Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
tagz_orange

Default im an idiot :(

so was on my way to fix a mates motorbike lastnight and as i was reversing out of my "driveway" at 9 30 at night there just so happened to be a dark blue fg xr6 that i didnt see

:( i hit it :(

not much damage to mine as i was mid point turn but i hit him right in the sweet spot, right between the drivers side door and front quarter so shattering first thing i thought to myself is why couldnt it at least have be an old commodore :| but got on my horse went across the road and owned up :(

now ill admit im in the wrong i shoulda seen the car and checked surrondings before leaving. they were arguing the point across that my "driveway" isnt a driveway because it doesnt have a junction or junction box or something along those lines even tho i have been parking my car there for the last 19 and a half months? do i have any legs to stand on at all or is what they saying true.

dont get me wrong im not trying to get out of what happened i just would like advice for the piece of mind
thanks guys

Rip shifter, CAI, mini spool, 2.5in exhaust system w/ 4' tip
Visual:
18in ba xr8 wheels, mesh grills, painted Dash spears, digital blue drift gauges, blue interior lighting, xr badged door scuffs. Lowered allround
Audio:
flip out DVD player, 2x12in cadence subs in slimline box, pioneer mono amp with bass controller

Old 29-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
scottyg938
Stock Boss

Default Re: im an idiot :(

pics of driveway and lead up to driveway?

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
Old 29-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I dont see how it could be their fault, you reversed into a parked car? that sux
Maybe if they were parked across some of your driveway or something you might have a leg

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
Old 29-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
nstg8a

doesnt make any difference. your in the wrong and have to pay, i dont see why they would be trying to kick up any more of a fuss if you have already admitted liability?
Old 29-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
El Caballo
Token American

You did the right thing, you fessed up, just let the insurance company figure it out now. An idiot would have run off....
Old 29-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, you're not an idiot, you did the right thing...the sort of thing you'd hope that someone would have the courtesy to do for you if they did the same to your car.

It's a tricky one if there isn't an actual driveway. I notice you put "driveway" in commers, as if it isn't technically a driveway but just an area you leave your yard onto the road. I'd have no hesitation parking my car behind a car that was nosed up across someones yard, if I knew I wasn't parked over a legitimate and marked "driveway".

Once again, good on you for manning up and admitting your mistake.
Old 29-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only time they could have been in the wrong is if they have parked within 1 meter of a legitimate driveway, which is illegal (at least it is in NSW). I dont think that would excuse you for running into them though
Old 29-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Zero_PSI
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo
You did the right thing, you fessed up, just let the insurance company figure it out now. An idiot would have run off....
Was just thinking that..........wait....

Good to see you fessed up like a man. Props for that.
Old 29-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is a propper driveway they are in the wrong (legally), it is illegal to obstruct a driveway. Technicly you can get fined for obstucting your own drive.

EDIT in saying that it would be a shared resposiblilty if it came to it id say

Last edited by starkersEB; 29-08-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 29-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
ToCo
Drives a Ute!

Sorry mate, I was on the receiving end of one of these types of incidents, the lady argued the same point, except I was well in my rights to park where I did. She had to pay.
I'm glad she did too, because she tried to take off, even though i was standing near the car when it happened, waving my arms and yelling...
Old 29-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkersEB
If it is a propper driveway they are in the wrong (legally), it is illegal to obstruct a driveway. Technicly you can get fined for obstucting your own drive.

Yep I copped a fine for obscuring my own driveway took it to court & still had to pay the fine,but back on toppic good onya for fessing up I personally cant see there problem because you fessed up , just let the insurance company sort it out ,your property you can park were you want

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
Old 29-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToCo
Sorry mate, I was on the receiving end of one of these types of incidents, the lady argued the same point, except I was well in my rights to park where I did. She had to pay.
I'm glad she did too, because she tried to take off, even though i was standing near the car when it happened, waving my arms and yelling...
even if she did take off, a couple of hours driving around im sure you would have found her somewhere on the island, not like she could of gone far lol sorry off topic

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
Old 29-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkersEB

just becauseits illegal to obstruct a driveway doesnt absolve the op off fault, as hes admitted.

doesnt matter if you park smack dab in the centre of the road, if someone drives into a stationary car then theyre at fault.
Old 29-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
theboxmike

That sucks man...
Old 29-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

You are 100% at fault mate, no if's or buts.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 29-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

manned up = legend...... many a rat has fled......
Old 29-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep the car could be parked in front of a fire hydrant upside down selling guns from the boot, as long as it was stationary and you hit it then you are at fault. Sucks hey! Good on you for owning up though. A lady recently hit me in a car park and left her number, insurance sorted it all out in a week. What comes around goes around.
Old 29-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #18
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
Yep the car could be parked in front of a fire hydrant upside down selling guns from the boot, as long as it was stationary and you hit it then you are at fault. Sucks hey! Good on you for owning up though. A lady recently hit me in a car park and left her number, insurance sorted it all out in a week. What comes around goes around.
Yep ..... this sums things up to a T. Its a bummer and sucks but you cannot reverse into something that is stationary.

Lets leave it at that as the question has been well and truly answered now.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread