Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Uncle Tone
Ploppy pants

Default What would have saved the Falcon?

Hello,

We all know that in a couple of years the Falcon will be killed off :(

I was discussing this with a few mates the other day: Acknowledging the fact that there is less demand for large, thirsty (comparatively) traditional Aussie cars, what would have saved the Falcon and its derivatives? What would have kept them around?

What about this: A retro-throwback style body shape, as per the Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro? Would that have made the car more appealing and desirable? It seems to have worked for those three.

What do you think? A styling throwback to the (arguably) XA-XB glory days inside and out? A LWB model for the Luxury brigade? A coupe?

I know its all a pipe dream, but its still entertaining to think about!

Sorry if this idea has been posted before, I'm new

Old 25-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What would have saved the Falcon?

It has been posted before, and if you checked maybe 1 or 2 pages back, you'll see another 500 threads about the Falcon being dead or maybe dead or possibly new or dead but new but redeveloped reviving dead?!?!?!

The fact of the matter is, Ford AU hasn't confirmed the death of the Falcon, if anything they are boosting things up with EB and EcoLPI.
All this crap is just media scaremongering, I believe the same has happened before in past decades with the Falcon.

As much as I would love some kind of Ford Fusion design, or mixtures of the new Focus design inbuilt into the next Falcon, what we have right now is what we get, and what a hell of a package for the money. I know if I had the $$$ I'd be snapping myself up a fully optioned MkII FG in a flash because it's the best Falcon to date IMO, and it's only going to get better...
Old 25-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive found this really cool site that may help you out..

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/build-bridge-p1.html
Old 25-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
RAPID_BA
Banned

The price of fuel is killing the falcon.

People will always need the size but they dont need 200kw.

The medium cars have grown up in size, but offer a big 4 cylinder with around 130kw. The kicker is the $10k differential in price. Thats enough for most families and businesses.

Further to that car enthusiasts are a dying breed, most dont know what a xa or xb coupe is
Old 25-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

If the BA hadn't been a huge regression from the AU regarding vehicle quality, the Falcon would be in a much better position. People still remember their bad experiences from the BA days, and as a result, they look elsewhere when buying a new car. If the BA was built to the standard of the AU, the outlook would be slightly different. Buyers don't really care about fuel efficiency; they want a reliable product which doesn't chew through diff bushes. The unfortunate thing is that nothing's really changed between 2002 and 2012, and that's one reason why I (and I'm sure many others) won't buy a new Falcon. As far as I'm concerned, the BA should never have happened.

There's that, and the fact that Ford's advertising is rather lacking compared to Holden's.
Old 25-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Falcons not dead yet!

And fuel price isn't killing cars, its the fact that the imports have more bang for buck.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 25-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fuel Price isnt killing the falcon ffs.

Its making them more efficient which is great.
Old 25-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tone
We all know that in a couple of years the Falcon will be killed off :(
Firstly, I hear that the Commodore is also on the way out.

Secondly, I never thought I'd see you venture off LS1, these Fords don't have MAF sensors!

Jokes aside, having owned both Holdens and Fords, the big issue is that they're ... well... BIG.

I work in the CBD and if I were the 'average commuter' I'd take the little VW we have as a company car over the Holdens and Fords anyday.

Compact, easy to park, load it up with all sorts of junk, good on fuel, turbo gives it a bucket load of get up and go. For the city or the 'average' commuter it's an all in one package.

Some of us however, are just born stupid and like to hear the sound of dollars rolling out of the exhaust pipe as we drive off from the servo
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 25-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
If the BA hadn't been a huge regression from the AU regarding vehicle quality, the Falcon would be in a much better position. People still remember their bad experiences from the BA days, and as a result, they look elsewhere when buying a new car. If the BA was built to the standard of the AU, the outlook would be slightly different. Buyers don't really care about fuel efficiency; they want a reliable product which doesn't chew through diff bushes. The unfortunate thing is that nothing's really changed between 2002 and 2012, and that's one reason why I (and I'm sure many others) won't buy a new Falcon. As far as I'm concerned, the BA should never have happened.

There's that, and the fact that Ford's advertising is rather lacking compared to Holden's.
I think they look elsewhere BECAUSE of the AU, not because the Falcon is no longer like it
Old 25-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am wondering what will happen to spare parts once the falcon is inevitably discontinued, if they go through the roof in 4-5years time i might sell mine and get something thats small and turbo'd
Old 25-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125GO
I think they look elsewhere BECAUSE of the AU, not because the Falcon is no longer like it
No, the AU was better quality...

