have to top up the water reservoir every 3-4 days.i can't see any water on the ground after I have been driving and the temperature is normal.
Any help would be great

fernsantos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: AU losing water

Check you're heater tap, its under the inlet manifold. Also check you're motor oil and under the oil filler cap - try and rule out headgasket probs asap.

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Try a new header tank cap, could be pushing a little coolant out when it builds up pressure.
Old 16-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you don`t find the problem get the cooling system pressure tested, most decent work shops or radiator places can do it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
webbiegareth

Ours was like that, couldn't see a leak but it was constantly using coolant... it was the radiator cap. They're only $10, buy one and see if it helps
webbiegareth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
sbcb
BA Xr8

I've also had 2 AU's in the past that have done this to me both times a pressure test show the radiator as the problem but the leak was small enough that it wasn't dropping onto the ground.
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Check under the carpet in the passenger footwell your heater core might be leaking
Old 20-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
webbiegareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcb
I've also had 2 AU's in the past that have done this to me both times a pressure test show the radiator as the problem but the leak was small enough that it wasn't dropping onto the ground.
Did you see a white mark where it was leaking though? (the evaporated coolant stains?)
webbiegareth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sbcb is right i had the same problem .top radiator corners leak
david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
sbcb
BA Xr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbiegareth
Did you see a white mark where it was leaking though? (the evaporated coolant stains?)
Once the plastic cover (fan) removed it became more obvious.
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any luck with finding the leak?

If you're topping up I would guess you might be putting in demineralised or distilled water? You don't want to do this for too long as it will diminish the coolant's anti corrosion agents. I had a minor leak (topup every couple of months) and ended up with a tank that was basically demin only water... after maybe a year or 18 months of this one of the welch plugs rusted through. It was NOT fun to replace them, and I only did one side, so the others could still go at any time.

After that I put in the proper coolant, and I was able to see there were about 4 other minor leaks. Drove me mad for a while, but at least the bright green colour makes it easy to spot the source.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
fernsantos

Hi
Just wanted to give u guys an update the leak was coming from the seal on the thermostat.
It was a very small leak i bought a new radiator cap as well mine was an original one and it failed the presure test.

Thanks for everyones input.
fernsantos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah whenever i do thermostats i do a new gasket and some permatex super blue gasket goo
no water's escapin' from my thermostat housing!