Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
dustint89
Starter Motor

Default Check Engine Light Focus LS Zetec mk2 2.0

I recently replaced my Air intake with a K&N panel filter and replaced the lower airbox with some piping directed to the front of the car, (Zetec has a little cutaway below the fog lamp)
Now it sounded and felt great for a few days, nice intake sound, but recently the check engine light has come on, and not too sure whether the mod I did created this or it was totally unrelated.

Sometimes it is really sluggish and hesitates to accelerate under 3000rpm, feels like a turbo lag, on a NA engine :S...

I have an OBD to usb cable so it came up with P2008 code.
After some googling, I found that it leads to "Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit/Open Bank 1"
I was able to clear the error using my laptop, but after 10-15minutes of driving, the light came back on with the same error code.

Is this something I could fix, or has it got to do with internal parts of the engine... which I am not confident on working with.
Could it just be a short circuit with sensor wiring?

dustint89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Check Engine Light Focus LS Zetec mk2 2.0

Is it possible to restore your regular intake for a few days? You could clear the code again and see whether it returns. If it doesn't, you'll know where the problem lies. If not, then at least you've eliminated one potential source of the problem.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
dustint89
Starter Motor

The thing is, I threw away my old paper air filter, it was black, it was so dirty, i thought it would be unusable again.
I turned on the car this morning and the light has gone away. Drove it for an hr and it seems fine.
:S hard to show this fault to a mechanic if it's intermittent.
dustint89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

There is a lot about this on the internet, including the American Focus Fanatics / Focaljet forums. It can be an intake manifold vacuum leak, a manifold solenoid problem, or even an issue with IAC valve.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same problem when I had a dirty airfilter. Ive changed it & never had the problem again. maybe its somethng to do with the air cleaner giving a different airflow
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Conquest_Tsi

Hey mate,

I am having the same problem. Problem is having a hard time trying to identify the different parts in the engine bay.

It is a problem with the IMRC solenoid/s or actuator/s, there are two solenoids on the top right of the engine which both have a vac line running to 2 actuators(?) under the throttle body. I am not sure if both are for the IMRC or just one? Vac seems fine.

Wont be a dirty air filter.

Edit: Mine was similar, it was intermittent at times (hesitation) with the light appearing and dissapearing, now the light is not lit but it is throwing the code and hesistates/lags every drive.
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Conquest_Tsi

Hi Guys,

Fixed this issue, lots of googling searching later I assumed the IMRC solenoid was faulty or the IRMC vacuum actuator (this fault code points toward the solenoid..), hard to find information as it is pertinent to the 2.0l duratec and even US/UK engines the parts are different to local focus.

Attached is a pic of the solenoids, this comes as one piece (over seas the soleniods are mounted seperately so need to go to Ford local).

Ford part number: F0 4M5G 9J559 NB
(Control assembly choke) $70

5minute job to install.

Hope this helps someone else!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_C9BE03EA-B504-9AF3-8B07-885537AC0C89.jpg (136.7 KB, 356 views)
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Thanks for the info mate, I'm sure its going to be really handy for a few.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ this just happened to me dammit. Now I know what massive turbo lag would feel like. NO power under 3000rpm, then it comes back on song. Used my scan tool, confirms p2008 code. Looks like I'm off to Ford spare parts this week.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #10
lolbbq
Starter Motor

I think this just happened to me too.

Annoyingly hard to find information on this subject on the web. Even though the code seems pretty common among all cards. Getting specifics for the 2.0 duratec is mad.

Could anybody help me? I am trying to locate the parts where I should trouble shoot on the car. I managed to find the vaccum port on the side of the intake manifold and verified that there is a vacuum and the hose leading out seems to be solid and I can't find any leaks.

Not sure what else to do here as there is just a mass of noodles near the solenoid (if I am even looking at the right place). I do not wish to damage any parts here so any help rendered will be much appreciated!
lolbbq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi lolbbq, the solenoid is located on the drivers side of the engine. It has 4 small rubber vacuum lines attached to it, which simply slide off.

The image above uploaded by conquest_tsi should help you locate it.

The solenoid has 4 screws holding it in place.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
lolbbq
Starter Motor

Iwas under the same impression that the part posted there was the faulty one. How ever Iasked my mechanic and he suspected that the part highlighted in the red box was the one that was faulty (probably because it is connected to the in take manifold. 

These parts were found on the passenger side of th e engine actually.

Is it the same as the engine air shutoff valve? I  called up the few fords around brisbane asking for  the "intake manifold runner control solenoid" was  quoted about 99-100 dollars and was also told tha t it was the engine air shutoff assembly/val ve. 

Will quoting the part above (control assembly choke)get me the part that will resolve the error  code?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140131_165503.jpg (47.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 20140131_165509.jpg (53.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 20140131_165515.jpg (145.7 KB, 184 views)
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
lolbbq
Starter Motor

Sorry for the font problem. There was something wrong with my computer and now they will not let me edit it because it has passed 30 minutes =/
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The part you highlighted in the red box is the throttle body wiring plug.

The solenoid is visible in the second (middle) pic, it has 4 rubber lines going into it, located in front of the green and blue O2 sensor harness plugs.