But, AU haters gonna Hate.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 25-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

alloy block

slightly short and less wide

bingo!
Old 25-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
Djrystofer

Money, lots of money.
Old 25-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6
Some of us however, are just born stupid and like to hear the sound of dollars rolling out of the exhaust pipe as we drive off from the servo
Amen ..

Went to the local dealer yesterday to extend the factory warranty on the FG to match the lease period, and said to the guy there how I was hoping the Falcon would hold out long enough for us to get one more before they shut up shop .. He didn't seem particularly concerned, nor interested in the Falcons fate. If people selling them don't care, then probably not much that could be done ..
Old 25-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What FORD needs is to bring the Falcon into 2012..transplant the Mondeo Zetec/Titanium electronics/mechanicals into the Falcon and keep the price the same..
Basically ,the Falcon hasn't been a leap forward in tech. When I compare it to my Canadian cousins Explorer, its 10 years behind. Some ,on here won;t agree. But facts must be faced, Falcon is a dinosaur compared to Ford UK and USA models.
Now, you can call me negative again....
Old 25-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I had a though about what the main or basic engine should be and it depends on which way Ford decides to swing Falcon.

These are hypotheticals only:

1) if Ford kept local I-6, it would probably have to become much smaller capacity and definitely Ecoboost.
I have visions of an I-6 Ecoboost engine in the 2.3 to 2.7 region producing between 225-250 Kw and 400 - 450 nm.
It could probably be produced in two power levels and also EcoLPI.

2) If Ford were to punt for import engines, I would choose the EB 2.0 I-4 and a 4.0 litre version of the 5.0 Coyote.
Those two engines would give Ford a very broad spectrum of buyers to court.
The 2.0 Ecoboost could be offered as XT, XR an a G series covering buyers in that niche
while the 4.0 V8 producing 250 Kw and 430 nm would be enough for a very basic XR8, G8 and G8E
Leaving FPV unfettered to continue with way more powerful versions.

*Both of the above scenarios are unlikely as Ford has other more capable engines on the drawing board
but sometimes it does our souls good to thrash out ideas be they good or not so good as a way of allowing
us to grow mentally and understand the dilemma facing product planners and how they capture the best
demographics of buyers for a given vehicle envelope.
Old 25-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
SVR73
Mr Polish

the price of fuel is not that bad. I paid $1.27 to 130 the past few weeks
if fuel prices ever get to the cost of milk, then I would agree with you that fuel is expensive
Old 25-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats why i like the Falcon, its simple and fun to drive.

Sure its a big lumbering dinosaw but its bulletproof.
Old 25-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

an absolute nugget of wisdom right there.......
Old 25-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

I think I have a way to save the Falcon in a few easy steps. It doesn't involve the introduction of a coupe or wagon; they're just a few guidelines which I believe might increase Falcon sales a little. I know I'd buy one.

* The next generation Falcon should be 250kg lighter; a throwback to the AU days. This will make the car feel less cumbersome to the average driver.
* It should be styled by the same mob that styles the European Fords. Those cars are stellar in both interior and exterior styling (especially the Fiesta sedan IMO).
* Get rid of the idiotic fly-by-wire and reintroduce a cable operated throttle. This will open up the enthusiast market; there are individuals who will only buy a car without fly-by-wire.
* Get rid of Control Blade IRS and reintroduce the AU double wishbone IRS. This should be done for both reliability reasons (for the average buyer) and handling reasons (for the enthusiast).
* Up the interior quality to AU levels. Buyers place a large amount of consideration on interior quality, and the ill-fitting passenger frontal airbag cover won't cut it. Don't get me started on the leather trim. Ford used to be able to do it, why not now?
* Harden the seats a little (to AU standards). It seems as if everyone I talk to believes that FG seats are too soft.
* Forget Ford Sync or cumbersome touch screens. Put the Mondeo's tech package and sound system into the Falcon. Falcon buyers deserve quality sound (this hasn't been available since BA).
* Make the thing steer like a Mondeo. I have no idea how it would be done, as I'm no engineer, but I'd love to see it happen. That particular car has superb steering feel. If this isn't possible, make the car steer like an AU.
* Provide a manual transmission option across the range. Fair enough, most drivers in Australia prefer automatic cars, but some enthusiasts (such as myself) will only ever buy a car equipped with a manual transmission. In the FG, you can't even get a manual XT! Speaking of which, Ford, when are you going to import a manual Mondeo? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

People won't buy new cars if they feel that their 1998 model drives better and is better built. Ford of Australia, it's time to forget the BA ever happened and move forward with the Falcon.
Old 25-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:

There have been three BA's in my family, two from new. The only one with any issues has been mine at over 200 000km's. I'm still on original diff bushes, probably stuffed but I haven't noticed. Quality of fit and interior finish is ahead of every AU I have driven. reliability hasn't ever been bought into question.

