Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Harry Kewell the new face of FPV?

Interesting reading this morning...if this is a repost, I'm sorry - I couldn't find anything about it...

Quote:
TOP PERFORMER KEWELL JOINS FPV

Australia’s biggest sports signing, Harry Kewell, joins Ford Australia as their official Ford Performance Vehicles ambassador

MELBOURNE September 17, 2011: Australia’s number one professional footballer, Harry Kewell has become an official partner of Ford Australia and face of Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV), effective immediately, Ford announced today.

Having recently returned to Australia and as the latest signing to local A-League Melbourne Victory team, the partnership marks the pairing of two of Australia’s high performance athletes.

“Bringing FPV and Harry Kewell together we have created a relationship between two of Australia’s high performing sports brands and this was a natural choice for both. Ford and FPV are incredibly excited to confirm our partnership with Harry as we continue to grow the FPV brand. “ said Rod Barrett, FPV General Manager.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 18-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
xm289
formerly millenium_falcon

Default Re: Harry Kewell the new face of FPV?

what a great signing, be interested to see how they use him
Old 18-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
g220ba
FGX XR8

This must have been one of the outside sponsorships that lured him downunder. Very good signing in my opinion.
Old 18-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Awesome news. Thanks Sezzy.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/09/18/...pv-ambassador/

Old 18-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

That is great! The grey nomads still have AM and those with a pulse can perhaps relate more to HK.

I do say that in jest, I hope AM is kept and ussed for motorsport/club marketing and Kewell can look at "luring" younger people perhaps?

I think Ford/FPV do have image issues with the younger generations, the XR6T has help enormously, and the F6, but the GT IMO is seen as an older mans car. Fair enough too, im sure the average age of an owner is 50 (yes its a guess), but that might have more to do with disposable income aswell.

Either way, a good move as his going to get massive publicity.
Old 18-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Sprint XR8

Old 18-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw him having a couple of hot laps with Will Davison before the Phillip Island race today.. Now I know why. Good signing IMO.
Old 18-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Maybe I'm missing the point. A soccer player winding down his career promoting a performance sedan? Seems a little disjointed to me.
Old 18-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Its got nothing to do with the link but pure marketing. Who do you think is going to be in the news all the time with a FPV logo near by?

When he rocks up at training and they film him getting out of his car..guess what he will be driving....

Just product placement basically. He will do more for brand awareness than AM ever will, AM has the cred with the enthusiasts, but they already know who FPV are.
Old 18-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
That is great! The grey nomads still have AM and those with a pulse can perhaps relate more to HK.

I do say that in jest, I hope AM is kept and ussed for motorsport/club marketing and Kewell can look at "luring" younger people perhaps?

I think Ford/FPV do have image issues with the younger generations, the XR6T has help enormously, and the F6, but the GT IMO is seen as an older mans car. Fair enough too, im sure the average age of an owner is 50 (yes its a guess), but that might have more to do with disposable income aswell.

Either way, a good move as his going to get massive publicity.
What you mean is that those who have actual new motor vehicle driving and buying experience still have the man who drove the Phase 3 GTHO when it won at Bathurst and those playstation drivers have a soccer playing TV personality to talk about when on their breaks during school or university.......

But I suspect you are right about the age of buyers. When I bought my BA GT-P at 44 I was the second youngest person on my FPV day (the first one on QLD). In the subsequent 6 or 7 years money became easy to get and there seemed to be a lot of younger people buying basic GTs with stripes on 7 years finance and 40% balloon (I know a couple of them) but now the economy is a bit tighter and buying an expensive new car is a lot more difficult.

What goes around comes around and shortly the economy and confidence will be strong again and people (of all ages) will be more inclined to buy toys rather than necessities so GT sales will increase.
Old 18-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Back handed praise with that post Flappist?

My point about the younger generation is that building the brand is not always about targeting buyers right now. When people go on about HSV/Holden having good marketing its not just about the adds on TV. They somehow get into the minds of younger people, the brand is just about a household name. I wouldnt be confident saying the same for FPV.

Todays dreamers are tomorrows buyers, doesnt mean you spend all of your energy on them but to discount them as useless is also incorrect and doesnt help for growing your business.

Hence why I think AM is good for current buyers and someone like Kewell, who is going to get MASSIVE airtime (I dont like soccer, but his in the news down here all the time now) is good for growth and attraction.

