Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Withnail

Default Mondeo Wagon v Sportwagon boot space

My brother in law bought a Commodore Sportwagon for him and his family last week.

He said he considered the Mondeo wagon but was told by the Holden dealer that the load space of the Commodore is actually bigger than the Mondeo, despite the fact that Ford advertises that the Mondeo wagon has the larger boot.

He said that they measure the load capacity by measuring from the floor to the bottom of the rear window, and as the Sportwagon has its window set lower, it cops a reduced capacity by this measure, but in reality it has the bigger space when measured to the roof (which is what most people would think it should be).

This sounds like salesman bulldust to me, but does anyone have any info on this?

Withnail is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
mpsol
XR5T

Default Re: Mondeo Wagon v Sportwagon boot space

I have both a Mondeo wagon and a Commodore wagon at work.
The Mondeo has smuch more usable space, by a mile..
mpsol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsol
I have both a Mondeo wagon and a Commodore wagon at work.
The Mondeo has smuch more usable space, by a mile..
I nearly bought a V8 Sportswagon 3 years ago when Holden dealers had no finance and they were heavily discounted. But I took one look at the load area and walked out.

I don't know how they calculate load volumes but the Mondeo does have far more usable space.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withnail

He said he considered the Mondeo wagon but was told by the Holden dealer that the load space of the Commodore is actually bigger than the Mondeo,
That's the first mistake your brother in law made I'll be driving a Camry now if I listened to a Toyota dealer instead of my MA TDCi

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like the holden salesman did his job very well. Its a shame, as his Commondore would be worth 30% in 5 years and the mondeo diesel would likely hold its value better over time as well.

on a side note, Given the number of LX TDCi Wagons im seeing with company logos plastered all over them, im saying the LX wagon might have snuck into the slot vacated by the Falcon wagon, quite well. About the same price using half the fuel.....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hijack but how does the Mondeo wagon compare to a Falcon Wagon in terms of space?

I am considering a Mondeo to replace my Falcon wagon - geez even the Mondeo hatch I looked at had a lot of space - haven't compared with a Mondeo wagon yet tho...
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon was designed to carry lots of everything, it was wide, and had an almost vertical boot. the Mondeo wagon, has lots of usable space, but, if you regularly filled to the brim your Falcon, it wont all fit in the Mondeo (with a luggage screen/net/cage) However, if you found that you often had excess space, or got a bit creative with your packing options when fully loaded, it would very likely still work and fit everything in.
It is a massive boot, and for most of the time, it will fit in everything you need.

I dont have one, but i really do want one, and will lease one when my Pajero ends its lease. Just comes down to timing... Dont want to 2 leases at the same time.... but still gotta get the mrs an awesome car
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Falcon was designed to carry lots of everything, it was wide, and had an almost vertical boot. the Mondeo wagon, has lots of usable space, but, if you regularly filled to the brim your Falcon, it wont all fit in the Mondeo (with a luggage screen/net/cage) However, if you found that you often had excess space, or got a bit creative with your packing options when fully loaded, it would very likely still work and fit everything in.
It is a massive boot, and for most of the time, it will fit in everything you need.

I dont have one, but i really do want one, and will lease one when my Pajero ends its lease. Just comes down to timing... Dont want to 2 leases at the same time.... but still gotta get the mrs an awesome car
Wagaon prices are still pretty high it seems, especailly for a Titanium etc... Hatches tho, they're coming down...
Would be tempted by an XR5 if they had Auto's!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
Sorry to hijack but how does the Mondeo wagon compare to a Falcon Wagon in terms of space?

I am considering a Mondeo to replace my Falcon wagon - geez even the Mondeo hatch I looked at had a lot of space - haven't compared with a Mondeo wagon yet tho...
I think the hatch is a wagon in a sense with the back seats down even with the rear seats up it still has heaps of room if you need a wagon for family purpose then yes the wagon may be better if you want a wagon during the week for you and 1 passenger then the hatch is ideal then on the weekend its a family car again

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

The exact opposite reason I bought an XR5...no Auto !!!
Would've been a wagon, but FordOz didn't bring in any MB Titanium 2.5T manual wagons.

Re Mondeo Vs Commodore, I was accosted by a Commodore driver in the shops carpark recently, and he grumbled a bit about GMH quality, and was only put off the Mondeo by front wheel drive (but he was reconsidering his own response on that qstn...). You could hear his brain ticking over....hmmmmm
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
I agrre on that. I really liked the XR5, but I hate manuals. In the end I figured I could put up with having to use a clutch, because I like the car. But if they came in Auto, then that's what I would have bought.

I don't have anything against manuals, but I just hate having to go up and down through gears. I don't see a point to it. Especially in traffic. I prefer to let the car do it.

Eventually when I sell the Mondeo, the next car will be auto.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I agrre on that. I really liked the XR5, but I hate manuals. In the end I figured I could put up with having to use a clutch, because I like the car. But if they came in Auto, then that's what I would have bought.

I don't have anything against manuals, but I just hate having to go up and down through gears. I don't see a point to it. Especially in traffic. I prefer to let the car do it.

Eventually when I sell the Mondeo, the next car will be auto.
I know a lady who drives her manual Mondeo XR5 into the city traffic every day from Mornington rather than take her auto BA Falcon... Likes it that much more...
The new Ecoboost Mondeo comes in Auto - might go alright...