If the AU hadn't been so visually polarizing BA wouldnt needed to have happen.
Old 25-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
Thats why i like the Falcon, its simple and fun to drive.

Sure its a big lumbering dinosaw but its bulletproof.
It was simple, fun to drive and bulletproof back in the AU days. Let's get back to that
Old 25-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
Uncle Tone
Ploppy pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6
Firstly, I hear that the Commodore is also on the way out.

Secondly, I never thought I'd see you venture off LS1, these Fords don't have MAF sensors!

HAHAHA! Sprung!

Don't really spend time on LS1 anymore.....my interests have swayed back to my blue blood roots.......must be a mid-life thing!

And yes, the GTTS is still running a maf!

Back on topic, perhaps my original post wasn't worded correctly. What I really wanted to know was if a throwback design would have generated enough interest in the Falcon to have it stick around a bit more.....and maybe top the sales charts again?
Old 25-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It was simple, fun to drive and bulletproof back in the AU days. Let's get back to that
id also enjoy not driving around with a bag over my head....
Old 25-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #25
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
I think I have a way to save the Falcon in a few easy steps. It doesn't involve the introduction of a coupe or wagon; they're just a few guidelines which I believe might increase Falcon sales a little. I know I'd buy one.

* The next generation Falcon should be 250kg lighter; a throwback to the AU days. This will make the car feel less cumbersome to the average driver.
* It should be styled by the same mob that styles the European Fords. Those cars are stellar in both interior and exterior styling (especially the Fiesta sedan IMO).
* Get rid of the idiotic fly-by-wire and reintroduce a cable operated throttle. This will open up the enthusiast market; there are individuals who will only buy a car without fly-by-wire.
* Get rid of Control Blade IRS and reintroduce the AU double wishbone IRS. This should be done for both reliability reasons (for the average buyer) and handling reasons (for the enthusiast).
* Up the interior quality to AU levels. Buyers place a large amount of consideration on interior quality, and the ill-fitting passenger frontal airbag cover won't cut it. Don't get me started on the leather trim. Ford used to be able to do it, why not now?
* Harden the seats a little (to AU standards). It seems as if everyone I talk to believes that FG seats are too soft.
* Forget Ford Sync or cumbersome touch screens. Put the Mondeo's tech package and sound system into the Falcon. Falcon buyers deserve quality sound (this hasn't been available since BA).
* Make the thing steer like a Mondeo. I have no idea how it would be done, as I'm no engineer, but I'd love to see it happen. That particular car has superb steering feel. If this isn't possible, make the car steer like an AU.
* Provide a manual transmission option across the range. Fair enough, most drivers in Australia prefer automatic cars, but some enthusiasts (such as myself) will only ever buy a car equipped with a manual transmission. In the FG, you can't even get a manual XT! Speaking of which, Ford, when are you going to import a manual Mondeo? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

People won't buy new cars if they feel that their 1998 model drives better and is better built. Ford of Australia, it's time to forget the BA ever happened and move forward with the Falcon.
Sounds like you just want an AU. There are plenty around.

Get rid of fly by wire, Jesus tap dancing Christ!
Old 25-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tone

Back on topic, perhaps my original post wasn't worded correctly. What I really wanted to know was if a throwback design would have generated enough interest in the Falcon to have it stick around a bit more.....and maybe top the sales charts again?
throwbacks are like a little throw up.......

retro XA.. no thanks..
Old 25-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #27
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
I never said that Ford should reintroduce AU styling. I suggested that the Falcon could follow a styling theme similar to the Mondeo and other european Fords.
Old 25-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
1- Really the AU bashing gets old
2- There is a million threads on why the falcon isnt selling, is dead, is being revived from not being dead etc etc.
we dont need another.
Closed Thread