Put it this way, its sure as hell not going to hurt the brand. And if all it takes is a company car and some V8SC tickets then thats cheap IMO.
Old 18-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

I am am a Football tragic, I have played, coached, refereed and administered the game locally, so I am biased.
It seems a positive move to me, maybe not to the next person.
If you needed a celebrity or sports star to sell cars who would it be? Maybe that should be another topic!
Harry Kewell is nearing the end of his playing days, like a lot of other players who have been here before playing in the A league, as they are not a hot item in Europe where the REAL money and competition is.
Harry is a BIG draw card when he is here playing football and doesn't have a bad reputation or a chequered past.
Football (soccer) is like cricket & basketball, it isn't tied to states. It is played all over the nation with very high junior registrations.
These kids look up to these type of players. Hopefully this will be ground work by Ford or FPV for the future buyers!
This signing by Ford or FPV would have been part of the sign on package with Melbourne Victory, He wouldn't be cheap, I wonder what Hyundia (as an A League sponsor) have to say about this.

Last edited by 4stanger; 18-09-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 18-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fantastic news. You'll be surprised how many people have no idea who AM is
Old 18-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hold up, people actually watch anything to do with Soccer here?
Old 18-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Is Allan moffat is an ambassador aswell? Couple of people on Facebook saying fpv dumped him?
Old 18-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Hold up, people actually watch anything to do with Soccer here?
It works the way around.
Old 18-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #17
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Moffat wasn't a comfortable, marketable fit IMO.

Hk will provide a greater level of exposure to the aspirational market, tomorrows owners.

While a lot of those kids won't buy one in the short term, as a longer term strategy it should work well.

Moffat was never an approachable, yet alone likable guy. Unlike someone like john bowe. He would have been a better fit than a retired dude with an accent.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 18-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good signing. Kewell has done wonders for the Politix brand, hopefully he can do the same for FPV.
Old 18-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Maybe I'm missing the point. A soccer player winding down his career promoting a performance sedan? Seems a little disjointed to me.
.......... and if he signed with HSV there would be whinging because FPV missed a marketing opportunity. I suppose there is always those that what ever happens they are there to knock ........ bit of a coup if you ask me and I don't follow soccer at all.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #20
RAPID_BA
Banned

I used to go to school and play soccer with harry kewell in the earlier years, a trememdous talent not only at soccer but other sports too.

I've seen him do some magical things on the soccer field that is obviously harder to pull off against international competition. At the age of 8 I was certain he would at least play for australia.

Fpv can't do any harm to associate with such champions. He really is at the top of his game.
Old 18-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #21
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
.......... and if he signed with HSV there would be whinging because FPV missed a marketing opportunity. I suppose there is always those that what ever happens they are there to knock ........ bit of a coup if you ask me and I don't follow soccer at all.
Damned if you do, damned if you dont. One thing I guess about ford fans, they are never satisfied.

Kewell coming back to Australia will do good things for Football in this country. Well, that's the plan I'm sure. So why wouldn't ford want to be part of this. Yeah it's nice to have racing legends as ambassador's, but there's a new generation of FPV buyers coming along. Not many of the younger generation can associate with Moffat and most never saw him race anything outside of Youtube. I don't think many people care who Moffat is. He's just some old dood who used to drive fords at Bathurst. A different era. Having Kewell onboard is a good thing.
Old 18-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
AMGC63
Banned

Ok, lets see.... On one hand you have HK, an idol to many 15 to 50 year old sports orientated men, then you have FPV, trying to sell their brand to 15 to 50 year old sports orientated men..

Seems like a great "connect" for FPV.
Old 18-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Perhaps his english/aussie hybrid accent that attracts him to FPV?

FPV should sign Fevola while they're at it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 18-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #24
kinksta
Luxojet

Ford will kick some goals with this.... oh wait Soccer, bugger all goals haha.

All jokes aside I can't see this hurting Ford.
Old 18-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #25
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
Ford will kick some goals with this.... oh wait Soccer, bugger all goals haha.

All jokes aside I can't see this hurting Ford.
Best Ford can hope for is a 1-1 draw, I'd reckon.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 18-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #26
No.6

as a young guy (27 is still young...right?) i could not relate at all to allan moffat. He peaked no interest in me for fpv products whatsoever. He was just an old man with an accent driving a car that had something to do with fords.

Take that as the average car buyers attitude. AM appeals to those car enthusiasts mainly from his generation or those that grew up watching him in his racing days. Its a very limited marketing option. HK on the other hand is internationally well known soccer player..a sport watched by thousands if not millions more than v8 supercar fans.

Its a good move and will definitely work in fords favour.
Old 18-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
Ford will kick some goals with this.... oh wait Soccer
a lot of lying on the ground having a cry?
Old 18-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #28
bingoTE50
Steve

Interesting considering Hyundai sponsor the A League.You would have thought Hyundai would have snapped him up considering he is the marquee player.
Old 18-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #29
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
a lot of lying on the ground having a cry?
Least it wont be a crappy provincial game only played in certain states of Aus.
Bogan free zone.
Old 18-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #30
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd still go for Eric Bana and John Bowe. But that's just my 2 cents

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
Closed Thread